|Cid: Oh, shut up and help me remodel the Zertinan Caverns page!|
|Please expand this article into a full one. This can be done by Adding a Locations section, with images and brief descriptions of the areas within the location. This request can be discussed on the associated discussion page.|
- “You seem a great warrior, but it is best you avoid Zertinan Caverns. There are many fell creatures there, and of late, worse...”
- —Garif Warrior
The Zertinan Caverns (ゼルテニアン洞窟, Zerutenian dōkutsu?) are a location in the land of Ivalice in Final Fantasy XII. They are a vast network of caves that run under the regions of Dalmasca, Jagd Yensa, and the Bancour regions, connecting the continents of Ordalia and Kerwon. The Caverns can be accessed from Dalmasca Westersand, Ogir-Yensa Sandsea, Nam-Yensa Sandsea, and the Ozmone Plain.
Zertinan Caverns is an optional area and can be deadly for a party wandering inside too early in the game, so it is suggested that a party of at least an average level of 20+. The Esper Adrammelech can be found inside, as well as numerous Hunts and Rare Game.
- “A great cavern complex stretching along the length of the inland sea between Ordalia and Kerwon. Its passages twist and turn, winding their way from the Jagd Yensa to Dalmasca, and even Bancour. Labyrinthine and dark, the caverns provide an excellent place for criminals and bandits to hide from the authorities. The reaches near the Great Yensan Sandsea are known for their frequent deadly subterranean sand drifts, and the fierce wyrms that make their home there. Nearer to the Bancour, the smell of brine grows stronger, and many of the cavern mouths open out onto cliffs overlooking the sea.”
- —Sage Knowledge 51, Zertinan Caverns
- Invitation to Heresy (to Dalmasca Westersand)
- The Balamka Fault (to the Ogir-Yensa Sandsea)
- Drybeam Cavern
- Darkened Wharf (to the Nam-Yensa Sandsea)
- Canopy of Clay (to the Ogir-Yensa/Nam-Yensa Sandsea)
- Hourglass Basin
- Athroza Quicksands
- The Undershore
- Halls of Ardent Darkness (to Ozmone Plain)
Zertinan Caverns has many treasures. The most common item treasures are common recovery items and gambits. With the Diamond Armlet the common item treasure is Knot of Rust, and the rare item is a Holy Mote or Elixir.
In Invitation to Heresy a treasure along the southwestern wall can be the Barbut. In the Sandfalls, the treasure in the northeast corner can be the Iron Hammer, but the player must open a path by rolling down a boulder to build a bridge to get there.
The Hourglass Basin area has a cut-off area in the east that can only be accessed via a hidden passage from the Save Crystal area. The treasure at the very end of this area can be a Chanter's Djellaba.
In the northeast of the Drybeam Cavern the player may find the Feathered Cap. In Halls of Ardent Darkness, which exits to the Ozmone Plain, a treasure can spawn with the Traveler's Vestment in the east of the area.
- Scythe Mantis
- Silicon Tortoise
- Shambling Corpse
- Marilith (Mark)
- Catoblepas (Mark)
- Alteci (Rare)
- Molen (Rare)
- Adrammelech (Optional Esper)
|"The Zertinan Caverns"|
|Trouble with the audio sample?|
The theme of the location is simply called "The Zertinan Caverns" (ゼルテニアン洞窟, Zerutenian Dōkutsu?).
- Note: areas highlighted in red are hidden passages that do not appear on the map.
- A garif says that in an ancient language, Zertinan means "the Underworld."