Know suffering! Know death!
Zeromus (ゼロムス, Zeromusu?) is the final boss of Final Fantasy IV. It is the spirit and hatred of Zemus, reborn after his death. In the 3D remake version he is voiced by Michael McConnohie, who also voiced Fusoya and Cagnazzo.
My hatred will not be stanched until it has consumed all else! You shall be next. Come! Pass into this darkness I have wrought!
Zeromus appears within the core of the Red Moon. After Fusoya and Golbez kill Zemus, Zeromus materializes out of his corpse and attacks them, wounding Cecil and his allies. Golbez and Fusoya attack Zeromus, casting the legendary Meteor, but Zeromus is incorporeal and the attacks do nothing. Golbez attempts to use a Crystal to render Zeromus vulnerable, but as Golbez is tainted in darkness, him using the Crystal is pointless. Zeromus casts his own Meteor, knocking down Fusoya, Golbez, and the party.
With seemingly no one left to stand against Zeromus, Palom and Porom (on Earth) sense Cecil is in danger. The Elder of Mysidia leads Cecil's allies in prayer to send strength to him, giving him and his allies the power to stand again. Using the Crystal Golbez gives to him, Cecil renders Zeromus corporeal, revealing his true form. When killed, Zeromus fades, but warns he will always exist as long as there is hatred in the hearts of people.
Evil is evolution at its purest...
- —Zeromus's Malice
The Mysterious Girl drains the Crystals of the Red Moon of their energy and they shatter as Golbez and Fusoya race to the center of the moon to ensure the rest of the Lunarians are safe. When they reach the core the final Crystal shatters, and with them gone Zeromus's restraints fail, and he is reborn as Zeromus's Malice.
After the two fight Zeromus's Malice he uses Big Bang to weaken them, and Fusoya teleports Golbez to the Lunar Whale, urging him to get to Earth and help protect its Crystals. The fates of Fusoya, the Lunarians and Zeromus are unknown, with Golbez setting out in the Lunar Whale to investigate them if he survives.
Final Fantasy IVEdit
- Main article: Zeromus (Final Fantasy IV Boss)
As the final boss, Zeromus is a dangerous opponent. He has two signature moves, Black Hole, which nullifies any status effects (positive, or negative) on the party, and Big Bang, which does massive non-elemental damage. He also has access to Bio, Flare, and Meteor.
In the Advance and The Complete Collection releases of Final Fantasy IV, Zeromus EG appears in the Lunar Ruins as an optional superboss. He knows several elemental and status spells along with the original Zeromus's Black Hole and Big Bang.
Final Fantasy IV: The After YearsEdit
- Main article: Zeromus's Malice
Zeromus is revived as Zeromus's Malice and is fought at the Crystal Palace. He can use Big Bang, but only once as his final attack.
Zeromus appears as one of the enemies.
Zeromus appears with a lightning-elemental card.
Non-Final Fantasy AppearancesEdit
Puzzle & DragonsEdit
Zeromus is set to appear in Puzzle and Dragons as part of the Final Fantasy Collaboration.
Zeromus is an extended version of Zemus, which is Amharic for "Prayer". Perhaps because of the added 'Zero', it means "No Prayer".
- In the Advance and Complete Collection releases, Zeromus refers to himself in the plural as "we." The reason for this is unknown, and no other release gives him this trait.
- The Esper Zeromus from Ivalice is named after him. They both have Big Bang as their signature attack and are both corrupted by hatred. The Esper's design is a composite of the original and the "Zeromus EG" version, retaining various crustacean-like qualities.
- In Dissidia Final Fantasy, Golbez's ultimate weapon is the Zeromus Shard.
- It's possible for certain copies of Final Fantasy IV to freeze if the player goes back and forth between doors 64 times: 64 Door Hierarchy Glitch. Square's defunct newsletter, "Ogopogo Examiner" wrote this glitch off as a "trap created by Zeromus."
- In the Nintendo DS version of Final Fantasy IV, a Zeromus costume for Whyt can be obtained by completing the Bestiary.
- In the SNES version there exists a bug: if Cecil is equipping the Avenger he cannot use the Crystal on the first form of Zeromus because he is berserked, effectively making the battle impossible.