- “Heretic scion who wrapped the world in dark energies, seeking to take the souls of all living things unto himself. Created in opposition to Emet-Selch, Angel of Truth, and scion of light. Originally tasked with the judging of men upon their deaths, his soul was tainted by the curses of those who raged against the heavens, and seizing one of the gods' servants, a shamaness, as a hostage, he rebelled against his creators. Even now, in defeat, he clutches the shamaness to him in his right arm, and with the aid of her death-wail does he summon the soul of darkness to do his bidding.”
- —Clan Primer Bio
Zalera the Death Seraph (死の天使ザルエラ, Shi no Tenshi Zaruera?, lit. "Zalera the Angel of Death") is a recurring summon and creature in Ivalice. He is associated with the Zodiac sign of Gemini, the Twins. His element is Death, and his color sign is violet. His appearance is that of a hellish angel with a shamaness grafted onto his arm. He is known for summoning undead to fight alongside him. He is also referred to as the Mithuna Ascendant, which is the Sanskrit name of its Zodiac sign as used in Jyotish (Hindu) astrology.
- For the battle information, see: Zalera (Final Fantasy XII)
Zalera is an optional Esper found in the Barheim Passage, his existence being foreshadowed by NPCs mentioning hearing a woman's screams from deep inside the tunnel. He fights by summoning Dead Bones to attack and using status attacks that hit dependent on the levels of the party members. If the player cannot defeat Zalera within five minutes they are teleported out of the room and must begin the battle over.
Zalera's license costs 25 LP, and he requires one Mist Charge to summon.
Condemnation: is Zalera's ultimate attack. Zalera warps the enemy to another world, and opens his right arm to reveal the shamaness who screams, calling a storm of dark clouds from which souls pour out and create a storm of twisters. The attack instantly kills all enemies with less than 9,999 max HP (6,999 HP for those with the Damage Resist augment), and those with more are hit with non-elemental damage that can break the damage limit.
In Final Fantasy XII International, Zalera no longer casts Holy or Shock. Instead he has Cura, Warp, and Death. He no longer absorbs Holy-elemental attacks. Condemnation's damage is randomly generated.
|1||Foe: HP < 30%||Condemnation|
|2||Foe: character HP > 80%||Kill|
|3||Foe: nearest visible||Shock|
|4||Self: HP < 100%||Holy|
- Attack: 62
- Defense: 39
- Magick Defense: 25
|Level||Max HP||Max MP||Speed||Strength||Magic||Vitality|
- Ignore target's VIT when inflicting status effects
- MP consumption halved
- Piercing Magick
- “Death Seraph who scathes foes with angelic light.”
- —In-game Description
- For the battle information, see: Zalera (Revenant Wings)
Zalera returns, along with some other Espers, in Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings as a Non-Elemental Ranged Rank III summon. Though his nature is Holy, he is not classified as a healing unit like Ultima, because Zalera cannot heal units, rather harnessing the power of light for devastating attacks.
Chaos or Exodus must be obtained on the Ring of Pacts before Zalera's node can be reached. Zalera is fought at the Paramina Rift in Mission 74: Dance of the Dead. Defeating him earns Basch his Quickening, Apocalypse Shield.
- "Holy": Deals damage to one foe, Zombies and Vampyrs are weak to it.
- "Holyja": The same holy, but stronger and hits every foe in range.
- For the battle information, see: Zalera (Tactics)
Zalera is one of the Lucavi, and possesses Messam Elmdore as a host during much of the game. It is known as the Angel of Death, and is the third Lucavi demon Ramza Beoulve must fight. Zalera is assisted by two Ultima Demons, Celia and Lettie. During the battle Zalera calls on several undead units to aid him.
Zalera appears as a Scion. He can be called by anyone equipping the Earrings of the Dead when the Smash Gauge turns orange. When summoned, he performs his Wrath, Condemnation, which does Dark-elemental damage to all foes and inflicts both Sleep and Doom.
During the mission to recruit Montblanc, Zalera calls them the Reaper's Ring. The earrings are obtained by completing the quest The Last Step, the final quest in the step sequence.
Zalera appears as a Summonstone bought from a Moogle Shop in the northwestern continent for 120 KP. When equipped, his Condemnation will activate once the enemy has 9999 BRV and instantly inflicts Break status on them.
Zalera is represented by a card bearing its Final Fantasy XII art. It bears an effect based on its Level Prime Death ability, Breaking all the opponent's Dull Forwards of cost 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, or 13.
Zalera's name may be an anagram of Azrael, the name of the Angel of Death in Islam.