Yoshinori Kitase (北瀬 佳範, Kitase Yoshinori?) is a game director and scenario writer for Square Enix, and has been directing several Square Enix games. He also became producer after Hironobu Sakaguchi left, and produced Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X-2.
Kitase graduated in cinema at the Nihon University College of Art. In 1990, he was hired by Square, even though he didn't have any computer knowledge. He was the director of Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VIII. As he puts it, his role was that of an "event scripter". He would direct the characters' expressions and movements, the settings and the timing of music transitions, much like a stage director.
Hironobu Sakaguchi, the series creator, then chose Kitase to be a producer for the main series. Kitase would then produce Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy X-2, Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XIII-2. After being in the position of producer, Kitase chose a director for some of the next games: Motomu Toriyama.
Works Within the Series
|Final Fantasy V||Field Planner|
|Final Fantasy VI||Director (with Hiroyuki Itō)|
|Final Fantasy Adventure||Scenario Writer|
|Final Fantasy VII||Director|
|Final Fantasy VIII||Director, Game Designer|
|Final Fantasy X||Producer, Game Designer|
|Final Fantasy X-2||Producer|
|Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children||Producer (with Shinji Hashimoto)|
|Dirge of Cerberus -Final Fantasy VII-||Producer, Original Concept|
|Crisis Core -Final Fantasy VII-||Producer, Game Designer, Event Planner|
|Dissidia Final Fantasy||Producer|
|Final Fantasy XIII||Producer, Game Designer|
|Final Fantasy XIII-2||Producer|
|Final Fantasy Type-0||Producer, Scenario Supervisor|
|Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII||Producer|
- Kitase has stated that his favorite game in the series is Final Fantasy VII and his favorite character is Cloud Strife. 
- Tetsuya Nomura, director of Final Fantasy XV, stated he considers Yoshinori Kitase one of his four "seniors" as an influence on his game design & direction.
- Kitase has stated his favourite Final Fantasy X scene is the ending. Specifically when Yuna attempts to run into Tidus's arms.
- ↑ http://www.videogamer.com/psp/dissidia_final_fantasy/news/yoshinori_kitase_on_ffxiii_ffvii_and_dissidia.html?page=2
- ↑ http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Iwata-Asks/Iwata-Asks-Nintendo-3DS-Third-Party-Game-Developers/Vol-11-KINGDOM-HEARTS-3D-Dream-Drop-Distance-/3-Square-s-Intentions/3-Square-s-Intentions-839620.html
- ↑ http://www.denkiphile.com/2014/03/16/interview-with-final-fantasy-director-kitase-yoshinori-and-art-director-naora-yusuke/