|White Mage: Life's refreshing breeze, blow in energy! Cure!|
|This article can be improved in areas such as grammar, style, formatting, and spelling.|
Please refer to the Manual of Style or Editing Help to get started.
- “I am the blade of vengeance. They dare only whisper my name: Yojimbo.”
- —Yojimbo, Final Fantasy X
Yojimbo (用心棒, Yōjinbō?) is an aeon from Final Fantasy X. He is acquired by visiting the Cavern of the Stolen Fayth, where the player must hire him to become Yuna's aeon. Yojimbo acts as a sword-for-hire and has four different attacks, depending on how much the player pays him as well as a complex mathematical formula based on his worker-employer relationship with Yuna and several other factors. Yojimbo functions similarly to Odin and Gilgamesh from previous Final Fantasy games.
With his most powerful attack, Zanmato, Yojimbo is able to instantly kill fiends and bosses.
With a wave of the summoner's staff, a night-time dimension forms, featuring a single cherry tree in bloom, with blue flowers. A bark is heard, and Yojimbo's dog, Daigoro, appears first to greet the summoner. Yojimbo slowly walks out from behind the tree, then turns with a sweep of his coat and calls upon his dog to start the battle. When Yojimbo is summoned into battle, the sound effect is the same as what was used in Final Fantasy VIII as the magic spell effect.
Yojimbo can be recruited at the Cavern of the Stolen Fayth near the entrance to Mt. Gagazet. Yojimbo will initially ask the player for hundreds of thousands of gil to be hired, but it is possible to haggle with him. In order to get Yojimbo for a cheaper price, the player must offer him half the initial gil he is asking for plus one gil, and he will change his price.
One can continue increasing the price by one gil until he agrees to it. If the player then pays Yojimbo triple what he is asking, he will give two Teleport Spheres as a token of his appreciation. This will still work after having "haggled" with him.
- See the Summon and Overdrive sequences here.
- Daigoro: Yojimbo's dog will attack on his command. As it is his weakest move, Yojimbo will shake his head before using Daigoro, as if to disapprove of the amount of money the party gave him.
- Kozuka: Yojimbo throws several kozuka (a special throwing knife made to fit inside a wakizashi's scabbard) at a single target.
- Wakizashi: Yojimbo slashes single/multiple targets with his wakizashi (his short sword).
- Zanmato: Yojimbo calls his katana out of a portal in the ground and uses it to slice all enemies in half. It instantly kills any enemy in the game, with the exceptions of Sin (when fighting face-to-face on the airship), Yunalesca and Braska's Final Aeon, which will only move to the next form (unless they have already reached their final form, in which case Zanmato will kill them). If Yojimbo will perform Zanmato he will nod upon receiving the money.
The player must pay Yojimbo gil every time they want him to attack. How much one pays him influences what he uses to attack. The highest chance of using Zanmato occurs with a payment of at least 536,870,912 Gil.
There is also a hidden compatibility value that influences what attack Yojimbo will use. It decreases if Yojimbo uses Daigoro, is paid 0 Gil, is KO'd, or is dismissed with the Dismiss command immediately after being summoned and increases if Yojimbo uses Wakizashi or Zanmato. Another factor in deciding whether Yojimbo uses Zanmato is the enemy's Zanmato Level; the higher the Zanmato Level, the less likely Zanmato will be used.
Yojimbo has no Overdrive, but if his Overdrive meter is full, the chance of him performing his stronger attacks increases. The chance of Yojimbo using his stronger moves is much higher in the International/PAL versions of Final Fantasy X.
- Main article: Yojimbo (Final Fantasy X Boss)
Yojimbo's Final Fantasy Airborne Brigade appearance has a card in Final Fantasy Trading Card Game.
A figure of Yojimbo was made for the Final Fantasy X Action Figure Collection by ArtFX. Listed as No.2 in the series, the Yojimbo figure comes complete with Zanmato and Wakizashi swords, Kozuka throwing knife and Daigoro, as well as a mountable stand for display. A later version of "Dark Aeon Yojimbo" was released using the same figure mold and accessories, as Final Fantasy X-2 merchandise.
A figure of Yojimbo was also made for the Final Fantasy Master Creatures second set, featuring him slashing with Zanmato as Daigoro is pouncing.
When Yuna visits Yojimbo's fayth to hire him as an aeon, he calls himself Yojimbo. Despite this, the player can still rename him. "Yojimbo" means "bodyguard" in Japanese. The Kanji (Japanese characters) can also mean "sword/service for hire", befitting his pay-off system.
- If the player revisits Yojimbo the fayth reassures Tidus that he will never be forgotten.
- When Yuna prays to Yojimbo's fayth in Final Fantasy X, ribbons are briefly shown binding it, which say "SEAL" in Yevon script.
- Look here for a simplified, easy-to-understand mathematical description of Yojimbo and his attacks.
- Look here for a more complex, harder to understand, but much more detailed mathematical description of Yojimbo and his attacks (this includes calculations for PAL/International versions of the game as well, along with probability (Percentile) tables for all versions).