Final Fantasy Wiki

Yojimbo (Final Fantasy VI)

21,470 pages on
this wiki
Add New Page
Talk0 Share


Attacks with Wind Slash, and Tradeoff when close to death. Tradeoff reduces its target to Wound status with one hit.
Final Fantasy VI PlayStation Bestiary entry

The Yojimbo, otherwise known as the Retainer, is an enemy in Final Fantasy VI.

Stats Edit

Final Fantasy VI enemy stats
#238#239 (GBA) #240
#215 #216 (Mobile/PC) #217
Names Location Type Other information
SNES: Retainer
PS: Retainer
GBA: Yojimbo
Mobile/PC: Yojimbo
Kefka's Tower Humanoid Delivers Critical Hits when in Imp status. Harder to run from.
Level HP MP Attack Magic
59 7,050 2,600 13 5
Defense Magic Defense Magic Evasion Speed Hit Rate
0 180 0 35 100
Evasion EXP Gil
40 2,300 2,000
Elemental affinities
Fire-icon-ffvi Ice-icon-ffvi Lightning-icon-ffvi Poison-icon-ffvi Holy-icon-ffvi
100% 100% 100% 200% 100%
Earth-icon-ffvi Wind-icon-ffvi Water-icon-ffvi Restorative Instant Death
100% 100% 100% -100%Absorbs 100%
Statuses and immunities
Blind Zombie Poison Magitek Invisible Imp Petrify Death Doom Critical
Immune - - - - - Immune Immune Immune Immune
Image Silence Berserk Confuse Sap Sleep Float Regen Slow Haste
- - - Immune - Immune - - - -
Stop Shell Protect Reflect Meteor Strike Libra Sketch Control Fractional Invincible
- - - - - - - - Immune -
Items (GBA/Mobile/PC)
Steal Item dropped Metamorphose
(Miss rate: 57.1%)

[12.5%Applies when successful; success based on users' level, doubles with Thief's Bracer.] Masamune
None [Slot 1 (25%)]Potion
[Slot 2 (25%)]Potion
[Slot 3 (25%)]Potion
[Slot 4 (25%)]Genji Glove
Morph ID: 16
Abilities (GBA/Mobile/PC)
Attack Abilities Rage Sketch Control & Confuse (Immune)
Normal Attack: Kiku-ichimonji
Special Attack: Eye for an Eye (Inflicts Death)
Wind Slash Attack, Shock Eye for an Eye, Wind Slash Attack, Eye for an Eye, Wind Slash, Doom

Battle Edit

They mostly use physical attacks, but have a chance to use Wind Slash on their fourth turn. They can attack twice in a row.

The true danger of the Yojimbo is when they are killed, as they always use Eye for an Eye, which kills the party member that killed the Yojimbo and ignores immunity to Death.

Yojimbo's Rage is notable for allowing Gau to use Shock, the special attack of General Leo. The Yojimbo Rage is the only way the player can use Shock freely in battle.

Strategy Edit

Imp status gives Yojimbo automatic critical hits, but causes Yojimbo to counter with a normal attack instead of Eye for an Eye when defeated.

Otherwise, the only way to avoid losing a party member to Eye for an Eye is to have the finishing blow delivered by another enemy, or by a party member that can evade special attacks. Invisible status, Image status, and Golem's protection cause Eye for an Eye to miss. Interceptor's protection and Evasion (Magic Evasion in the pre-Advance versions, due to the Evade bug) give a chance to evade Eye for an Eye.

Alternatively, a party member under Reraise status can deliver the finishing blow. That member will automatically revive if Eye for an Eye hits.

Coliseum setup Edit

Bet Genji Shield for Thunder Shield
Bet Snow Scarf for Ward Bangle
Bet Ward Bangle for Dragon Horn
Bet Zanmato for Godhand

Yojimbo is a hard enemy within the Coliseum. A character should have the best equipment, such as the Genji equipment, on hand; a Mirage Vest is a possible alternative, but the player should keep in mind that Image status won't last long against the physical Yojimbo. Kagenui can prolong Image status by casting Stop, which prevents Yojimbo from attacking, except for the final counterattack.

As in encounters outside the Coliseum, Yojimbo will counter the finishing blow with Eye for an Eye. If Eye for an Eye hits, the match is lost rather than won. Mirage Vest's Image status, if it holds out long enough, Interceptor, or high Evasion (Magic Evasion in the pre-Advance versions) can cause Eye for an Eye to miss.

Gogo can turn Eye for an Eye against Yojimbo by equipping three Sketch commands; each Sketch will produce Eye for an Eye with a 25% chance, or Wind Slash with a 75% chance. Gogo will still have to evade Yojimbo's Eye for an Eye counter, however.

Formations Edit

Number Enemies Encounter flags Introduction flag Musical theme Magic AP
Norm.Normal Back Surr.Surrounded Side
426 Yojimbo x2, Dark Force Y Y Y Y Sides, individual Battle 4
427 Demon Knight, Yojimbo Y Y Y Y Sides, individual Battle 3
534 Yojimbo x2, Dark Force Y Y Y Y Sides, individual Battle
535 Demon Knight, Yojimbo Y Y Y Y Sides, individual Battle
542 Yojimbo x2, Ahriman x2 Y Y Y Y Sides, individual Battle
593 Outsider x2, Yojimbo Y N N N Sides, individual Battle
601 Dinozombie, Yojimbo Y N N N Sides, individual Battle

AI scripts Edit

Normal script Edit

Attack Turns:
1st Turn: Attack (66%) or Nothing (33%)

Attack (66%) or Nothing (33%)

2nd Turn: Attack (66%) or Nothing (33%)

Attack (66%) or Nothing (33%)

3rd Turn: Attack (66%) or Nothing (33%)

Attack (66%) or Nothing (33%)

4th Turn: Wind Slash (33%) or Attack (33%) or Nothing (33%)

If killed: Eye for an Eye (100%)

Coliseum script Edit

Attack Turns:
1st Turn: Attack (25%) or Eye for an Eye (25%) or Wind Slash (25%) or Doom (25%)

If killed: Eye for an Eye (100%)

Other appearances Edit

Pictlogica Final Fantasy Edit


PFF Yojimbo
Baknamy FFTA2This article or section is a stub about an enemy in Pictlogica Final Fantasy. You can help the Final Fantasy Wiki by expanding it.

Etymology Edit

Yojimbo (用心棒) means "bodyguard" in Japanese.

Yojimbo in the older versions was known as Retainer. Bastard feudalism is feudalism in the Late Middle Ages, primarily in England. Its main characteristic is military, political, legal, or domestic service in return for money, office, and/or influence. The gentry began to think of themselves as the men of their lord rather than of the king; individually they are known as the "retainers", and collectively as the "affinity" of the lord, among other terms.

Related enemies Edit


  • Yojimbo's Shock is internally called Megashock (Gameboy/Mobile) or Megahit (SNES/PS).