World A (I)
The World of Balance (世界崩壊前, Sekai Hōkai Mae?), or WoB for short, is the title given to the unnamed world of Final Fantasy VI for the first half of the game. Its title comes from the balance of power between the Warring Triad that holds the world together.
The world was created by the Statues in ancient times, and they were responsible for keeping it in balance. During the War of the Magi, however, their power became unstable, and corrupted various denizens of the world, turning them into magical beings known as Espers. They deeply regretted their actions after the war and the Espers agreed to seal them up and protect them so they would not go haywire again.
However, with the rise of the Gestahlian Empire 1000 years later, which discovered this power and harnessed it for itself, the Statues began to react. Kefka Palazzo used this power to create the Floating Continent, on which he moved the Statues out of their delicate balance and destroyed the world, transforming it into the World of Ruin.
The World of Balance consists of two main continents: a Northern Continent and a Southern Continent. There are also two remote islands: Crescent Island and Triangle Island.
List of Locations in the World of BalanceEdit
- Narshe - A mine city holding its neutrality, especially when a frozen Esper is discovered within its mines.
- Figaro Castle - A technologically advanced castle built in the middle of a desert. It has an established alliance with the Empire.
- South Figaro Cave - The path connecting Figaro Castle and South Figaro.
- South Figaro - A bustling town thriving on the sale of goods developed at Figaro Castle. Officially allied with the Empire.
- Mt. Kolts - A mountain with a path leading from South Figaro to the Sabil Mountain Range.
- Sabre Mountains - Mountain range hiding the headquarters of the Returners.
- Returner Hideout - Home base of the rebel Returners, and a launching point for the Lete River.
- Lethe River - A river flowing through the Sabil Mountain Range, ultimately leading to the base of Narshe.
- Gau's Father's House - A lone house occupied by an eccentric old man. A travelling salesman often stops for business.
- Imperial Camp - Temporary base set up by General Leo during the siege of Doma Castle.
- Doma Castle - Castle opposing the Empire and openly aiding the Returners.
- Phantom Forest - Forest dividing Doma from Barren Falls. The train that takes the dead to the beyond is hidden within.
- Baren Falls - Waterfall that empties into the Veldt.
- Veldt - Breeding grounds of creatures from all over the world.
- Mobliz - Remote village built on the edge of the Veldt. It is free from influence from either side of the war.
- Crescent Mountain Cave - Cave within a mountain in the southern section of the Veldt.
- Serpent Trench - Underwater passage with strong currents flowing from the Veldt to Nikeah.
- Nikeah - Bustling port town managing to remain out of imperial influence. A thin passage connects it to the rest of the continent.
- Bomb Forest - A huge forest populated by Bombs.
- Kohlingen - Town opposing the Empire that has managed to prevent occupation.
- Dragon's Neck Cabin - A lone cabin.
- Jidoor - City of aristocrats featuring the world's only Auction House.
- Zozo - City built and populated by thieves and scoundrels. One of the few locations to remain unchanged in the World of Ruin.
- Opera House - Form of entertainment for the aristocrats of Jidoor. Features star singer Maria.
- Albrook - The first city to fall to the Empire. Contains the continent's only port.
- Maranda - Formerly renowned as the nicest city on the continent, it was attacked and burned by General Celes.
- Tzen - An occupied town on the north side of the Continent.
- Vector - Capital of the Empire and home of Emperor Gestahl.
- Magitek Research Facility - Facility dedicated to drawing the magical abilities from Espers and creating the Empire's Magitek weaponry.
- Imperial Palace - Headquarters of the Empire.
- Imperial Observation Post - Built outside of the cave leading to the Esper world.
- Cave to the Sealed Gate - The passage to the Sealed Gate and the Esper home world behind it.
- Thamasa - Remote town secretly inhabited by the descendants of the Magi.
- Esper Caves - Cave west of Thamasa.
- Chocobo Stable - Four chocobo stables are hidden in forests across the World of Balance.
- Triangle Island - Island located in the northeast corner of the world, it is present in both worlds.