White Magic (白魔法, Shiro Mahō?), sometimes shortened to White, Wht Mag or Wht Magic, and referred to as White Magick in the games set in Ivalice, is a recurring skill set and one of the main types of magic in the Final Fantasy series. It focuses mainly on recovery and support magic, although there can be offensive magic in the skill set. In titles that feature the job system, White Magic is associated with the White Mage Job class, but is also usually available to Paladins, Red Mages, Seers and Sages.
White Magic support spells can usually be used against undead enemies to deal damage and other adverse effects.
- Main article: Magic (Final Fantasy)
White Magic is not a skill set but a subcategory of spells, and can be taught to Knights, Red Mages, Red Wizards, White Mages, and White Wizards, but only the last can learn every White Magic spell in the game.
- Main article: Magic (Final Fantasy II)
White Magic spells can be learned by any character, and their potency is tied to the Spirit stat.
- Main article: White Magic (Final Fantasy III)
The magic system is similar to the one from the first installment of the series. White Magic spells can be taught to any character, but can only be used by Knights, White Mages, Red Mages, Scholars, Devouts, Sages, Rangers, Dark Knights in the original release, and Onion Knights and Freelancers in the remake.
- Main article: White Magic (Final Fantasy IV)
In Final Fantasy IV the Magic skillset was split into several specialized skillsets. Cecil, Child Rydia, Tellah, Rosa, Porom and Fusoya can learn and use White Magic. Magic is learned by leveling up. The White Magic command's charge time varies, taken from the spell the player selects to cast.
- Main article: White Magic (Final Fantasy IV -Interlude-)
In the sequel to Final Fantasy IV, the White Magic command returns and it is usable by Cecil, Rosa, and Porom.
- Main article: White Magic (The After Years)
- Main article: White Magic (Final Fantasy V)
White Magic is accessible through the eponymous the skillset of the White Mage, while a selection of spells is available through the Red Mage's Red Magic. Magic is bought from shops. The White Magic command can also be assigned to other jobs as a secondary command.
- Main article: Wht Mag (Final Fantasy IX)
White Magic is available to Dagger and Eiko, as well as Beatrix. Eiko has a greater array of spells available, whereas Dagger has access to more eidolons. White Magic concentrates on healing and buffing, and also contains some offensive spells, mainly status ailments. Magic is learned from equipment.
- Main article: Wht Magic (Final Fantasy X)
White Magic can be learned by every character, but Yuna and Tidus learn several spells through normal progression. Yuna learns curative and protective spells in her Sphere Grid path, whereas Tidus learns time-related magic to speed allies and hinder opponents. White Magic cannot be doublecast, unlike its Black Magic counterpart.
- Main article: White Magic (Final Fantasy X-2)
- Main article: White Magic (Final Fantasy XI)
- Main article: White Magicks (Final Fantasy XII)
All party members can purchase White Magick licenses to cast bought spells in the original version. In the International version the skillset is associated with the White Mage job. The classification of spells differs slightly between the original and International versions.
- Main article: White Magicks (Revenant Wings)
- Main article: White Magick (Tactics)
White Magick is the skill set of the White Mage job.
- Main article: White Magic (Tactics Advance)
- Main article: White Magick (Tactics A2)
- Main article: Spell (Mystic Quest)#White Magic
White Magic is one of three types of magic spells, it can be use defensively (for ally) or offensively (for enemy).
- Main article: Magic (Legend III)#White Magic
White Magic is one of the categories of magic spells in the game, mainly consists of non-damaging spells, which can either cause status abnormalities to the enemy, or will heal and cure status abnormalities.
- Main article: White Magic (The 4 Heroes of Light)
White Magic is one of the categories of magic spells in the game, and can be equipped and used by any job.
- Main article: White Magic (Bravely Default)
- Main article: White Magic (Dimensions)
White magic has traditionally referred to the use of supernatural powers or magic for good and selfless purposes. With respect to the philosophy of left-hand path and right-hand path, white magic is the benevolent counterpart of malicious black magic. Because of its ties to traditional pagan nature worship, white magic is often also referred to as "natural magic".