Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
A weapon (武器, Buki?) is the piece of equipment a unit will use in battle, either primarily or secondarily. Whenever the standard Attack command is used, the unit will attack the target with their equipped weapon. Sometimes a weapon can be used in the attack, though not actually used to attack. An example would be mages using their equipped rods and staves to cast magic. Another example could be whenever a character uses the weapon to initiate a powerful attack.
Forced equipped weaponsEdit
Although in most games weapons are optional to be equipped, some force characters to have equipped weapons:
- Final Fantasy VII
- Final Fantasy VIII
- Final Fantasy IX
- Final Fantasy X
- Final Fantasy X-2 to some extent; all dresspheres have assigned weapons that cannot be changed and do not affect a character's performance in battle.
- Final Fantasy XIII
- Final Fantasy XIII-2
- Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
- Final Fantasy XIV, due to the nature of the Armory System, characters must have a weapon or tool equipped at all times.
- Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
- Final Fantasy Adventure
- Final Fantasy Type-0
Common weapon typesEdit
- Arrows - counterpart to bows and crossbows.
- Axes and Hammers - used by the Berserker, Viking and Warrior classes.
- Bells - commonly used by Geomancers as weapons.
- Bombs - explosives used by various characters in several games.
- Books - weapon of choice of Scholars and the like.
- Bows and Crossbows - ranged weapons equipped by Rangers, Hunters, and Archers.
- Cannons - ranged weapons used by Cannoneers.
- Cards and Dice - the weapons favored by Gamblers.
- Daggers - common weapons for Thieves.
- Dark Swords/Fell Swords - a type of sword unique to the Dark Knights.
- Double-bladed weapons - Double ended blades used by various classes.
- Guns - ranged firearms used by Corsairs and Gunners.
- Gunblades - swords with elements of guns, which were prominently used by Squall Leonhart and Seifer Almasy in Final Fantasy VIII, and Lightning in Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XIII-2.
- Holy Swords - Holy blades commonly associated with the Paladin job class.
- Instruments - musical instruments such as Flutes and Harps commonly used by Bards.
- Katana - common weapons used by the Samurai and Ninja classes.
- Knight Swords - a type of heavy Swords used mostly by Knights.
- Knuckles - for hand-to-hand combat with the Monk class.
- Lances/Spears - used by the Dragoon class.
- Maces - variable bludgeons used by advanced mage classes such as Sages.
- Nunchaku - alternative weapon to fists for Monks.
- Poles - long sticks used by both melee and magic classes in various games.
- Rackets - used as optional weapons by Dagger and Eiko Carol in Final Fantasy IX, as well as the Selkie tribe in Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles.
- Rods - used mostly by Black Mages.
- Scythes - wielded by the Dark Knight class in Final Fantasy XI, as well as Sice from Final Fantasy Type-0.
- Staves - used mostly by White Mages.
- Sword - the most common weapon, and has as many branches as classes that can equip them. Greatswords, Sabers, and Rapiers are a few of those. They are mostly used by Warriors and Paladins.
- Throwing weapons - generally Thrown by the Ninja class. These include Boomerangs, Chakrams, Shuriken and in some games Scrolls.
- Unarmed - weapons that involve fighting without any traditional weapons such as swords or spears.
- Whips - weapon of choice of Beastmasters and Quistis Trepe from Final Fantasy VIII.
Unique weapon typesEdit
- Blaster Edges - projectile weapons used by Rinoa Heartilly in Final Fantasy VIII.
- Blitzballs - balls used in battle by Wakka and by Tidus to perform Blitz Ace in Final Fantasy X. Shuyin also uses a blitzball in Terror of Zanarkand.
- Bowswords - a reconfigurable weapons that can switch between bow and sword modes used by Serah Farron in Final Fantasy XIII-2. They are based on the concept of the gunblade.
- Brushes - artist's tools used by Relm Arrowny in Final Fantasy VI.
- Cloths - cloths wielded by the female-only Dancer class in Final Fantasy Tactics.
- Dolls - animated dolls used in battle by Lulu in Final Fantasy X.
- Emblems - emblems on coats used by Snow Villiers to power up his attacks in Final Fantasy XIII.
- Forks - eating utensils used by Quina Quen in Final Fantasy IX.
- Gun-Arms - the other hand of Barret Wallace in Final Fantasy VII is replaced by these changeable weapons.
- Headdresses - razors worn in the mane by Red XIII in Final Fantasy VII.
- Measures - calculating tools used solely in Final Fantasy XII.
- Megaphones - used by Cait Sith in Final Fantasy VII to bark orders to his stuffed moogle.
- Skybandits - hovering surfboards used by Filo in Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings.
- Souls - spirits of captured monsters used by the one-off Morpher class in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.
- Star Globes - globe astrometers used by the Astrologian job in Final Fantasy XIV.