Mark well our faces, Warrior of Light, for we are the Warriors of Darkness. Walkers of a different path. And we shall meet again.
The Warriors of Darkness are a group of five antagonists from Final Fantasy XIV. They are the dark-side counterparts of the Warrior of Light. All of them share the same physical appearances as the adventurers in the game's cinematic cutscenes.
The Hyur warrior acts as the leader and representative of the group as a whole, appearing alongside Elidibus in several scenes.
- Arbert: A male Hyuran Warrior who is the group's leader.
- Blanhaerz: Known as the Knight of Darkness, he is a male Roegadyn Paladin.
- J'rhoomale: Known as the Ranger of Darkness, she is a female Miqo'te Bard who poisoned Alisaie Leveilleur during their initial confrontation.
- Naillebert: Known as the Magus of Darkness, he is an male Elezen Black Mage.
- Lamimi: Known as the Devout of Darkness, she is a female Lalafellin White Mage.
Originally from the First World, they were originally Adventurers who became their realm's Warriors of Light as they fought the Ascians before their actions doomed their world to be consumed in a Flood of Light and become a void. Renouncing their physical forms, feeling that Hydaelyn forsook them, the Warriors of Darkness form an alliance with the Ascians in the hope that they can restore their world. In response to the Adventurer's actions resulting in the complete destruction of Nabriales, Igeyorhm, and Lahabrea, Elidibus decides to summon the Warriors of Darkness as a counterbalance by having them terrorize the Beastmen tribes so they can summon stronger Primals. The Warriors make themselves known in the Smoldering Wastes at Lost ast Gnath, defeating Ravana before attacking the Scions. The group's leader Arbert was about to attack the Adventurer when Thancred intervened, forcing the Warriors of Darkness to fall back.
When the Adventurer intervened in the summoning of Garuda at Xelphatol, his group accompanied by a disguised Urianger Augurelt, Arbert reveals his origins to the hero and Alphinaud Leveilleur before they take their leave. Arbert would later be told by Urianger that the "man in white" wishes him and his group to focus on killing the Warrior of Light. The Warriors of Darkness wait for the Adventurer's arrival while terrorizing the Amalj'aa, the group fighting the Scions before restraining them. Luckily, Urianger comes to the Scions' aid as the Adventurer and Alisaie Leveilleur uses an aetherial blade to defeat their enemies. When the Warriors of Darkness refuse to surrender and reveal their old Crystals of Light, the Adventurer acts on Urianger's behest to bring them all Hydaelyn's realm using the water crystal. Though he initially attempted to strike down Word of the Mother when the Mothercrystal offered to send her to restore the First World, Arbert ultimately accepts Hydaelyn's offer....asking her to bring them back to their world.
In the stinger for Soul Surrender, it's revealed they had retrieved the Eyes of Nidhogg from the ravine beneath the Steps of Faith for Elidibus. The Emissary then gifted the Eyes to The Griffon, a firebrand rallying the Ala Mhigan Resistance.
The Warriors of Darkness are fought during the quest "One Life for One World" in a solo instance duty. During the fight the Warriors of Darkness revive themselves using the Echo, as such they can only be defeated by charging up Alisaie's aetheric blade enough to strike them down before the Magus of Darkness can finish them off with a powerful magic.
- The job titles for Arbert's companions are from the jobs in Final Fantasy III. The Devout of Darkness is named after the Devout, the Magus of Darkness is named after the Magus, the Ranger of Darkness is named after the Ranger, and the Knight of Darkness is named after the Knight. However, due to Knight being used as the Japanese name for Paladin job in Final Fantasy XIV, Blanhaerz's job title in Japanese is instead Magic Swordsman (魔法剣士, Mahōkenshi?), being named after the Dark Knight job in Final Fantasy III and the recurring Mystic Knight job.