Whenever the player wins a battle, the party members will strike a victory pose (also known as victory dance). In the earlier games these were generic and universal across all characters, but as the series progressed the characters began to have unique victory poses, with some even changing as the story progresses.
In the NES version, characters simply use their spell-casting poses alternating with their standing poses. In the cases of non-casters, unique poses were created to fill the blank. In later releases, the victory poses are universal across the jobs. The characters simply raise their arms a few times in time with the "Victory Fanfare".
Most characters raise their arms a few times, as casting poses were not diversified. Guy, Ricard, and Josef only raise one arm. The party now runs across the battlefield to exit, indicating the enemies were blocking the way. Somewhat humorously, unconscious or petrified party members will be left behind as the rest of the party leaves the screen, and party members afflicted with Toad or Mini will move more slowly than the rest of the party.
In the original NES version, casting poses were doubled up with victory poses and made unique for most classes.
In the 3D remakes, the characters stand in a loosely formed line, and each has a unique action when a level or job level is gained.
- Luneth stands with one hand on his hip. When he gains a level or job level he will jump and punch the air.
- Arc stands with his right hand over his heart. When he gains a level or job level he will jump into the air and raises both arms.
- Refia holds her hands in front of her. When she gains a level or job level she will spin.
- Ingus leans backwards with his arms crossed. When he gains a level or job level he stands up straight and pumps his fist.
Most characters repeatedly raise either one or both hands into the air.
- Yang puts one leg forward and one palm toward the enemy repeatedly.
- Cid squats and smiles repeatedly.
- Fusoya puts his arms in a crescent shape repeatedly.
In the 3D remakes, each character has a unique victory pose.
- Cecil's pose depends on whether he is a Paladin or a Dark Knight:
- Kain spins his weapon around and stands in his iconic pose. When he levels up, he will shift the equipped weapon to his left hand and will raise it, similar to Paladin Cecil's level-up pose.
- Rydia has two victory poses depending on whether she is a child or an adult:
- Child - Jumps twice and takes a spin, cocking her head to the side. When she levels up, she will put her hands over her heart (similar to Rosa's normal victory pose) after she takes a spin.
- Adult - The normal victory pose is similar (excluding the head cock), but the level-up is different: she will take a spin and hold her whip to the side instead of to the front.
- Tellah beats his chest twice. When he levels up, he will scratch his head after.
- Edward wipes his forehead and dusts off his clothes. When he levels up, he will nod.
- Rosa dusts off her cape, and puts her right hand over her heart. When she levels up, after dusting off her cape she will hold her bow down to the side instead of over her heart.
- Yang stretches and takes a bow. When he levels up, he will punch the air once.
- Porom spins once and jumps twice. When she levels up, she will put her hands over her heart, similar to child Rydia and Rosa's level-up poses.
- Palom spins once. When he levels up, he will cross his arms after spinning once.
- Cid shakes his stomach six times. When he levels up, he will crouch for a second and shake his head after he rises.
- Edge does a backflip, jumps with one sword in the air and places said sword on his shoulder. It is similar to Zidane's victory pose in Final Fantasy IX. When he levels up, he will show off his equipped katanas, slashing one to the left and another to the right.
- Fusoya places his weapon in front of him, puts it aside and crosses his arms.
- Golbez laughs six times.
In the 3D remake, the characters' poses are the same from the 3D remake of Final Fantasy IV with their facial expressions, but new playable characters have their own victory poses:
- Ceodore - Slashes his sword twice then and fist pumps with his left hand.
- Biggs and Wedge -
- Black Mage -
- White Mage -
- Luca - Places her weapon behind her head and rests her right arm on her waist.
- Calca and Brina - Both spin around once before Calca bows and Brina curtsies. When Calca levels up, he spins in a jump and places both hands on his waist. When Brina levels up, she holds her dress and holds both hands together.
- Ursula - Spins once, jumps and lands in a fighting pose.
- Monks - Punches twice, then crosses arms in an 'x' and ends with both arms on their side.
- Palom (adult) -
- Leonora - Puts her hands together then bows.
- Porom (adult) -
- Gekkou -
- Zangetsu -
- Izayoi - Swipes her left hand in front of her face and places it on her hip.
- Tsukinowa -
- Guards -
- Harley - Adjusts her glasses with her right hand.
- Golbez - Spreads both arms out, then brings right hand to his face.