Whenever the player wins a battle, the party members will strike a victory pose (also known as victory dance). In the earlier games these were generic and universal across all characters, but as the series progressed the characters began to have unique victory poses, with some even changing as the story progresses.
In the NES version, characters simply use their spell-casting poses alternating with their standing poses. In the cases of non-casters, unique poses were created to fill the blank. In later releases, the victory poses are universal across the jobs. The characters simply raise their arms a few times in time with the "Victory Fanfare".
Following the original's format, most characters raise their arms a few times, as casting poses were not diversified. Guy, Ricard, and Josef only raise one arm. The party now runs across the battlefield to exit, indicating the enemies were blocking the way. Somewhat humorously, unconscious or petrified party members will be left behind as the rest of the party leaves the screen, and party members afflicted with Toad or Mini will move more slowly than the rest of the party.
In the original NES version, casting poses were doubled up with victory poses and made unique for most classes.
In the 3D remakes, the characters stand in a loosely formed line, and each has a unique action when a level or job level is gained.
- Luneth stands with one hand on his hip. When he gains a level or job level he will jump and punch the air.
- Arc stands with his right hand over his heart. When he gains a level or job level he will jump into the air and raises both arms.
- Refia holds her hands in front of her. When she gains a level or job level she will spin.
- Ingus leans backwards with his arms crossed. When he gains a level or job level he stands up straight and pumps his fist.
Most characters repeatedly raise either one or both hands into the air.
- Yang puts one leg forward and one palm toward the enemy repeatedly.
- Cid squats and smiles repeatedly.
- Fusoya puts his arms in a crescent shape repeatedly.
In the 3D remakes, each character has a unique victory pose.
- Cecil's pose depends on whether he is a Paladin or a Dark Knight:
- Kain spins his weapon around and stands in his iconic pose. When he levels up, he will shift the equipped weapon to his left hand and will raise it, similar to Paladin Cecil's level-up pose.
- Rydia has two victory poses depending on whether she is a child or an adult:
- Child - Jumps twice and takes a spin, cocking her head to the side. When she levels up, she will put her hands over her heart (similar to Rosa's normal victory pose) after she takes a spin.
- Adult - The normal victory pose is similar (excluding the head cock), but the level-up is different: she will take a spin and hold her whip to the side instead of to the front.
- Tellah beats his chest twice. When he levels up, he will scratch his head after.
- Edward wipes his forehead and dusts off his clothes. When he levels up, he will nod.
- Rosa dusts off her cape, and puts her right hand over her heart. When she levels up, after dusting off her cape she will hold her bow down to the side instead of over her heart.
- Yang stretches and takes a bow. When he levels up, he will punch the air once.
- Porom spins once and jumps twice. When she levels up, she will put her hands over her heart, similar to child Rydia and Rosa's level-up poses.
- Palom spins once. When he levels up, he will cross his arms after spinning once.
- Cid shakes his stomach six times. When he levels up, he will crouch for a second and shake his head after he rises.
- Edge does a backflip, jumps with one sword in the air and places said sword on his shoulder. It is similar to Zidane's victory pose in Final Fantasy IX. When he levels up, he will show off his equipped katanas, slashing one to the left and another to the right.
- Fusoya places his weapon in front of him, puts it aside and crosses his arms.
- Golbez laughs six times.
In the 3D remake, the characters' poses are the same from the 3D remake of Final Fantasy IV with their facial expressions, but new playable characters have their own victory poses:
- Ceodore -
- Biggs and Wedge -
- Black Mage -
- White Mage
- Luca -
- Calca and Brina -
- Ursula -
- Monks -
- Palom (adult) -
- Leonora -
- Porom (adult) -
- Gekkou -
- Zangetsu -
- Izayoi -
- Tsukinowa -
- Guards -
- Harley -
- Golbez -
Characters will not perform a victory dance in the following battles: against Vargas, first battle with Ultros, Cyan during the Siege of Doma, any battles within the Serpent Trench, on the rafters above the stage in the Opera House, the battles during the mine cart sequence, the Battle over the Floating Continent, while escaping from the Floating Continent, the first three Humbaba battles, during the sequences of the Statue of the Gods, and finally the final boss.
Each character has a unique victory pose which plays when s/he is alive at the end of a battle. None of Vincent's Limit Break transformations have victory poses, and will continue to use their battle animation after a victory.
There are a number of circumstances in which the party will not perform their victory pose and in these scenarios the "Victory Fanfare" will not play. The party will not pose after defeating Reno at the Sector 7 Plate Support tower. Cloud will not pose after defeating Rufus. Barret will not pose after defeating Dyne. The party will not pose after defeating Jenova∙LIFE. Yuffie will not pose after defeating Godo. The party will not pose after defeating the two Submarine Crew enemies before boarding the submarine. The party will not pose after defeating enemies on the Coal Train across Mt. Corel. The party will not pose after defeating the Turks in the Sector 8 tunnels beneath Midgar. The party will not pose after defeating the Proud Clod in Midgar.
- Cloud pumps his fist twice, spins his sword in one hand, and then places it on his back.
- Barret squats, stands and punches the air with his normal hand. His victory pose loops.
- Tifa stretches her arms and back.
- Aeris brushes down her clothes, smooths back her hair, and bows with her hand over her heart.
- Red XIII scratches himself behind an ear, then stands up on his hind legs. His victory pose loops.
- Yuffie jumps twice while holding her weapon above her head, then quickly spins around on one leg. Her victory pose loops.
- Cait Sith's oversized moogle doll claps its arms above its head; Cait Sith hops back and forth between claps. His victory pose loops.
- Vincent spins his gun a few times before returning it to its holster.
- Cid bends down then takes a smoke.
- Sephiroth swings Masamune in front of him twice, flips it over in his hand, and slides it curve-up against his waist so the hilt rests at his side and the blade faces up at an angle behind him.
If a character is in Frog status at the end of the battle, they hop once, then backflip in a looping victory pose.
In the 1996 demo version the characters perform the victory pose toward whatever direction they were facing when the battle ended.
During the minigame in which Cloud poses as a Shinra soldier, he teaches two other Shinra soldiers his victory pose. It is then designated as the "special" for the sendoff of Rufus Shinra and earns the player a large point bonus if executed correctly with Cloud facing the correct direction.
- If he has 100% HP, he swings his sword above his head several times before attaching it onto his back.
- If he has less than 100% HP, but higher than 25% HP he simply attaches his sword to his back.
- If he has lower than 25% HP remaining, he'll wipe his brow while attaching his sword to his back while leaning down in a tired fashion.
- If he has won the battle under the Stop or Stun status, he will break free and stretch aloft midair before sheathing his sword.
Cloud performed his trademark victory pose of twirling the Buster Sword before placing it behind his back. This was seen in the announcement trailer.
Pre-battle poses begin before an enemy is engaged during an encounter, and the animation features the character(s) readying his or her weapon(s) leading into their main battle stance. It's the only game in the main series with this distinction.
- Squall stands with his gunblade resting on his shoulder before slashing the air.
- Zell stretches his legs while standing before pumping his fists followed by two quick punches.
- Quistis swings her whip before whipping the ground.
- Rinoa stares at the enemy with her arm on her hip before stroking her hair to the side.
- Selphie hops with her nunchaku behind her, before swinging it in front of her.
- Irvine slowly points his gun towards his enemy before bringing it back in his hands.
- Seifer holds his Hyperion upwards in front of his face before slowly lowering it into his battle stance.
- Edea arms are crossed onto her chest before opening them up. A distinct sound can be heard before she opens her arms out.
- Laguna quickly aims his machine gun at his enemy before holding it upwards.
- Kiros is crouched on his knee before looking at his enemy and jumping up, ready for battle.
- Ward rests his harpoon on his shoulder, twists his neck, then thrusts it into the ground.
- Squall will slash the air twice, then turn his back on the camera with his Gunblade resting on his shoulder.
- Zell pumps his fists in the air a few times.
- Quistis stretches out her arms with her whip.
- Rinoa jumps up with her hands in the air a few times, then twists backward while flipping her hair.
- Selphie jumps up in the air and proceeds to swing her weapon, striking a cutesy pose at the end, shaking a hip.
- Irvine twirls his gun and lays it on his shoulder, fixes his hat, and then points.
- Seifer swings his gunblade several times, then holds it with both hands and lowers it in front of his face, identical to how he often poses outside of battle.
- Edea raises out her arms, then closes her hands together and bows.
- Laguna clenches his fists, punches the air and raises his machine gun.
- Kiros crosses his arms, with his katar held in front of his shoulders and bows.
- Ward rotates his harpoon over his head and rests it across his back.
- Zidane has two victory poses, depending on if he is wielding a dagger or a thief sword:
- Dagger - he will perform two back flips, then hold his right hand in the air.
- Thief Sword - he will spin the weapon above his head three times, then stand it on the ground to his right.
- Dagger has two victory poses, depending on if she is wielding a rod or a racket:
- Rod - she will spin it around a few times before putting it behind her back and crossing her legs while standing.
- Racket - she will hold it on her right side and look off into the distance.
- Vivi will twirl his staff in his right hand, before coming to an attention pose.
- Steiner will place his right foot forward and making a scooping motion with his sword, holding it in front of himself.
- Freya stands straight and rests her spear on her shoulder.
- Quina dances around happily. The animation loops.
- Eiko also has two victory poses, depending on whether she is wielding a flute or a racket:
- Flute - she will dance happily while playing it. The animation loops.
- Racket - she will hug it close and jump into the air several times. Somewhat resembling a friendly Yan in battle. The animation loops.
- Amarant will sit cross-legged, arms folded, and head bowed.
- Beatrix puts her sword away in its scabbard and flips her hair.
- Blank slashes his sword once and holds it before him.
- Marcus slashes the air in front of him with his sword in an X-shaped pattern and holds it at his side.
- Cinna will jump once while stretching his right arm into the air, and will place both hands on his hips after landing.
In some cases, a character may not celebrate after battle, depending on a point in the storyline, meaning the character is facing a heavy emotional frustration or distress. Only Zidane, Freya, Quina, and Eiko will pose consistently.
- After Dagger loses her eidolons, she will not pose until after the party's first visit to Conde Petie. Later, when she loses her voice, she will not pose until after the battle with Meltigemini.
- When Vivi is growing more depressed at Queen Brahne's use of black mages during their escape from Alexandria, he will not pose until after the party's first visit to Conde Petie.
- When Steiner is in Alexandria Castle while Zorn and Thorn hold Garnet, he will not pose until he entrusts Zidane and Vivi with her as the three escape the castle.
- From the time he joins the party in disc 2, up until the events at Ipsen's Castle, Amarant will not pose. This is likely due to not considering himself a true member of the group.
If the character is afflicted by Haste at the end of battle the victory pose animation is sped up.
- Tidus has two victory poses, depending on whether he is on land or underwater:
- On land, Tidus throws his sword in the air, catches and swings it in front of him.
- Underwater, Tidus does a somersault and then crosses his arms.
- Auron rests his blade on the ground and adjusts his glasses.
- Rikku has two victory poses, depending on whether she is on land or underwater:
- On land, Rikku puts her right hand on her side and points at where the defeated enemies were with her left hand in a taunting manner then shrugs.
- Underwater, Rikku swings her left arm around thrice before thrusting herself up and ending with her hand at her side.
- Wakka has two victory poses, depending on whether he is on land or underwater:
- On land, Wakka thrusts his right hand in the air, pulls it towards his body with his thumb extended towards himself, before throwing his head back and laughing arrogantly.
- Underwater, Wakka beats his chest twice and raises his arm outwards.
- Lulu bends down and dusts her dress with her hand.
- Yuna gasps as if surprised to win then holds her staff in a horizontal position and takes a bow.
- Kimahri sticks his spear into the ground.
- Seymour holds his staff in his right hand places it in his left hand. Seymour doesn't perform his victory pose when he joins the party as a temporary playable character. His victory pose can only be seen via hacking.
For the first time, aeons also have victory poses:
- Valefor spreads her wings.
- Ifrit hits the ground, then silently roars.
- Ixion rears on his hind legs.
- Shiva sweeps back her hair.
- Bahamut crosses his arms.
- Yojimbo makes a hand gesture and bows his head.
- Anima silently roars while looking up.
- Magus Sisters
- Cindy dusts off her hands, jumps once and puts her hands on her hips.
- Mindy spins in the air once, then lands.
- Sandy raises her right hand in a shrugging motion then looks away.
When the party arrives at Zanarkand, no one will pose, but keep their battle stance. This is likely due to the solemnity of Yuna's impending fate drawing near during the party's first visit, and a reminder of her avoidance of that fate in later visits. The aeons also do not pose while in Zanarkand or after they defeat Belgemine's aeons in Remiem Temple.
- Characters' victory poses
- Aeons' victory poses
The victory poses depend on which dressphere is being used by which girl:
- Gun Mage:
- Yuna holds her fists to her stomach, then holds out her gun.
- Rikku spins around, pumps her arm, and then crosses her arms.
- Paine flicks her hair and puts her hand on her hip.
- Yuna uses both hands to rest her gun on her shoulders, then pumps her arm.
- Rikku spins around, pumps her arm, and then crosses her arms while resting her gun on her shoulder.
- Paine rests her gun across her shoulders.
- Yuna throws her sword in the air, catches it, and swings it in front of her (identical to Tidus in Final Fantasy X).
- Rikku lifts her sword and rests it on her shoulder.
- Paine flicks her hair.
- Yuna spins and holds her sword in front of her face.
- Rikku uses both hands to push her sword into the ground.
- Paine cuts an X-shape in the air in front of her, then pushes her sword into the ground.
- Dark Knight:
- Yuna puts her sword into the ground, then rests her arms and head on the hilt.
- Rikku holds her sword behind her.
- Paine spins her sword above her head, then puts her sword into the ground.
- Yuna does a somersault and then stands upright, displaying her claws.
- Rikku performs a vertical spin, followed by a spinning handstand, before getting back on her feet and pumping both arms.
- Paine performs a series of kicks and swipes.
- Yuna dances, ending with a jump and her hand on her hip.
- Rikku performs a dance, ending with her fist lowered to her chest.
- Paine turns around and lifts her arm above her head.
- Black Mage:
- Yuna jumps up in the air.
- Rikku spins around and bends over to taunt the enemy.
- Paine holds her rod above her, places it on the ground, and fixes her hat.
- White Mage:
- Yuna hops twice, then jumps while holding her hands above her.
- Rikku dances while holding her staff against her head.
- Paine turns around and holds her arm off to the side.
- Yuna jumps, slashing the air in mid-air, places her daggers on her belt when she lands, then puts her hands behind her.
- Rikku punches the air as she staggers forward, before pumping both arms and holding a dagger in front of her.
- Paine places her daggers on her belt, wipes her hands clean, then puts a hand on her hip.
- Yuna sighs in relief and looks down at Kogoro.
- Ghiki climbs down onto Rikku's arm, and she pets him.
- Paine strokes Flurry's neck.
- Lady Luck:
- Yuna holds her cards at each side, before taking a bow.
- Rikku spins, leans back, and slowly raises one arm above her.
- Paine's cards orbit her body, and then her arm, where she catches them.
- Yuna jumps twice then fans herself.
- Rikku balances her cotton candy on her forehead.
- Paine jumps then poses with her fan held out behind her.
- Yuna backflips, then poses in mid-air, removes her visor and winks.
- Rikku lazily turns onto her side in mid-air.
- Paine crosses her legs in a sitting position and takes off her visor in mid-air.
- Special dresspheres:
In some cases, the girls may not celebrate their victory, depending on the situation:
- The girls do not perform a victory pose after fighting Bahamut or Shuyin.
- A girl will not perform their victory pose if she is saying a victory quote.
- A girl will not perform a victory pose if she is already dancing.
- A girl will not perform a victory pose if she is sleeping.
- The girls do not perform their victory poses in the Fiend Arena.
- Yuna's victory poses
- Rikku's victory poses
- Paine's victory poses
After defeating a mini-boss or a non-storyline boss, the party members still alive, including guests, perform their victory poses. The party stands in a formation—depending on how many have survived the battle—and the camera pans across each of them on the Congratulations screen.
The pose they perform is either a weaponless pose or specific to the weapon type they are holding, including if they fight barehanded. Each character has two weaponless poses, each performed with a probability of 1/6. There are also special cases where a character will only do their weaponless poses after defeating certain bosses.
- Vaan drinks from a water pouch, or bites a starfruit.
- Balthier adjusts his shirt and cuffs, or adjusts his hair and places his hands on his belt.
- Fran looks about and clasps her elbows, or adjusts her hair.
- Basch crosses his arms, or adjusts his gloves.
- Ashe fixes her skirt and sweeps her hair, or stretches out her arms to the front and side.
- Penelo dances about similar to one of her Quickenings, or does a cartwheel, or punches the air few times.
- Swords: stabs sword into the ground and places his right foot on the pommel.
- Greatswords: stabs it into the ground and climbs up to squat on its crossguard.
- Katanas: swipes it in the air a few times and stabs in into the ground.
- Ninja swords: twirls sword before placing it back on his belt.
- Spears, rods, staves and poles: throws weapon to his feet and kicks it up the air before catching it on his back.
- Bows: swings to his side then places it on his back.
- Guns and crossbows: aims weapon up, imitates shooting then places it on his back.
- Axes and hammers: twirls and throws weapon in the air, catches it and places on his right shoulder.
- Daggers, maces and measures: brandishes weapon and swings it about.
- Hand-bombs: draws it out and throws it to the air.
- Swords: puts his foot on sword, takes out his handkerchief and brushes off his shoe with it.
- Greatswords and Katanas: draws weapon out and twirls it before placing it beside him.
- Ninja swords: does an uppercut before placing it on his belt.
- Spears, rods, staves and poles: swings to the front before placing it on his back.
- Bows: shoots out an arrow and twirls it before placing it on his back.
- Guns and crossbows: gives a few looks on the equipment.
- Axes, hammers, maces and measures: brandishes weapon and swings it about before putting on his shoulder.
- Daggers and hand-bombs: throws weapon into the air, switching arms before placing it on his belt.
- Swords: stabs the sword into the ground and places her hand on her hip.
- Greatswords and katanas: draws them out and twirls it before placing it on her back.
- Ninja swords: does a few moves before placing it on her side.
- Spears, rods, staves and poles: twirls them a number of ways, then holds them to her side.
- Bows: holds an arrow in her mouth, the bow in her left hand, before swiping her hair to the back.
- Guns and crossbows: brings up to her face, kisses it, then turns facing away from camera, weapons held to her side.
- Axes, hammers, maces, measures and hand-bombs: bounces weapon in her right hand, then throws them in the air and catches in left hand, then holds to her side.
- Daggers: twirls the dagger, then throws it in front of her.
- Swords, axes, hammers, maces and measures: swings weapon on his left before standing with the weapon on right side.
- Greatswords and katanas: makes a great swing on his right, then gently lowers in front of him.
- Ninja swords: swings the sword from left side to right side, before holding it still in his right hand.
- Spears, rods, staves and poles: spins weapon around before placing it on his right.
- Bows: lifts the bow up over head and stands with it in his right hand.
- Guns and crossbows: makes a shooting gesture to the sky, then holds in both hands.
- Daggers: brandishes the dagger before attaching it to his belt.
- Hand-bombs: shakes the bomb twice before attaching it to his belt on left side.