Vegnagun (ヴェグナガン, Vegunagan?) is known as the most powerful and fearsome machina ever built, created by the machina centric city of Bevelle during the Great Machina War, 1000 years before Final Fantasy X. Vegnagun is the primary goal of the antagonist of Final Fantasy X-2, Shuyin.
The weapon is massive and powerful enough to potentially destroy all of Spira. It is able to sense emotion, and thus knows whether a certain person means to do it harm. To the disappointment of its creators, however, Vegnagun was not put in use due to its inability to tell friend from foe. Vegnagun was also considered to be used against Sin, but due to its flaws, it was never used for this purpose.
During the Machina War between Zanarkand and Bevelle, Shuyin, a draftee in the Zanarkand army, in an attempt to save his beloved, Lenne, a summoner sent to the front lines, attempted to infiltrate Bevelle's headquarters and steal Vegnagun in order to decimate Bevelle's troops. Lenne discovered Shuyin's scheme, and rushed to stop him from activating the weapon. Both were caught before Shuyin's plan could be put into action and the lovers were shot dead by Bevelle's guards. While Lenne's memories were preserved and later transferred to the Songstress dressphere, Shuyin's anger and grief along with his despair lived on past his death, causing him to become an unsent.
A thousand years passed and Vegnagun still resided as a forgotten secret amongst the lower caverns of Bevelle. Shuyin, having resided in the Den of Woe, was awakened from his slumber when the Crimson Squad entered the den. Killing all but four of its members, one of which he secretly possessed, Shuyin again attempts to activate Vegnagun. Upon making his way to its resting place Shuyin moves the weapon to the Farplane in order to activate it without interference.
With Vegnagun situated in the heart of the Farplane, the machina is capable of absorbing ungodly amounts of energy, the same energy that Shinra describes that if tapped into, would power countless cities of lights. Vegnagun would be able to absorb so much power its cannon would be capable of omnicide.
It takes the combined teamwork of the Gullwings, Leblanc Syndicate, Nooj, and Gippal to dismantle Vegnagun piece by piece before they confront Shuyin himself who eventually falls to Yuna, Rikku and Paine, before being reunited with his lover, Lenne.
- Main article: Vegnagun (Tail)
- Main article: Vegnagun (Leg)
- Main article: Vegnagun (Body)
- Main article: Vegnagun (Head)
- Main article: Node
- Main article: Bulwark (Final Fantasy X-2)
- Main article: Redoubt
Vegnagun's multiple parts must be dismantled in order for Shuyin to confront the party himself.
|"The Colossus" from Final Fantasy X-2|
|Trouble with the audio sample?|
The theme of Vegnagun is "Great Existence" (大いなる存在, Oori Naru Sonzai?) called "The Colossus" in Luca sphere theater and iTunes. It plays when viewing the spheres of Vegnagun.
- Vegnagun is controlled by playing an organ-like instrument placed atop its head, each key emitting a colored glow when pressed. Its main weapon, a gargantuan cannon, is capable of firing concentrated energy to cause untold amounts of destruction.
- The names of many of Vegnagun's attacks are in Latin.
- Vegnagun debatably ties for biggest machina in the Final Fantasy X universe as it is roughly the size, if not bigger, than the two airships featured in the series.
- Vegnagun is implied to have been at Lake Macalania in the mission "Secure the Agency!", as one of the near-dead Al Bhed inside the travel agency says Fryd fyc ed? Dryd rika cryba, taab fedreh dra myga. E fiend... machina? which translates to What was it? That huge shape, deep within the lake. A fiend... machina?
- Battles against Vegnagun's pieces have a different battle opening than the rest of the game. Other battles open with the screen shattering and the view switching to battle mode. Vegnagun's battles open with a black hole sucking in the screen.