Keeping here as a stub until I've got enough allusions to make an article
The following is a list of allusions present in Final Fantasy XIV.
- The company responsible for the airship docks is named Highwind
- The upcoming Crystal Tower dungeon is directly inspired by the Final Fantasy III Crystal Tower.
- Marlboros are called "Morbols", a reference to the original translation of Final Fantasy IV.
- The scenario of Dalamud's fall is similar to that of The After Years, in which a red moon, not the planet's main moon, threatens to crash to the planet.
- During Caravan Security, both "Boco" and "Koko" may appear as the chocobo names.
- During the Halloween event, the trickster imps may randomly say "Life... Dreams... Imps... Where do they come from? And where do they go?", quoting Kefka's speech during the final battle.
- One of the isles used for Skirmish battles is named Locke's lie
- When the player undergoes his first Horn & Hand faction leve, a NPC will say the following: "Why, if it isn't Sephiroth! Or was it Sephiross? Setirophx? xXxSephirothxXx?" referencing Sephiroth and common variations used to name characters on MMOs (and by proxy, Final Fantasy XIV itself).
- One of the Cactuar enemies is called Sabotender Del Sol.
- The Materia crafting system is named after and inspired by Final Fantasy VII Materia.
- One of the Garlean Empire's main infantry weapons is a variant of Gunblade.
- All of the playable races and most of the beast tribes are based on Final Fantasy XI's races.
- Several key npcs and weapons from the Grand Companies of Eorzea lore are direct references to important characters and weapons from Final Fantasy XI.
- The Imperial Legatus armor designs are based on the Archadian Judge's armor.
- A scene with Nael van Darnus followed by a few Garlean soldiers resembles the Archadian judges marching towards the screen during Final Fantasy XII's opening;
- One of the titles that can be earned is "Crystal Bearer".
- Before most storyline battles, the common "whoosh" effect of previous games' random encounters can be seen.
Other Square Enix GamesEdit
- Gaius's helmet is extremely similar to Grahf's mask, down to the earrings used.
Call of DutyEdit
- One of the sidequests is called "Call of Booty"
The Elder Scrolls V:SkyrimEdit
- During the Bard questline, Jehantel mentions that many people believe his reason for leaving the Gods Quiver and becoming a bard was due to him having taken an arrow to the knee.
- During a quest in Gridania, a NPC will say that he "feels a great disturbance in the forest".
- One Garlean soldier directly quotes Agent Smith
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the GalaxyEdit
- One of the mammets in Ul'dah says "The answer is...................42".
My Little Pony: Friendship is MagicEdit
- Several instances refering to the chocobo mount system, such as newspaper articles posted on the lodestone, use the phrase "My little Chocobo".
Dragon Ball ZEdit
- During one of the Twin Adder quests, a NPC will mention that a large number of fiends are gathering. Then, she mentions that "some scouts say their number was over nine thousand".
- There's a NPC called "Immodest Mouse", who may say "The ocean breathes saulty, and it be her briny whispers what give our salt ale its temper", referencing the Song "Ocean Breathes Salty".
Law & OrderEdit
- The third Thaumaturge Class Quest is called "Law and the Order"
- The ranking within the Garlean army is modeled after that of the Roman Empire.
- The Goblin Fraternity who created materia is called the Illuminati