Wikia

Final Fantasy Wiki

Twincast

Talk1
15,599 pages on
this wiki
Twincast FMV DS
Porom and Palom performing Pyroblast in the opening FMV of Final Fantasy IV.
PaladinCecilAdded by PaladinCecil

Twincast (ふたりがけ, Futarigake?), also known as Twin, is an ability in Final Fantasy IV. The trademark skill of Palom and Porom, it allows two casters to execute powerful attacks by combining their powers. It has also been able to be used by other characters with a strong bond by combining powers.

The two main Twincast spells are Comet (プチメテオ, Puchimeteo?, lit. "Mini-meteor"), and Pyroblast (プチフレア, Puchifurea?, lit. "Mini-flare"), also known as Flare or Pyro. There is also the ultimate Twincast spell Twin Meteor (Wメテオ, W Meteor?), also was known as W.Meteo and Double Meteor.

AppearancesEdit

Final Fantasy IVEdit

Main article: List of Final Fantasy IV Spells#Twincast

Twincast is Palom and Porom's special ability. The Twincast command's Charge Time varies, and its charge time is taken from the spell the player selects to cast. When initiated, the twins start to concentrate, and aren't able to use any commands while preparing the spell. The spell is aborted if either of the twins is knocked out or petrified. Upon the spell executing, there is a 75% chance of using Pyroblast at a cost of 10 MP, or a 25% chance of using Comet for 20 MP. Comet has higher power and ignores Reflect, which Pyroblast does not.

At the end of the game, Golbez and Fusoya perform Twin Meteor to kill Zemus. Equipping the Twin Stars, two accessories that only appear in the Finest Fantasy for Advance and Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection versions of the game, enables Palom and Porom to cast Twin Meteor. It is much stronger than Comet and costs no MP, but takes a longer time to cast.

3D RemakeEdit

Twincast-DS
Porom and Palom casting Pyroblast.

In the remake of Final Fantasy IV available for Nintendo DS and smartphones, more spells are available by the Twincast ability by equipping it as an Augment.

Some Twincast spells can only be used by certain people. Also, because it is possible for more than two people to have the Twincast ability, both casters must use the command to execute the spell, whereas previously if Palom or Porom alone used Twincast, the other twin automatically executed the command as well. Tellah may also randomly cast a Twincast spell with his Recall ability.

The four new Twincast spells are:

Final Fantasy IV -Interlude-Edit

Twincast returns in the sequel of Final Fantasy IV, and it's Palom and Porom's exclusive ability. This command functions the same way as it did in the prequel. Equipping the Twin Stars, two accessories which can be missed, enables Palom and Porom to cast Twin Meteor spell. Just like in the original game, it's much stronger than both Pyroblast and Comet, costs 0 MP, but, however, it does take a long time to charge.

Final Fantasy IV: The After YearsEdit

FFIV TAY Twincast
Twincast in The After Years.

In Porom's Tale Twincast is usable in a flashback in a capacity similar to its Final Fantasy IV incarnation, costing 20 MP to cast with a 40% chance of using Comet and 60% of Pyroblast, though the spells are not named. In the present time, Palom and Porom are no longer capable of using this version of the band, though it appears in their menus.

In the final tale in the Depths of the True Moon, Palom and Porom learn an enhanced version of Twincast as a Band ability. It costs 40 MP to execute, and has a 25% chance of using either Twin Firaga, Twin Blizzaga or Twin Thundaga, a 20% chance of using Twin Flare, and a 5% chance of using Twin Meteor. Like the Twincast spells in Porom's Tale, the spells are not named.

Fusoya and Golbez learn the Band ability Double Black Magic when fighting Zeromus's Malice, which acts similarly to Twincast. When used, Double Black Magic has a chance of using Twin Firaga, Twin Blizzaga, Twin Thundaga, or Twin Meteor.

Final Fantasy IXEdit

Zorn and Thorn use Twincast attacks when fought as bosses, though it is used differently. Thorn will charge Zorn to allow Zorn to cast Meteorite, and cost 40 MP for Zorn to cast. Zorn charges Thorn to cast Light Flare, and cost 30 MP for Zorn to cast. Like Pyroblast from Final Fantasy IV, Light Flare is reflectable. The Japanese names of the two attacks are the same as Palom and Porom's Comet and Pyroblast.

Dissidia Final FantasyEdit

Golbez's EX Burst is a variation of Twincast where he combines his power with the Shadow Dragon. The player must input three pairs of button commands simultaneously to input the EX Burst correctly. With perfect execution, the Shadow Dragon paralyzes the opponent with Binding Cold, and Golbez casts Twin Meteor.

As an allusion to Final Fantasy IV, once Golbez has reached Level 100 and the player has purchased secret voice data for him in the PP Catalog, the Shadow Dragon may say "Give your power to Meteor!", Fusoya's line when he and Golbez prepared to use Twin Meteor, and as in the original game Golbez responds "very well" as the spell executes.

Dissidia 012 Final FantasyEdit

Twin Meteor returns as Golbez's perfect EX Burst, executed in the same manner and with the same power as in the original game.

Final Fantasy Trading Card GameEdit

Comet is the ability of one of Palom's cards. For the cost of Dulling Palom and discarding another Palom card, the player can tap a Porom they control to deal 1 damage to the opponent.

One of Porom's cards knows Pyroblast. For a similar cost as with Comet, discarding a Porom card and Dulling Porom, the player can tap an Active Palom they control to have Porom deal 8,000 damage to a Forward of their choice.

Another of Porom's cards has Twincast as its ability. By discarding another Porom, and dulling Porom and a Palom the player controls, the player can select up to two Forwards the opponent controls, returning one to the hand and inflicting 8,000 damage to the other.

GalleryEdit

TriviaEdit

  • Twin Meteor was originally translated as W.Meteo in the SNES and PlayStation translations of Final Fantasy IV. With Holy censored to White lead some to assumed that the abbreviated W in W.Meteo stand for White Meteor, a combination of the most powerful white and black magic spells. In Japanese, the letter W often stands for double.

Around Wikia's network

Random Wiki