- “A city located south of Dollet in the forest area. It was an independent country before neighboring country Galbadia invaded 18 years ago. There are numerous resistance groups fighting for independence to this day.”
- —FFVIII Info Corner
History and ProfileEdit
The city's name was derived from the surrounding woods. According to Anarchist Monthly, Galbadia, under the new leadership of President Vinzer Deling, invaded the area following the Sorceress War. Under Galbadian occupation the woodland has decreased dramatically. Prior to its occupation, those in the resistance were hunted down, and many citizens were killed and imprisoned leading to the deep-seated hostility in the local consciousness. Many of Timber's citizens have, or presently belong to, the resistance, although the resistance remains largely inactive owing to the strong Galbadian occupancy.
The town has four train stations, but because of the Galbadian soldiers travelers generally don’t stay long. Due to the citizens' disobedience with the current government the town has never really prospered under Galbadian regiment.
For a long time, Timber’s mass media reflected local political ideology, but was later heavily censored by the government. An atmosphere of new and old blends in the city, with houses and stores having a stone-made look, while the TV station has a futuristic appearance. The mixture of Timber and Galbadia's crests within the city allude to the town's complicated history. Timber used to have its own military troops while an independent nation, but following Galbadian occupation that body was largely dissolved and Galbadian soldiers serve as the peace-keeping force. In order to give its government a firmer presence, the Galbadian army has some of its troops stationed in Timber.
The newly graduated SeeD members are sent to Timber as their first mission to help the Forest Owls, a subversive group resisting the Galbadian occupation. During the mission Squall Leonhart meets Rinoa Heartilly for the second time, following their dance at Balamb Garden. Squall and his party are to aid the Forest Owls in kidnapping of the Galbadian President, Vinzer Deling, but the mission fails when it is discovered that the President they were attempting to kidnap is only a body double called Gerogero.
It is discovered that the President's business in Timber was to broadcast the announcement of a sorceress becoming Galbadia's new ambassador. During the broadcast Seifer Almasy appears, and holds the President hostage, until he is lured away by sorceress Edea. In the incident's aftermath the G-army searches the town and destroys the Forest Owls' base. Squall and his teammates lay low and avoid capture, and manage to escape to the Galbadia Garden by train.
- Timber Railroad Station
- Timber Maniacs Office
The Timber Maniacs office is the central administration for most magazines circulating the globe. They are responsible for publishing "battle series" magazines such as Weapons Monthly Magazine and photobooks such as "Jacket Over Skin: The Beautiful Women Edition". They also published a series of magazines called Timber Maniacs that focused on freelance writings.
- Items - Timber Maniacs Magazine, The Girl Next Door Magazine
- Draw points - Blizzaga (hidden, never refills)
- Aphorora Pub
A prominent bar located near the Railroad Station. Patrons can walk through the pub into a back alley to secretively access the Timber TV Station. All of the drinks for sale are named after greens found in other Final Fantasy games.
- Timber Hotel
A unique hotel due to its railroad theme, features a scaled train model in the foyer as well as an actual rail-crossing bar that prevents people from entering without paying first. The player can stay here for free if they rescue a little girl from an oncoming train at the train station.
- Items - Timber Maniacs Magazine
- Timber TV Station
- “All forms of communication now use HD cables. No radio transmissions are used. Timber TV Station keeps its radio systems, waiting for the day radio transmission is restored.”
- —FFVIII Info Corner
Before the Sorceress War's end all radio transmission broadcasts were broadcast from Timber's TV Station. Now, 17 years after all transmissions suddenly became static, the station still stands ready for use.
Timber Pet StoreEdit
During the mission to capture the president's train car Squall, Selphie, Zell and Rinoa jump over to the other train and the player has to input three codes. The player should go down when there are no guards and go back up if a guard gets near. In the next segment the player must input five codes and won't get a warning for the guards.
During the Timber train mission, if Squall is never detected by the guards he gains a SeeD rank. If he is detected less than 10 times it has no effect on his rank, but if the guards spot him over 10 times, his rank will drop.
Timber plays with Galbadia region rules, where Same is the sole starting rule.
- When the player defeats the Galbadian soldiers outside the pub during the event they try to get to the TV Station, they will obtain a Buel card. This card can be shown to a drunk man in the pub and he gives the player a Tonberry card. If the player modifies/loses the card before talking to the drunk man, he will give the player another, inferior card, instead.
- Doomtrain is won from the pub owner as part of Queen of Cards sidequest.
|Trouble with the audio sample?|
"Martial Law" is the theme song played in Timber. This song uses percussion and has a jazzy feel to it. "Timber Owls" is the song for the Forest Owls resistance group.
Timber is a term common in the United Kingdom and Australia for wood materials. The term Lumber is common in the United States of America and Canada.
- On Squall's first visit to the Timber TV Station, several repeating phrases are shown on the huge screen, including "IAMALIVEHERE" (I am alive here), "IWILLNEVERLETYOUFORGETABOUTME" (I will never let you forget about me), and "BRINGMEBACKTHERE" (Bring me back there). These are believed to be the thoughts of sorceress Adel confined in space.
- A guy near one of the stations will continually give Squall's party a Potion if either Rinoa or Quistis is in the party.
- The Timber soldiers' weapons and uniforms are similar to that of American Civil War era soldiers, tying into the antiquated, industrial-era appearance of the town.
- In Timber, a sign near the Timber TV Station says "Bropaganda Tower".
- There is a woman on the Timber train station who talks about Laguna having once saved her.
- If the player watches the train abduction demonstration in the Forest Owls' base twice, Selphie will suggest they derail the president's car instead, to which Zell points out it would be pointless to kill him before abducting him.
- All known resistance groups fighting for Timber's independence are compound terms and all have the word "Forest" as their first word in their names, e.g.: Forest Owls, Forest Fox, and The Forest Duck.