Thunderstorm (サンダーストーム, Sandā Sutōmu?), also known as Thunder Storm and Thunder, is a recurring attack in the Final Fantasy series. It is usually an attack usable by various summons and often does Lightning-elemental damage, or Ice-elemental damage, but sometimes does Wind-elemental damage as well.
Thunder Storm is the attack of Quezacotl. It does Lightning-elemental damage to all enemies. Quezacotl's summon time is 13.3s, which, according to the Final Fantasy VIII Ultimania, allows the player to boost its damage to around 180% of normal damage using a regular PlayStation controller.
Its damage is calculated as follows:
- $ Damage = 60 * Level / 10 + 44 $
- $ Damage = Damage * (265 - TargetSpr) / 8 $
- $ Damage = Damage * 44 / 256 $
- $ Damage = Damage * Boost / 100 $
- $ Damage = Damage * (100 + SummonMagBonus) / 100 $
- $ Damage = Damage * (900 - ElemDef) / 100: $
Elemental Defense starts at 800 (0%), 900 nullifies damage and 1000 absorbs it. If an enemy is shown to be weak against an element, its Elemental Defense is below 800. If damage becomes negative (due to high Elemental Defense), the target is healed by that amount.
Final Fantasy XI SpellThunderstorm
|Effect||Deals massive Lightning magic damage.|
|Recast Time||1 min|
|Magic Type||Blood Pact: Rage|
|Jobs||Ramuh 75 (Merit Points)|
Thunderstorm is a Merit Blood Pact: Rage for Ramuh, available to Summoners levels 75 and above who have purchased the ability using Merit Points. It deals massive Lightning damage to a single target, and its damage is increased by Ramuh's current TP. Placing additional merits in Thunderstorm grants a 40 TP bonus when to its power when used.
Final Fantasy XI SpellThunderstorm
|Effect||Grants the target party member the effects of Thundery weather.|
|Casting Time||3 seconds|
|Recast Time||15 seconds|
|Magic Type||Enhancing Magic|
The White Magic spell known as Thunderstorm is an enhancing spell granting the target the bonuses of lightning weather.
- Provides the single lightning weather effect, not the double lightning weather effect. This will stack if the zone currently has thundery weather, giving effect of double lightning weather. This will have no effect during a true thunderstorm (double lightning weather).
- Thundery weather has a chance (33% to 50%) to give Lightning spells a 10% power boost and a corresponding penalty to Water spells. If the Rairin Obi is equipped, the weather bonus will always be applied.
- Ionohelix will always gain the full effect of this weather.
- If the caster has the Merit Job Trait Stormsurge, then this spell will also increase the target's DEX by +3 (to a maximum of +7 with full merits).
Thunderstorm is used by the Summonstone Syldra. It cancels the opponent's ongoing summon effects.
Non-Final Fantasy AppearancesEdit
Kingdom Hearts seriesEdit
thunderstorm is a form of turbulent weather characterized by the presence of lightning and its acoustic effect on the Earth's atmosphere known as thunder. Thunderstorms occur in association with a type of cloud known as a cumulonimbus.A
Thunder is the sound caused by lightning. Depending on the distance and nature of the lightning, thunder can range from a sharp, loud crack to a long, low rumble (brontide).
- In the 2000 film version of Charlie's Angels, the two boys are playing Final Fantasy VIII and are controlling Squall and Quistis in a battle in the Training Center. They are fighting against two Grats, Squall is seen preparing to summon Quezacotl against the two Grats. The Thunder Storm name appears at the top of the screen before changing view point, the Thunder Storm attack is not shown.