I couldn't miss the chance to practice my drawing!
Shinryu, Ilberd's draconic god of vengeance, has been claimed by none other than Zenos yae Galvus, who has used his power as a Resonant to merge with the primal and bind it to his will. Transformed into a towering being of pure violence, his very existence poses a threat not only to Ala Mhigo, but to the entire world. All now falls to you and your comrades, for if you do not stop Zenos yae Galvus, no one will...
The battle is fought on a platform hovering in space. After Shinryu casts Protostar, the platform is split into nine tiles (a 3x3 grid), and individual tiles can be targeted or destroyed by the boss. If a player falls off the platform, they die, but can still be resurrected (unlike, say, in The Navel). Shinryu is extremely large, similar to Sephirot or The Manipulator, and as such is omnidirectional.
Throughout the battle, Shinryu has access to a handful of recurring mechanics, including the following:
- Akh Morn: a several-hit tank buster which deals splash damage, similar to The Final Coil of Bahamut - Turn 4.
- Earth Breath- Targets two random players (except for main tank), which will then place the aoe cone to where they last stood. Inflicts a damage over time debuff when hit.
- Holy Breath- targets nontanks and inflicts damage on player within area multiple times.
- Ice storm- Raid wide aoe damage.
- Levin Bolt- Targets 7 players (except for main tank) and deals damage.
- Hypernova- A stack damage that must be shared.
- Line knock back telegraphs which alternate.
- Corrupted Aether: a gauge (from 0 to 100) which increases throughout the fight. When the gauge reaches 100, Shinryu consumes all of the Corrupted Aether unleashes an attack of one of the six elemental abilities:
- Tidal Wave: Creates a waterfall on one of the cardinal points of the platform, which has a massive knock back effect. Creates three puddles which inflict Lightning Resistance Down II but grant Fire Resistance Up II while standing inside them.
- Hellfire: Heavy raid-wide damage, which is fatal without Fire Resistance Up II.
- Earthen Fury: Deals raid-wide aoe, and destroys one of the blue cracked tiles. Only used in the final phase.
- Judgment Bolt: Can deal raid-wide damage which must be healed through and has a chance to inflict Paralysis (which can be cured with Esuna). Fatal when coupled with Lightning Resistance Down II.
- Diamond Dust: Heavy raid-wide damage which creates a slippery floor. Leaves a puddle when ice is gone. Only used in the final phase.
- Aerial Blast: Spawns a tornado in the middle tile, which continuously knocks back and deals raid-wide damage. Only used in final phase.
After the first phase, Shinryu will target several areas on the platform for proximity damage, spawning adds at each of the targeted points; this mechanic repeats three times. Finally, Shinryu will begin channeling aether "to create a new star", and after a countdown will cast Protostar, dealing massive raid-wide damage, and then inflict Fetters on the raid and initiate a Active Time Maneuver. This transforms the arena and begins the final phase. Shinryu retains all mechanics from the first phase.
Immediately at the start of the final phase Shinryu uses a Divebomb/Cauterize style attack which covers nearly the whole platform, save for portions of two tiles; this also serves as a knock back, though if one positions far enough from the edge it is possible to avoid falling off. Shinryu also gains the ability to target two tiles and crush them with his Tail, destroying one and covering the other with the Tail. When the Tail is destroyed, Shinryu will take massive damage. Shinryu also can inflict a pair of players with Burning Chain, a tether which does damage proportional to the the distance between the two players, or none at all if the tether is broken.
- Left Wing
- Right Wing
Musical themes Edit
The theme of the first phase is called "Scale and Steel", and also plays at the end of The Far Edge of Fate when Shinryu fights Omega. After Shinryu casts Protostar, a remix of the Stormblood boss theme begins to play, with the following lyrics (which were also used in the Stormblood trailer):
- Storm of blood
- Born from blood
- Of our fallen brothers
- Borne upon our hands
- Cradled in our arms
- Swelling in our hearts
- Raise your weary head
- Heed the call to arms
- Ringing in your heart