Synergist (エンハンサー, Enhansā?, lit. "Enhancer") is a Paradigm role in Final Fantasy XIII. The role's main function is to support allies with an array of magical enhancements. It is symbolized by the initials SYN and the color Purple. Being in the Synergist role boosts the status enhancements' duration and the bonus is boosted further by having more Synergists in the current formation. The amount of bonus depends on the role level. A character can have maximum of eight status enhancements at one time.
- See also: Commando (Final Fantasy XIII), Ravager (Final Fantasy XIII), Sentinel (Final Fantasy XIII), Saboteur (Final Fantasy XIII), and Medic (Final Fantasy XIII).
- See also: Synergist (Final Fantasy XIII-2).
The Synergist's role bonus increases the duration of all status afflictions which target the party. If there is more than one Synergist in the party, the bonus factor is the sum of all applicable Synergist role bonuses. The role bonus is not contributed if the party member is incapacitated, and during summoning an Eidolon, only the party leader's role bonuses count.
|Boon||When a character successfully inflicts a status enhancement on an ally, any status enhancements already on the ally will have their remaining length of duration increased by 5 seconds.||9||6||8||7||6||9|
|Bravery||2||Increases physical power by 40%. Base duration: 150 sec||7||2||7||-||8||-|
|Bravera||2||Increases physical power by 80%; shorter effect duration than Bravery. Base duration: 30 sec||-||-||-||10||-||7|
|Faith||2||Increases magical power by 40%. Base duration: 150 sec||7||2||7||-||8||-|
|Faithra||2||Increases magical power by 80%; shorter effect duration than Faith. Base duration: 30 sec||-||-||-||10||-||7|
|Haste||2||Increases speed at which ATB gauge is filled. Base duration: 90 sec||10||6||9||-||9||8|
|Vigilance||2||Increases the chance of interrupting the opponent's action when attacking and grants immunity against interruption from the opponent. Base duration: 90 sec||10||2||7||7||-||-|
|Enfire||2||All attacks gain a fire-elemental attribute. Base duration: 180 sec||7||6||-||-||8||-|
|Enfrost||2||All attacks gain an ice-elemental attribute. Base duration: 180 sec||7||5||-||-||8||-|
|Enthunder||2||All attacks gain a lightning-elemental attribute. Base duration: 180 sec||7||4||-||-||7||-|
|Enwater||2||All attacks gain a water-elemental attribute. Base duration: 180 sec||7||4||-||-||7||-|
|Protect||2||Increases resistance to physical damage by 33%. Base duration: 150 sec||7||9||7||-||1||-|
|Protectra||2||Increases resistance to physical damage by 50%; shorter effect duration than Protect. Base duration: 30 sec||-||-||-||7||-||7|
|Shell||2||Increases resistance to magical damage and healing by 33%. Base duration: 150 sec||8||9||7||-||2||-|
|Shellra||2||Increases resistance to magical damage and healing by 50%; shorter effect duration than Shell. Base duration: 30 sec||-||-||-||9||-||7|
|Barfire||2||Increases resistance to fire-elemental damage. Base duration: 90 sec||-||7||-||7||3||-|
|Barfrost||2||Increases resistance to ice-elemental damage. Base duration: 90 sec||-||7||-||7||3||-|
|Barthunder||2||Increases resistance to lightning-elemental damage. Base duration: 90 sec||-||8||-||7||5||-|
|Barwater||2||Increases resistance to water-elemental damage. Base duration: 90 sec||-||8||-||7||5||-|
|Veil||2||Increases resistance to status ailments. Base duration: 90 sec||-||-||-||10||6||7|
Status Effect DurationEdit
Status effect duration is calculated by the following formula:
- Base Duration * Chain Bonus + (MA of the caster / 100)
The Chain Bonus in the formula refers to the target's chain value. When using roles that target allies, such as the Synergist and Medic, the player may notice that allies, as well as enemies, also have a chain gauge. This chain does not fill when being attacked by enemies, however, but is used solely for Medic's healing spells' and Synergist's spells' calculations. Hope's weapon skills Defense Maintenance and Defense Maintenance II also increase status enhancement duration.
- When choosing targets, Synergist usually bestows status effects to each player one at a time. For example, if a Synergist wants to place all party members under Haste and Shell, they will first cast Haste on each character, then Shell, one at a time.
- Synergists nearly always cast one spell per turn, even when they have at least four ATB gauges (They will occasionally cast Faith and Bravery together when they have at least four ATB gauges).
- If they have access to the spell, Synergists always start by casting Haste on each party member. They will always begin by casting Haste on themselves, then the user-controlled character, followed by the third party member.
- Once Haste is in place, Synergists bestow status effects depending on what the notes say for the enemies they are fighting against. Below is a list of possible notes, and the status effect(s) the Synergist will cast in reply to each note.
- "Delivers devastating physical attacks." - Protect or Protectra
- "Executes powerful magic attacks." - Shell or Shellra
- "Employs powerful fire-based attacks." - Barfire
- "Employs powerful ice-based attacks." - Barfrost
- "Employs powerful lightning-based attacks." - Barthunder
- "Employs powerful water-based attacks." - Barwater
- "Capable of inflicting Debrave." - Veil and either Bravery or Bravera
- "Capable of inflicting Defaith." - Veil and either Faith or Faithra
- "Capable of inflicting Deprotect." - Veil and either Protect or Protectra
- "Capable of inflicting Deshell." - Veil and either Shell or Shellra
- "Capable of inflicting Curse." - Veil and Vigilance
- "Capable of inflicting Pain/Fog/Slow/Daze/Poison/Imperil/Instant KO." - Veil
- "Susceptible to Curse and effects of Vigilance." - Vigilance
- "Vulnerable to fire damage." - Enfire
- "Vulnerable to ice damage." - Enfrost
- "Vulnerable to lightning damage." - Enthunder
- "Vulnerable to water damage." - Enwater
- "Vulnerable to physical attacks." - Bravery or Bravera
- "Vulnerable to magic attacks." - Faith or Faithra
- Once all status effects are added in accordance to the enemies' notes, the Synergist observe the enemy's elemental weaknesses to fire, ice, lightning and water. If any of these elements are labelled as a weakness, the Synergist will respectively cast Enfire, Enfrost, Enthunder or Enwater. Similarly, if the enemies are labelled as being weak against physical or magical attacks, the Synergist will respectively cast Bravery/Bravera or Faith/Faithara. This step is skipped if characters are already under these status effects.
- Next, Protect/Protectra, Shell/Shellra and Veil are applied to each character, if they do not already have them.
- Finally Vigilance, Bravery/Bravera and Faith/Faithra are applied. For these status effects, the Synergist applies all these status effects on one ally, then apply them to other allies. If the Synergist has at least four ATB gauges, they may cast two of these spells in one turn.
- If all characters are under all the status effects the Synergist can bestow, or they have reached the maximum of eight bestowed status effects, the Synergist will no longer take any action until at least one of the status effects expires.
- Spanish: Inspirador - Inspirer
- Italian: Sinergista - Synergist
- French: Tacticien - Tactician
- German: Augmentor - Enhancer
- Chinese: 支援者, Zhiyuanzhe - Assistant
- As opposed to Final Fantasy X, where multiple Nul- states could be stacked, only one En— and one Bar— status can be stacked on one ally in Final Fantasy XIII.
- In an early trailer for the English version of the game, characters were seen with the initials "AUG" in purple as their Paradigm role. It can be assumed that the Synergist role was originally referred to as "Augmenter".
- Vanille and Fang are the only characters to learn the stronger versions of the status enhancements; Bravera, Faithra, Protectra and Shellra.