Submarines are underwater vehicles used by the Shinra Electric Power Company in the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII. They are primarily used around Junon and to explore the area around the Junon Underwater Reactor.
Submarines are the only vehicles in Final Fantasy VII that can submerge below the ocean floor and explore the Bottom of the Sea locations. They can be docked and picked up at various natural harbors next to Junon, near the Gold Saucer, and just outside Lucrecia's Cave.
Discovering one located in Gongaga with the help of Reeve Tuesti, the Player Turk abducts a submarine from the Junon harbor with Cait Sith and navigates the mined ocean floor to get to the village unseen.
The party steals a "Shinra Sub" while hunting for the Huge Materia in the underwater reactor. While boarding the vessel, they can choose to fight a few Shinra guards, the same three guards Cloud meets when he after he first jumped into the higher levels of Junon, in the bridge or spare their lives and hold them prisoner instead. Either way, it has no effect on the gameplay involving the submarine. If the player takes them prisoner, cutscenes involving the inside of the submarine, such as when finding the Key of the Ancients, will have them sitting on the side as prisoners.
While searching for the Materia, the party will encounter a red submarine transporting the Huge Materia and become embroiled in an underwater battle. If the enemy submarine is not defeated, the Huge Materia is lost forever and the player can find the red submarine inside the submarine dock at the Underwater Reactor. If the submarine is defeated, examining the sunken wreckage on the sea floor will reveal the Huge Materia.
If the player's submarine gets destroyed, Cloud and the party are saved by Mr. Dolphin and wash ashore in Junon. The player loses the submarine they had, but they can get another one by going to Junon and taking the entryway previously guarded by a dog to the Junon Submarine Dock. This is the only way for the player to get a red submarine; otherwise their submarine will be gray.
The submarine can also be used to explore the ocean in the center of the World Map. If the submarine touches the Emerald Weapon, a battle initiates. The submarine is also required to get to the Gelnika, and is needed to obtain the Ancient Key necessary to progress through the game.
Both submarines share the same layout, though the torpedo room can only be accessed in the gray submarine. To access the room one would have to fail the submarine mission, and it is this same criteria is also necessary to be able to see the interior of the red submarine.
|UV type Submarine|
|Draft||5.3 meters (landing)|
|Standard Displacement||1,342 tons (Surface)|
2,722 tons (underwater)
|System||Shinra standard-issue mako engine x1|
|Speed||17.5 knots (surface)|
27.3 knots (underwater)
|Range||7,500 nautical miles at 18 knots|
|Armament||610 millimeter torpedo tubes x4|
20 millimeter mounted machine guns x2
|Place of Construction||Junon Shipyard Dock 3|
- The submarine minigame can be later replayed in the Gold Saucer's Wonder Square; known as Torpedo Attack.
- The kanji on the grey submarine means "#2" while the kanji on the red submarine means "#1".
- There is a glitch concerning the submarine, where if the player dismounts a chocobo next to the submarine and immediately gets into the sub, they can cause the submarine to get stuck on land.
- If Yuffie is in the player party in Final Fantasy VII, she starts suffering from motion sickness almost immediately after the sub embarks. Cloud also starts suffering momentarily from claustrophobia.
- Cloud once worked with the guards in the bridge while incognito in Junon during President Rufus Shinra's inauguration. Together they practiced their battle victory poses for the parade.