Squall is the main playable party member in Final Fantasy VIII. He is the most powerful party member due to his Renzokuken Limit Break's sheer strength and his gunblades, which have a 255% accuracy and never miss. Like other playable characters, there is also a Triple Triad card based on Squall. He is also playable in demos for Final Fantasy VIII.
Squall uses the hybrid weapon known as the gunblade in battle. Through upgrades via junk shops he can come to wield variant models, although in cutscenes he always wields the Revolver. Gunblades provide 255% accuracy, making Squall the most proficient melee fighter as he never misses, even when afflicted by the Blind status. When pressing the trigger immediately as the weapon hits an enemy, he can boost the damage dealt by 50%.
Squall's own model gunblade is unique, featuring a stenciled Griever on both sides of the blade, as well as having a chained pendant of Griever's head attached to the handle's base. The gunblade's casing is also custom, featuring an enlarged image of Squall's Griever pendant on the lid.
There are seven gunblade models available for Squall to use:
- Revolver – Initial model. Described in Weapons Monthly, March Issue.
- Shear Trigger – Described in Weapons Monthly, April Issue.
- Cutting Trigger – Described in Weapons Monthly, May Issue.
- Flame Saber – Described in Weapons Monthly, June Issue.
- Twin Lance – Described in Weapons Monthly, July Issue.
- Punishment – Described in Weapons Monthly, August Issue.
- Lion Heart – Described in Weapons Monthly, 1st Issue.
Squall's Limit Break is Renzokuken. The player is prompted to tap the trigger button at the correct time, indicated by a moving bar on the bottom of the screen. Squall will slash the targeted enemy four to eight times before beginning one of his four finishing moves.
The finishing move is chosen randomly, but Squall learns finishing moves in accordance to his acquiring of new gunblade models, and can only do a certain finishing move if he is wielding the gunblade model necessary to perform that technique. For instance, Squall cannot use the Lion Heart if he is not equipped with the Lion Heart gunblade.
- Rough Divide - Obtain Revolver or higher to execute.
- Fated Circle - Obtain Shear Trigger or higher to execute.
- Blasting Zone - Obtain Flame Saber or higher to execute.
- Lion Heart - Obtain Lion Heart to execute.
Squall always starts at level 7 with his EXP bar half-way filled, similar to how Cloud always levels up in his first battle in Final Fantasy VII. Squall's first level up being from level 7 to level 8 may thus be an allusion to the number 8. Natural stat growth is a minor influence in Final Fantasy VIII because of the junction system, but Squall has generally high stats compared to other party members. His Hit% is always 255% because of his weapon.
|Refine||1 refines into 3 Three Stars|
|Level 10 (Player Card)||Win||Card game: Laguna Loire (Esthar City or on the Ragnarok), CC Group (on the Ragnarok (disc 4))|