- “Scion that is both horse and woman, wielding utter control over the souls that wander the underworld, in opposition to the Martyr Igeyorhm, scion of light. Though she once served the gods as a guardian, when Ultima announced her rebellion, Shemhazai went to her, whispering of the gods' hidden weaknesses. She then descended upon the land without leave of the gods, and taught men of destruction and evil. For this was she stricken down and bound.”
- —Clan Primer Bio
Shemhazai, the Whisperer (密告者シュミハザ, Mikkokusha Shumihaza?, lit. Shemhazai, the Betrayer) is an Esper from the world of Ivalice. The Esper of Soul, she represents the Zodiac sign of Sagittarius, the Archer. Shemhazai's hands resemble crossbows, she has horse-like qualities and from her power of Soul, her color sign is pink. She is also referred to as the Dhanus Ascendant, which is the Sanskrit name of its Zodiac sign as used in Jyotish (Hindu) astrology.
- For the battle information, see: Shemhazai (Final Fantasy XII Boss)
Shemhazai is found in the lowest reaches of Giruvegan, just before the warp point leading to the Occuria, in the Gate of Fire. It can be assumed they sealed her here to protect them once more. Shemhazai is the third of the five Espers obtained during the main storyline.
Shemhazai's License costs 50 LP, and she requires two Mist Charges to summon.
Devour Soul: A non-elemental attack. Its damage is calculated just like the item Knot of Rust:
- Shemhazai's Current HP / (Random number 1-10)
- Its damage cap is 9999.
Some sources will say it is Shemhazai's Max HP that determines its damage, but this is not the case; it is her current HP, and thus does more damage when she's at Max HP. To improve damage, the player can cast the spell Bubble on her.
Soul Purge: A non-elemental attack, and Shemhazai's ultimate attack. Shemhazai walks to the top of a cliff under the moonlight. She sees the moon, and charges her guns. She jumps off the cliff, shooting the enemies in range with pure soul energy. She lands near the enemies, and the soul energy that struck the enemies charges up into a multiple of explosions, striking the enemies. Its damage is calculated just like the item Dark Matter:
- (Sum of all Knot of Rust damage + Sum of all Devour Soul damage) / 3
Its damage cap is 60,000, making it the second most powerful single attack in Final Fantasy XII, only bested by Zeromus's Big Bang, and one of the only attacks that breaks the damage limit. Once used, the damage is set back down to 0, and has to be built up again. Unlike most other Esper attacks, Soul Purge is unaffected by Reverse.
|1||Summon time remaining 10s||Soul Purge|
|2||Self: HP 30%||Soul Purge|
|3||Foe: any||Devour Soul|
- Ignore weather and terrain effects
- Attack: 73
- Defense: 47
- Magick Defense: 31
Shemhazai takes half damage from all elements.
- Main article: Shemhazai (Revenant Wings)
- “His whispers echo between lightning's flash and thunder's crash.”
- —In-game description
Shemhazai returns, along with many of the other Scions, in Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings. She is the Rank III Lightning Melee summon. She appears in Mission 67: Echo of Thunder. Upon her defeat, Balthier gains the Quickening Element of Treachery, and Shemhazai becomes available on the Ring of Pacts. Interestingly, the in-game text describes her as male.
Shemhazai appears as a Scion. She can be called by anyone equipping the Armlet of Whispers when the Smash Gauge is orange. When summoned, she uses Soul Purge on one target of choice with 100% accuracy.
A randomly encountered party consisting of five Yellow Chocobos and one Level 99 Red Chocobo named Redhawk can be encountered in Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift, appearing in the Corpolk Field of the Goug region. Defeating them will grant the clan the accessory needed to summon Shemhazai, the Armlet of Whispers.
The summon deals damage equal to the total amount of damage a character has done over the course of the game, so Shemhazai is the easiest Scion to successfully deal enough damage to guarantee a one-hit-kill.
Shemhazai is derived from the name of the fallen angel, Samyaza. Samyaza's name translates to "infamous rebellion", which hints at Shemhazai's rebellion along with the other Espers. Shemhazai was the leader of the angels who interred with humans, and produced the Nephilim, as stated in the Old Testament (Genesis 6:1-4).
- Despite not having a "traditional" elemental affinity in Final Fantasy XII, in Revenant Wings, Shemhazai is the level three Lightning Scion on the Ring of Pacts.
- In Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, Shemhazai is the only Esper that returns with her Deathblow, Soul Purge, as her normal attack.
- Shemhazai is the only Esper not based upon a previous Final Fantasy villain or Final Fantasy Tactics Lucavi, though fans have drawn parallels between her and Ultimecia.
- In Revenant Wings Shemhazai is referred to as being male, despite specifically being referred to as female in Final Fantasy XII.