In the casino Serendipity the player can exchange their winnings for a fragment called "Setzer's Dice". Its description says Setzer's "consummate skill once drove Serendipity to the brink of ruin". His surname, "Gabbiani", is used in a Brain Blast! question at Academia 4XX AF, stating he had "won the most number of coins at the slot machines in a single day" in Serendipity.
Setzer's costume is a reward at the Manderville Gold Saucer. It is available for both male and female characters, and in total, costs 200,000 MGP. A chocobo barding that mimics Setzer's long coat is also available for 40,000 MGP.
The name Setzer crops out in the "Storm of 777" errand. The errand is as follows:
- The Blackjack, the casino ship is at the port. The slot machine at the left end of the ship is said to be loose. You should try it out!
The outcome is as follows:
- The Casino ship Blackjack is at the port Limberry castle. The slot machine on the left hand side gave us 777, the jackpot. Nothing happened so we asked Setzer about this. He said he deliberately lowered the pay-off rate. "Gambling's not fun unless there's some risk."
Setzer appears as an unseen character. There is an airship named after him, the Setzer. It is the only airship in the game that the player can manually control on the world map.
When Class Zero cadets activate the airship for the first time, a message from "Captain Setzer" appears on the airship control panel, read "With hope in my heart and my chin held high, I await the day my ship shall once more rule the sky. —Captain Setzer".
Setzer appears as a playable character.
Setzer appears as an ally and a summonable Legend. He is depicted in his Final Fantasy VI outfit. His EX ability is Dive Bomb.
- Ability Cards
- Legend Cards
This gambling rogue soars the skies, facing danger to visit the tombs of friends.
Setzer is an exclusive character available from the Premium Character Shop as a random downloadable content. He uses the Dive Bomb ability during battle.
Proud owner of the airship Blackjack. After the death of his friend and long-time rival Darill he abandoned his dream of possessing the fastest airship in the world. Instead, he built a casino aboard the Blackjack, where he wiles away the hours gambling.
Setzer is a playable character who could be recruited during the Challenge Event Back to the Skies as the First Time Reward for completing the event's stage Blackjack - Pursuit in Part 1. He was also recruitable by way of the Bonus Quest, "Complete Opera House Elite (VI)", and has since appeared in Prima Donna.
Setzer is a Gambler, whose combat role is Physical Support.
Setzer's stats are consistent with those of a typical Ranger or similar back-row unit. His HP are lower compared with other attack units while still having decent Attack; and his Defense is average while most other scores remain low. His best use is against ranged targets while equipped with projectile weapons such as boomerangs and gambling pieces. Setzer is one of a very limited list of characters who can use rarer Support skills and thus is an invaluable asset despite his weaknesses.
His default Soul Break is Dice which at the expense of one Soul Gauge segment deals one of six amounts of fixed damage to one target. The gambling gear Darts (VI) allows Setzer to use Dive Bomb which at the expense of one Soul Gauge segment deals four consecutive fire attacks to all enemies and sometimes Blind them.
He can equip accessories.
- 3★ - No. 0505: "A gambler from another world where magic and espers once lived. As owner of the airship known as the Blackjack, Setzer has spent most of his time gambling his life away, quite literally. He had planned to kidnap the famous opera star Maria to make her his bride, but his plans were foiled when she was replaced with Celes as part of her group's efforts against the empire. Although he sees through the farce, and the coin trick she performs for him, he still decides to keep his promise to help her."
- 4★ - No. 0506: "A gambler from another world where magic and espers once lived. Setzer built a casino on his beloved ship, the Blackjack, as a symbol of his carefree lifestyle. After meeting Celes and being impressed by the way in which she tried to deceive him, he decided to help her and her friends in their efforts against the empire. His airship may have granted the group great mobility, but Kefka's eventual destruction of the world would also result in the unfortunate loss of the Blackjack."
- 5★ - No. 0507: "A gambler from another world where magic and espers once lived. The destruction of the world also resulted in the destruction of Setzer's beloved airship, the Blackjack. Phased by these events, he turns to alcohol to avoid the harsh reality until he is reunited with Celes, who manages to convince him to rejoin their cause. Together they visit the tomb of Setzer's close friend Darill, where they dig out the remains of her old airship, the Falcon, in hopes of using it as transport. Soaring the skies with Celes and her friends once again, they travel around the world looking for the rest of their scattered comrades."
- —Entries for different versions of Setzer.
Setzer's stats at his highest levels are as follows, with no passive abilities taken into account*Actual stats may be higher:
|Rarity||Level||HP||MP||ATK||DEF||MAG||SPR||Attack Hits||Drop Check*Maximum LB crystals drop per hit|
|4★||60||2108 (+240)||90 (+40)||86 (+16)||73 (+16)||68 (+16)||73 (+16)||2||4|
|5★||80||2741 (+300)||118 (+50)||112 (+20)||96 (+20)||89 (+20)||96 (+20)||2||5|
|6★||100||3564 (+450)||154 (+75)||146 (+30)||125 (+30)||116 (+30)||125 (+30)||2||6|
Setzer can equip the following weapon types: daggers, swords and throwing.
He can equip the following armor types: hats, helmets, clothes, light armors and robes.
He can equip accessories.
- Limit Burst
|4★||Diving Bomb||Base: Physical damage (2.3x) with ignore DEF (50%) to all enemies.|
Max: Physical damage (3x) with ignore DEF (50%) to all enemies.
|5★||Diving Bomb||Base: Physical damage (2.5x) with ignore DEF (50%) to all enemies.|
Max: Physical damage (3.45x) with ignore DEF (50%) to all enemies.
|6★||Diving Bomb||Base: Physical damage (2.7x) with ignore DEF (50%) to all enemies.|
Max: Physical damage (3.9x) with ignore DEF (50%) to all enemies.
- Awakening Materials
|Rainbow Needle x25|
Brilliant Ray x8
Lucky Seedling x13
Sacre Crystal x5
Holy Crystal x8
|Divine Crystal x5|
Fairies' Writ x10
Calamity Gem x5
Prismatic Horn x10
Calamity Writ x20
Setzer appears on Triple Triad cards in the version available via Final Fantasy Portal App.
My life is a chip in your pile. Time to ante up.
Setzer appears in Kingdom Hearts II, and is the only pre-Final Fantasy VII character to appear in the Kingdom Hearts series, meaning he is also the first to get a modernized three-dimensional redesigning. He is the champion of the Struggle competition in Roxas's Simulated Twilight Town. He asks Roxas to throw the match for him, leading to two different outcomes: if Roxas wins, Setzer surrenders his title as Struggle champion; if Roxas loses, Setzer gives him a medal as "thanks". Setzer can later be fought in another, optional Struggle match. Setzer's personality is exaggerated depicting him as a flashy and arrogant ladies' man who often taunts the player.