|Cid: Oh, shut up and help me remodel the Sentinel (Final Fantasy XIII) page!||Please expand this article into a full one. This can be done by putting the real flavor text from game. This request can be discussed on the associated discussion page.|
Sentinels are defensive specialists. They provide interference, drawing enemy aggression toward themselves and using their enhanced defense to minimize damage to the party.
Sentinel (ディフェンダー, Difendā?, lit. Defender) is a paradigm role in Final Fantasy XIII whose main function is to shield allies from enemy attacks with enhanced defense. They can counterattack after taking on enemy attacks, making them similar to a Viking. The role is symbolized with the initials SEN and the color yellow.
Merely being in the role boosts the character's defense against both physical and magical attacks and the bonus is distributed to the other party members in lesser degree. The bonus depends on the role level and applies even if the attack ignores physical/magical defense. If the paradigm has more than one Sentinel the bonus is the sum of all applicable Sentinel bonuses.
The player earns the Sentinel's Seal achievement upon learning all the abilities and reaching level 5 for the Sentinel role of a single character. This can only be achieved after defeating the final boss to unlock Stage 10 of the Crystarium.
- The Sentinel's first move is to draw in all enemy aggression. If there are at least three enemies that can be provoked, but are not currently provoked, the Sentinel will use the Provoke ability. If there are one or two enemies that can be provoked, but are not currently provoked, the Sentinel will use the Challenge ability. If Challenge is not available, they will use Provoke instead. Enemies that have "high damage-dealing potential" are always provoked first. Sentinels will only use Provoke and Challenge once per turn.
- Once all enemies are provoked, the Sentinel will use their guard abilities depending on their current HP. If their HP is full or close to full, Sentinels will use counter attack abilities, such as Vendetta or Entrench. If their HP is around half full, Sentinels will use Mediguard. If their HP is very low, Sentinels will use Steelguard. Sentinels will only guard once their ATB gauge is full.
The Crystarium Levels when each character can advance in role level.
The Sentinel's role bonus reduces damage and the bonus extends to other party members. If the party has more than one Sentinel the Sentinels get both their personal bonus for being a Sentinel, plus the party Sentinel bonuses from the other Sentinel(s). The role bonus is not contributed if the party member is incapacitated, and during summoning an Eidolon, only the party leader's role bonuses count.
Stock a set of commands focused on protecting allies.
When a Sentinel is guarding using any of its guard abilities, enemies cannot launch them in the air.
|Provoke||1||Makes the target and nearby opponents attack the defender.||7||7||1||7||7||5|
|Elude||1||While using Elude the damage reduction percentage increases by 20. While guarding, character has 50% chance to avoid an enemy attack. Not all attacks can be evaded. Will not activate Counter.||7||—||—||—||7||—|
|Challenge||1||Greatly increases the chance of one target attacking the defender.||—||7||6||—||—||7|
|Vendetta||1||While using Vendetta the damage reduction percentage increases by 10. Counter attack after guarding. The more damage the Sentinel takes, the more damage they deal to the enemy in return; each received attack increases the final damage by 10% to a max bonus of 300%.||—||7||5||—||8||8|
|Entrench||1||While using Entrench the damage reduction percentage increases by 10. Counter attack after guarding. The longer the Sentinel guards, the more damage they deal to the enemy in return; each stocked Entrench command increases the final damage by 30%.||—||—||7||9||7||7|
|Steelguard||1||While using Steelguard the damage reduction percentage increases by 20. Defense increases each time the Sentinel is attacked while guard is in effect; each received attack increases the damage reduction by 1-3%.||—||7||1||7||—||6|
|Mediguard||1||While using Mediguard the damage reduction percentage increases by 20 while simultaneously recovering HP. Each stocked Mediguard command recovers an additional ~4% of max HP.||—||—||6||7||—||5|
|Occasionally evade enemy attacks.|
20% chance of avoiding enemy attack. Only activates when a character is not performing an action. Not all attacks can be evaded.
|Occasionally counterattack enemies after evading their attacks.|
Chance to counterattack after evading an enemy attack with Evade. Never activates if character evades an attack using Elude (see below). Not all attacks can be countered even if they can be evaded.
|Boost physical and magic resistance when HP is low.|
Whenever the Sentinel's HP is HP Critical, the resistance to physical and magical damage increases by 25%.
|Reduce damage to nearby allies when you are the target of an area attack.|
Whenever the Sentinel is targeted by an enemy attack, any party members involved in that attack will receive 35% less damage.
|If HP is above a certain threshold, retain 1 HP when an attack would otherwise KO you.|
Whenever the Sentinel's HP is above critical and they receive an attack that should have reduced the Sentinel's HP to zero, they will remain alive with one HP.
If hacked, Hand Grenade and the Potion ability are fully functional and works as intended. Hand Grenade and Potion can manually be selected from the Abilities command.
|Hand Grenade||2||Deal physical damage to targets in range.|
|Restores a small amount of HP to all allies.|
- Spanish: Protector - Protector
- Italian: Sentinella - Sentinel
- French: Défenseur - Defender
- German: Verteidiger - Defender
- Chinese: 防禦者, Fangyuzhe - Defender
- As Hope has wider choice in abilities than Lightning, Elude is considered as Lightning's "signature" Sentinel move.