Men are so obtuse... Must I say it plainly? I want to stay with you a bit longer! There!
Lady Sara Altney is the princess of Sasune from Final Fantasy III, and the player's first extra party member. She is met and recruited in the Sealed Cave. In the 3D releases, she has feelings toward Ingus.
Sara has blue eyes and long strawberry blonde hair pinned back with a headdress and other hair ornaments. She wears a blue bustier that shows her midriff with a long purple-and-white cape and high collar. Her sleeves are detached and she wears dark fingerless gloves. She has an elaborate belt and wears blue-and-yellow trousers that are wide enough to appear as a skirt. She wears plain brown slippers.
Sara is brave and determined. She sets out to seal the Djinn herself when he curses the kingdom. Although she is intimidated when she reaches his cave, she is undeterred and readily joins the party when they arrive to "rescue" her. She decides to stay in Castle Sasune when they set out on their quest, not wanting to get in their way, but she doesn't hesitate to help them again when they are caught in a trap at Syrcus Tower. She is cheerful and friendly while traveling with the others and doesn't mind Luneth's lack of formality.
She has feelings for Ingus, which she makes clear even though he is less effusive with his own.
Sara joins the party after they travel into the Sealed Cave to find her, assuming that the Djinn had kidnapped the princess for her Mythril Ring. However, Sara left of her own volition to break his curse. Her first attempt to seal the Djinn with the Mythril Ring fails, so the party must weaken him in battle before it works. After the Djinn is killed, she throws her ring into the spring in the castle basement, dispelling the curse and remaining in Castle Sasune while the party continues with their adventure.
Whenever the party meets Sara, she shows interest in Ingus. While he has sworn to protect her, he returns the interest. When Doga asks Sara to help break the Curse of the five wyrms, she joins him once she finds out Ingus is in trouble. After breaking the curse, she stays behind with the others while the party enters the World of Darkness.
When the Cloud of Darkness is defeated, Sara decides to stay with Ingus for a while, before returning to the castle.
In the 3D versions, she aids the party by casting Cure on its members and Aero against monsters. As Cure and Aero are both White Magic spells, it is likely Lady Sara is supposed to be a White Mage character, like Aria Benett.
Sara is an ally and a summonable Legend. Her EX ability is Aero.
- Ability Cards
- Legend Cards
I will not yet return to the castle! I wish to adventure with you a little longer!
Sara appears as a character and summonable vision. Her job is listed as Princess.
Sara's Trust Master reward is the Sara's Robe armor.
- 3★ - No. 0597: "A young lady hailing from another world where tales are passed down of the Crystals and the Warriors of Light. Sara is the Princess of Sasune, and holds deep feelings for one of the Warriors of Light, Ingus. She is last seen when her father's castle and the people within are cursed by the Djinn, many believing her to have been kidnapped. However, she had actually left the castle of her own volition in order to seal the Djinn with the Mythril Ring and save her people. Sara meant to face this terrible monster by herself."
- 4★ - No. 0598: "A young lady hailing from another world where tales are passed down of the Crystals and the Warriors of Light. Although Sara is the Princess of Sasune, she displays the qualities of a tomboy from time to time. Taking the Mythril Ring with her, she leaves the castle alone after it is cursed by the Djinn to chase this monster back to the Sealed Cave where it dwells, defeat it, and save her people. Having received the aid of the Warriors of Light, she decides to remain in the cave and fight by their side, rather than placing the task she set for herself upon them and returning home."
- 5★ - No. 0599: "A young lady hailing from another world where tales are passed down of the Crystals and the Warriors of Light. Sara is the dangerously spontaneous Princess of Sasune who takes the Mythril Ring with her to save the people of Castle Sasune from the curse of the Djinn all by herself. She has feelings for Ingus, a soldier who serves her father and has sworn to protect her. Thus, when he is chosen as one of the Warriors of Light, she bravely fights back her tears in order to give him a proper send off."
- —Entries for different versions of Sara.
Sara's stats at her highest levels are as follows (with no passive abilities taken into account), along with the maximum amount of stat points that can be increased through pot-enhancements:
Sara can equip the following weapons: daggers, staves, rods and maces.
She can equip the following armors: hats, clothes and robes.
She can equip accessories.
- Limit Bursts
- Awakening Materials
|Allure Powder x25|
Esper Cryst x15
Rainbow Needle x10
Deepsea Bloom x5
Sacred Crystal x5
|Rainbow Needle x20|
Deepsea Bloom x10
Sacred Crystal x10
Holy Crystal x5
|3★||Where am I? You! Do you know where Ingus is?||I shan't be a burden to you. I can fight, I tell you!||―|
|4★||Allow me to go with you! It was scary coming here all alone...||I feel I've grown stronger! It's all thanks to you. Thank you.||This will help in the fight! So, would you mind me tagging along? I want to make myself presentable for when I meet Ingus.|
|5★||I am Sara, Princess of Sasune. I will do my best not to get in your way!||I don't want to just be protected. I want to save someone as well!||Now I should be able to fight alongside you!|
Sara appears on a card depicting her Yoshitaka Amano artwork.
Sera is Latin for "heavenly" or "winged angel", and also a variant of the name Sarah, (שָׂרָה in Hebrew) the Hebrew name for "princess", or a woman of high rank. Her name alludes to Princess Sarah from the original Final Fantasy.
- In the Dawn of Souls and all subsequent remakes of the original Final Fantasy, Sara is referenced as one of the names the player can choose for the White Mage job.
- Though it is spelled differently, Sara continues the Final Fantasy tradition of supporting female characters named Princess Sarah.
- In initial screenshots of the Nintendo DS version of Final Fantasy III, Sara's model had a different appearance from the final version.