Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Sacred City of Adoulin is a city-state in Final Fantasy XI. Located on the eastern seaboard of Ulbuka, it is the most densely populated city on the continent and forms the heart of the alliance that binds the settlements of the Adoulin Islands together.
Although Adoulin is the name given both to the city as well as the outlying archipelago to its east, the Sacred City refers to the capital city itself, which is divided into two halves, Western and Eastern Adoulin, by the Senroh Sea.
Western Adoulin sits on the edge of continental Ulbuka and is barricaded from the hinterland by a giant wall known as Jorius Yett. As the busier half of the city, four of the six coalitions established to aid the pioneering effort are located here. Eastern Adoulin rests on the Isle of Adoulin to its east and is home to Castle Adoulin, the Celennia Wexworth Memorial Library and the houses of the noble class. The two halves of the city are connected by the colossal Big Bridge, which spans the Senroh Sea.
Adoulin's coat-of-arms is a motif of one larger sword with eleven smaller swords surrounding it to form a circle, to represent the founder king and his eleven trusted solders. The wing motifs behind the swords symbolize the Goddess Altana, for whom the dominant religions in Adoulin believe in.
In ancient times, the Isle of Adoulin and its surrounding islands were ruled by the crocodile-like beastmen known as Velkk before they were driven out from Adoulin by a great hero. The hero August, now known as the founder king, established the Adoulinian Empire and built Castle Adoulin on the Isle of Adoulin, and a city then sprung up in its surrounding area. In recognition for their service, eleven of King August's most trusted soldiers were given land and status. Together, the royal family and the eleven houses would eventually become what is known as the twelve orders of Adoulin today.
Although King August went on to subjugate the rest of the region, he made an ancient pact on his deathbed, that man would not set foot on Ulbuka again. This would soon be forgotten, as Adoulin later entered an age of exploration that lasted hundreds of years, known as the "Great Expedition".
The "Great Expedition" proved to be a futile attempt at expanding Adoulin's domain in Ulbuka and brought it to the brink of economic collapse. It was thus decided nearly 200 years ago (C.E. 673) that the city would no longer partake in colonization-related activities and would instead focus on mercantile pursuits. A giant wall known as Jorius Yett was built around the city of Adoulin to separate what remained of its habitable land from the wilderness.
In C.E. 773, sensing a need for change during the 17th Assembly, the ruling house of Adoulin elected to dissolve the long-standing imperial system in favor of a government represented by the twelve existing orders. This led to Adoulin developing into a city-state with a well-funded mercantile trade.
In recent years, Ygnas S Adoulin, the Grand Chancellor of Adoulin, declared that the colonization project was to be restarted after centuries. Adoulin would thus open its borders to recruit pioneers from the Middle Lands.
Adoulin is governed by a ruling council that makes decisions via consensus. Ygnas S. Adoulin, the current Grand Chancellor, acts as the figurehead of the Sacred City of Adoulin. As the council has the final say over all matters both domestic and international, the position is merely an honorary title.
While the leader of the Order of Adoulin traditionally holds the appointment of Grand Chancellor, each of the leaders of the other orders also hold key positions within the Sacred City of Adoulin. Five leaders hold administrative positions as Ministers in the city.
- Grand Chancellor: Ygnas S. Adoulin
- Traditionally held by a representative of the Order of Adoulin. The Grand Chancellor acts as the figurehead of the city and in recent years has also taken responsibility of foreign affairs.
- Minister of Commerce: Chero-Machero
- Traditionally held by a representative of the Order of Gorney. This minister's role is to stimulate economic growth and mercantile success.
- Minister of Public Affairs: Svenja
- Traditionally held by a representative of the Order of Janniston. This minister has closest ties with the Adoulinian populace and is tasked with keeping the streets clean and the citizens happy.
- Minister of Finance: Melvien de Malecroix
- Traditionally held by a representative of the Order of Woltaris. This minister is in charge of Adoulin's treasury and cataloguing the nation's expenditure.
- Minister of Education: Ikhi Askamot
- Traditionally held by a representative of the Order of Renaye. This minister fosters intellectual development among Adoulin's citizenry and provides the means to increase their quality of life.
- Minister of Judication: Hildebert
- Traditionally held by a representative of the Order of Weatherspoon. This minister presides over Adoulin's courts and ensure that law is being observed. Adoulin's Exorcist Priory also falls under jurisdiction of the Minister of Judication.
As part of the colonization effort, six public enterprises were established, with each catering to a specific area of the effort and providing assignments for pioneers to undertake. The leaders of the six remaining orders serve as Maesters of these coalitions.
- Pioneers' Coalition: Lhe Lhangavo
- This coalition focuses on the pioneering effort in the hinterland as well as the city's agricultural interests.
- Couriers' Coalition: Reginald
- This coalition focuses on the inspection and distribution of goods throughout the continent.
- Scouts' Coalition: Margret
- This coalition focuses on surveying Ulbuka's wilds and conducting research. They are also tasked to managed the Celennia Memorial Library.
- Inventors' Coalition: Amchuchu
- This coalition focuses on manufacturing, invention of new technology and applied science in Adoulin.
- Mummers' Coalition: Flaviria
- This coalition focuses on recreation and boosting the morale of the people of Adoulin.
- Peacekeepers' Coalition: Gratzigg
- This coalition focuses on maintaining the peace, security and defense of Adoulin.
Adoulin has a diverse population with the most dominant race being Hume. Although the people of Adoulin only speak the common language, they practice a number of different religious beliefs, ranging from believers of Altana (Eimert Church, Church of San d'Oria and Church of Tavnazia), Animitism and Talekeeperism.
- Humes: 35%
- Mithra: 25%
- Elvaan: 15%
- San d'Orian Elvaan: 10%
- Ouschrahd Galka: 10%
- Other: 5%