- "It's our home. It belongs to us all."
The Royal City of Rabanastre (王都ラバナスタ, Ōto Rabanasuta?) is a city in Ivalice, the world of Final Fantasy XII and Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings. It is the hometown of Vaan, the hume orphan and the game's main character. Being the capital of the Kingdom of Dalmasca, Princess Ashe would also normally make residence here. Rabanastre becomes the most frequently visited city by the player, and could be considered a "homebase".
- See also: Sage Knowledge.
- "Capital of Old Dalmasca, and before that, many other kingdoms stretching back into the storied history of the Galtean Peninsula. Rule by the Dalmascan royal family lasted for several hundred years before the city's fall to the Archadian Empire two years past. Now an Imperial territory. The story of the city's people is the story of three cultures, those of Valendia, Ordalia, and Kerwon, who bore trade goods along the many well-frequented routes leading to her welcoming gates. The town proper of Rabanastre is divided into four sections by the cardinal directions of the compass. The east and west are merchant districts, the streets lined with shops and stalls of every description. In the north, the streets widen into a large piazza facing the palace, and to the South can be found three gates leading beyond the city walls to the Dalmasca desert and Giza Plains. The aerodrome can be found in the western outskirts of town, surrounded by numerous privately operated airship docks. In the northwestern part of town stands a splendid cathedral built in the Galtean style, the bell of which, when rung, sounds through every hearth and home in the city."
- —Sage Knowledge 39
- "Lowtown lies, as its name would suggest, beneath the city streets of Rabanastre. Great pillars standing throughout Lowtown support the soaring edifices above. Prior to the war with Archadia, many merchants used Lowtown as a place to store foodstuffs and wares for sale. With the defeat and occupation by Archadia, many of the former residents of upper Rabanastre were relocated here, leading to its gradual transforming into a residential area. No natural light shines on Lowtown, save where there are passages to the streets above, making it perpetually gloomy. Many orphans from the war have adopted Lowtown as their new home."
- —Sage Knowledge 40
- "A short walk north from the center of Rabanastre will lead you to the gates of the royal palace. Before the war with Archadia, this magnificent structure was home to the Dalmascan royal family, and barracks to the order of knights that served them. It is currently employed as a living quarters and apartments by the recently appointed consul from Archadia. The palace itself was built several centuries ago and has since been home to many Dalmascan monarchs, King Raminas being the most recent. Numerous additions have been made to the palace over the course of its long history (the Royal City of Rabanastre having several times fallen under the control of foreign powers through invasion), but the overall bearing of its architecture is true to the original Galtean design. Within the palace are secret chambers containing documents and treasures belonging to the royal family. Few who live beyond the palace walls know how they may be found."
- —Sage Knowledge 41
- See also: Battle above Rabanastre.
Rabanastre is the capital of Kingdom of Dalmasca. Two years prior to the story of Final Fantasy XII the relationships between the competing empires of Archadia and Rozarria had grown strained and Archadia was expected to invade the small nations situated between the borders of the two superpowers. In order to strengthen the national security of both nations Princess Ashelia of Dalmasca was to marry Prince Rasler of Nabradia.
The wedding was held in Rabanastre with the prince and princess paraded through the city streets in front of cheering crowds. Soon after, Archadia invaded Nabradia and Prince Rasler joined the Battle of Nalbina Fortress where he was killed. As the Empire moved to assassinate the king of Dalmasca and take over the kingdom Ashe escaped from Rabanastre and went into hiding, and a word was spread that she had committed suicide.
After the Empire took over Dalmasca the life in Rabanastre greatly changed. Imperial soldiers took over the town and many of the old citizens were forced to move underground where they formed a shadow city, known as Lowtown. Vaan and his childhood friend Penelo grew up during these events and after Penelo's parents died in the invasion of Rabanastre, the two started to work for Migelo, who would look after them. The people of Rabanastre hated the Empire but were powerless to do anything about it.
The story opens two years after Dalmasca has been invaded by the Archadian Empire. Vaan spends his days in Rabanastre practicing his hunting skills, dreaming of becoming a sky pirate and stealing from the imperials. A new Consul, Vayne Carudas Solidor, arrives in Rabanastre to be appointed to rule over Dalmasca, and the Royal City of Rabanastre prepares for a grand fete to commemorate the event. Vayne holds a speech to the citizens of Rabanastre and even if the crowd shows their disdain at first, Vayne is able to make an impression on the citizens by praising the late king.
On the night of the fete, the Resistance storms the Royal Palace with Princess Ashe as part of the Resistance forces, but the Imperial fleet, expecting the attack, stifles the skirmish quickly. Ashe escapes the palace via an underground waterway, but is caught by Vayne and her accomplices are thrown into the Nalbina Dungeons. The days of the new Consul are short-lived, however, and Vayne is soon summoned back to Archades, where he goes on to conspire to become the new emperor.
As the war between the Resistance forces led by Marquis Ondore and the forces of Archadian Empire, led by Vayne, breaks out, Rabanastre becomes the battleground. Princess Ashe manages to defeat Vayne, but the Imperial flagship Sky Fortress Bahamut loses its power and is in danger of falling on the city of Rabanastre, obliterating it. Ashe's comrade, the sky pirate Balthier, manages to fix the Bahamut's glossair rings just in time, and Bahamut crash-lands outside of the city, becoming a notable landmark in the area.
Vayne defeated, Larsa Solidor becomes the new emperor of Archadia, and settles peace with Princess Ashe. Dalmasca regains its sovereignty, and Ashe becomes the queen, continuing to rule Dalmasca from the Royal Palace in Rabanastre. A year later, Penelo notes in a letter to Larsa that Rabanastre is finally back to the way it was, back when her parents were still alive.
After losing his new airship at the Glabados Ruins, Vaan returns to Rabanastre. One day a mysterious derelict arrives at the city outskirts and Vaan, Penelo, Kytes and Filo venture inside. The derelict turns out to be the airship Galbana which leads the group into the trip to Lemurés. During their adventures the group runs into Velis, a former member of the Order of the Knights of Dalmasca who once resided in Rabanastre.
After defeating Feolthanos in the Keep of Forgotten Time the sky continent falls to pieces and Galbana flies away to locations unknown. Vaan, Penelo, Kytes and Filo return to Rabanastre, but unwilling to go back to their usual routine Vaan and Penelo sneak out of town during night to set out to new adventures, but are caught by Filo and Kytes.
The City of Rabanastre has three gates which lead into the city. Eastgate to Estersand, West Gate (where the Aerodrome is also located) to Westersand, and Southgate to the Giza Plains. The gates are usually open, but during the new Consul's parade they were closed off. One can easily move between the gates via "Moogling".
Aerodrome is situated at the West Gate of Rabanastre. It has Skyferries leading to Nalbina Fortress, Skycity of Bhujerba and Imperial City of Archades. The party's airship, Strahl, is kept at the aerodrome as well when the player is in the town.
The Southern Plaza is in the cross-junction between the gates and is a popular hang-out spot. People like to come and sit around the fountain watching travelers pass through the gates. Cartographers moogle can be found in the Southern Plaza and during side quests many people of interest can be found around the fountain.
Clan Centurio HallEdit
Clan Centurio is a clan of hunters founded by Montblanc. Only members are allowed inside. Within the hall the clan members train their skills and find out about new rare hunts from Montblanc himself, who can always be found within the hall. As the party progresses clan ranks and further the storyline, clan members will change their mindset about Vaan, from a newcomer to a veteran.
The Muthru BazaarEdit
The Muthru Bazaar is the liveliest part of town with numerous vendors. The Clan Centurio shop can be found here, open only for members. At the end of the bazaar is a door, which leads to a resistance hideout.
Below Rabanastre lies a shadow city, the Lowtown. After the Empire took over the city many people were forced to move below the street-level and now Lowtown is as booming with activity as the upper town. Old Dalan has his house in Lowtown, and Vaan's friend Kytes can also often be found about. Lowtown has passage to the Garamsythe Waterway. Some rare equipment can be bought at Lowtown's South Sprawl after the events at Giruvegan.
Lowtown is the only area in Rabanastre where the player may find treasures. Unlike treasures in most other locations, Lowtown treasures are stored in urns covered in blue cloth. The treasure outside Old Dalan's house is a forbidden chest that, once claimed, prevents the player from obtaining the Zodiac Spear, the game's most powerful weapon, in Necrohol of Nabudis. This mechanic was removed in the Zodiac Job System version.
- Vaan, a local thief, and protagonist to Final Fantasy XII.
- Penelo, Vaan's childhood friend.
- Migelo, a local vendor, owns an item shop Migelo's Sundries.
- Montblanc, moogle who leads Clan Centurio.
- Old Dalan, wise old man living in the Lowtown, friend of Vaan's.
- Kytes, Vaan's friend. Also works for Migelo.
- Filo, Kytes's friend.
- Tomaj, owner of the local tavern, the Sandsea.
- Ktjn, viera by the Muthru Bazaar (sidequest).
- Krjn, Ktjn's sister, member of Clan Centurio.
- Weather Eye, seeq at Southgate who knows when the weather at Giza Plains will change.
Moogling City TeleportsEdit
- Main article: Moogling
In the city, there are five moogles that will warp the party to certain locations within city borders. It's free and a way to get around easily. It becomes available after Vaan escapes from the Barheim Passage.
The five Moogling locations are:
- Muthru Bazaar
- The Sandsea (just outside it)
- Main article: Ktjn
Ktjn is a viera found sitting on the steps leading to Muthru Bazaar after the events in the Barheim Passage. She asks the party questions and depending on the given answers she will decide what to do with her life and depending on her choice, will reward the party with items.
The quest becomes available after talking with the Garif Elder in Jahara. Wandering Viera can be spotted in Rabanastre's Southgate who'll mention she's looking for a lover. Vaan must follow her and talk to the Lovestruck Man by the fountain, then go to Yamoora's Gambits and talk to the viera again.
Afterward she can be found in the Sandsea's upper level. She asks for Vaan's help and it is possible to pair the viera with either the Lovestruck Man or with Lord Vain in the Yamoora's Gambits to get a Loxley Bow. However, if the player chooses the Lovestruck Man they will also get two Hi-Potions, making it the better option.
- Main article: Chaos (Final Fantasy XII)
After the events in Mt. Bur-Omisace the player can visit Old Dalan to find a Nu Mou who is looking for a medallion. The player can then help him by finding the different medallion fragments from around the city.
Great Cockatrice Escape SidequestEdit
A cockatrice that has escaped from Giza Plains called Renn is found at Rabanastre's North End after the events in Draklor Laboratory, but will run away and the player must catch him. The player can hide by the pillars next to the shops and wait for him to walk past. The player can try to catch up with him when he is turning a corner, or approach him slowly as he goes past and choose: "Erm... no?". In addition, Chit must have returned to Giza before Renn will. After catching him, Renn will give the player the Diamond Sword.
After two main storyline missions, Rabanastre can never be visited by the party again.
Mission 03: Eve of AdventureEdit
- "Treasure is all well and good for sky pirates, but it means little enough without an airship. And so Vaan and Penelo resume life as usual... until the unusual happens."
- —In-game description
Vaan, Filo, and Kytes make a midnight run for the derelict. While passing through the square, they encounter several strange monsters, the Yarhi. This mission serves as an explanation of the Melee-Ranged-Flying unit type relationship.
Mission 04: The Coveted DerelictEdit
- "A derelict airship lands outside the gates of Rabanastre - a temptation no self-respecting sky pirate can resist. After a brief skirmish at the city's edge, Vaan plots a way past the watch."
- —In-game description
At the Rabanastre Southgate, the trio catches sight of the derelict and must cross a small section of plains to reach it. This mission serves as a lesson in using abilities and Gambits.
- White Hare X2
If the player completes all missions they will fight the final boss at level 99 and get an extra scene to the ending where Vaan and Penelo sneak out of Rabanastre together, suggesting a romantic connection between the two.
Note: The items available for purchase change throughout the game. These items may not all be available at the same time.
The items sold at the Clan Centurio's Clan Provisioner depend on the Clan Rank the party has reached. The minimum required rank displayed in parenthesis.
Lowtown, North SprawlEdit
Lowtown, South SprawlEdit
|"The Royal City of Rabanastre" from Final Fantasy XII|
|Trouble with the audio sample?|
Unlike other locations, the city of Rabanastre has two different musical themes. On the main upper city, the song "The Royal City of Rabanastre" (王都のロイヤルシティ, Ōto no Roiyaru Shiti?) (also known as "City Ward Upper Level") plays. Within the city's Lowtown plays "Rabanastre Downtown" (王都のダウンタウン, Ōto no Dauntaun?). Both Rabanastre themes have piano arrangements on the Piano Collections: Final Fantasy XII album.
|Final Fantasy XII|
|Vaan - Penelo - Balthier - Fran - Basch fon Ronsenburg - Ashelia B'nargin Dalmasca|
|Temporary playable characters|
|Larsa Ferrinas Solidor - Vossler York Azelas - Reddas|
|Al-Cid Margrace - Anastasis - Argas - Ba'Gamnan - Cidolfus Demen Bunansa - Daguza - Old Dalan - Dyce - Elza - Filo - Gerun - Gibbs and Deweg - Gramis Gana Solidor - Forz - Gregoroth - Gurdy - Havharo - Horne - Hurdy - Jote - Jovy - Jules - July - Kytes - Halim Ondore IV - Migelo - Mjrn - Monid - Montblanc - The Moogles Eight - Nono - Pilika - Raithwall - Raminas B'nargin Dalmasca - Rasler Heios Nabradia - Raz - Rikken - Sorbet - Supinelu - Tomaj - Uball-Ka - Vayne Carudas Solidor - Venat - Weather Eye|
|Gabranth - Drace - Ghis - Bergan - Zargabaath|
|Nations and Locations in Ivalice|
|Archadian Empire - Kingdom of Dalmasca - Republic of Landis - Kingdom of Nabradia - Rozarrian Empire|
|Bancour - Jagd Difohr - Jagd Naldoa - Jagd Ramooda - Jagd Yensa - Purvama|
|Nalbina Fortress - Garamsythe Waterway - Royal City of Rabanastre - Dalmasca Estersand - Giza Plains - Royal Palace of Rabanastre - Nalbina Dungeons - Barheim Passage - Skycity of Bhujerba - Lhusu Mines - Dreadnought Leviathan - Dalmasca Westersand - Ogir-Yensa Sandsea - Nam-Yensa Sandsea - Tomb of Raithwall - Ozmone Plain - Jahara - Golmore Jungle - Eruyt Village - Henne Mines - Paramina Rift - Mt. Bur-Omisace - Stilshrine of Miriam - Mosphoran Highwaste - Salikawood - Phon Coast - Tchita Uplands - Sochen Cave Palace - Imperial City of Archades - Draklor Laboratory - Port at Balfonheim - Cerobi Steppe - Feywood - Ancient City of Giruvegan - Great Crystal - Ridorana Cataract - Pharos at Ridorana - Sky Fortress Bahamut - Zertinan Caverns - Nabreus Deadlands - Necrohol of Nabudis - Subterra|
|Baknamy - Bangaa - Garif - Helgas - Hume - Moogle - Nu Mou - Occuria - Rev - Seeq - Urutan-Yensa - Viera|
|Airship - Cartographers' Guild - Clan Centurio - Dynast King - Esper - Fishing - Galtean Alliance - Genus - House Solidor - Hunt - Imperial Senate - Kiltia - Knockback - Magicite - Magick - Mist - Moogling - Neo-Rozarria Faction - Nethicite - Order of the Knights of Dalmasca - Paling - Rare Game - The Resistance - Sage Knowledge - Scion - Skyferry - Sky Pirate - Sun-Cryst - Trial Mode - Zodiac Job System|
|Bazaar - Chain - Charge Time - Critical Hit - Effect Capacity - Elemental Affinity - Gambits - Hit - Jobs - License Board - Loot - Mist (Command) - Quickening - Spawning Enemies - Technicks - Treasure - Weather|
|Immobilize Glitch - Zone Out Glitch - Dead Character Glitch - Phoenix Down Glitch - Self-revival Glitch|
|Original Soundtrack - Kiss Me Good-Bye - Selections from Final Fantasy XII Original Soundtrack - Piano Collections - Symphonic Poem "Hope"|
|"Opening Movie [FFXII Theme]" - "Boss Battle" - "The Dalmasca Estersand" - "Giza Plains" - "The Archadian Empire" - "Struggle for Freedom" - "Battle on the Big Bridge [FFXII Version] - "Kiss Me Good-Bye"|
|Abilities - Accessories - Ammunition - Armor - Allusions - Augments - Bestiary - Elements - Enemies - Enemy Abilities - Insights - Items - Key Items - Magick - Menu - Statuses - Translations - Walkthrough - Wallpapers - Weapons|
|Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings|
|Vaan - Penelo - Kytes - Filo - Llyud - Fran - Balthier - Ashelia B'nargin Dalmasca - Basch fon Ronsenburg|
|Temporary playable characters|
|Bwagi - Cu Sith - Elza - Feolthanos - Gijuk - Mydia - Larsa Ferrinas Solidor - Namingway - Nono - Tomaj - Raz - Rikken - Rinok - Velis|
|Zephyr, the Windward Isles|
|Dalmasca Estersand - Giza Plains - Paramina Rift - Rabanastre - Feol Warren - Glabados Ruins|
|Keep of Forgotten Time|
|Gates of Shattered Time - Keep of Forgotten Time - Midlight's Deep - Well of Whispered Oaths - Womb of Feolthanos|
|Aegyl - Bangaa - Hume - Moogle - Seeq - Viera|
|Affinity - Anastasia - Anima - Auracite - Auralith - The Canon - Dreadnought Leviathan - Esper Troupe - Eternity's March - Foraging - Galbana - Group - Group Leader - Logbook - Recipe Book - Ring of Pacts - Scavenging - Soul Crystal - Summoning Gate - Yarhi|
|"The Battle for Freedom"|
|Accessories - Armor - Abilities - Elements - Enemies - Enemy Abilities - Menu - Missions - Sky Saloon - Spells - Statuses - Translations - Wallpapers - Weapons|