|Balthier: I'm afraid the jury's still out on that one.||This article is about a character from a game that's still to be released. As such, some of the information might be inaccurate or likely to change. Please look over our policy for updating articles covering upcoming games before editing this page.|
Take heed. Never bow out of what you begin. So long as you carry the blood royal, so long as you carry my name...carry your head high.
- —Regis to Noctis in the ending audio of Final Fantasy XV Episode Duscae
As a member of the Caelum family, Regis believes that being of the royal bloodline makes one strong of heart and will. As shown in the E3 2013 trailer, Regis can also be a laid back person, as he ate green soup and showed his green tongue to make his young son laugh. In the newest trailer taking fifteen years before the game's events, though knowing he needed to prepare Noctis once he comes of age, Regis expresses a profound sadness for the fate his son must endure.
In his youth he fought beside Cid and General Cor Leonis. Regis is around 50 years old, but has aged well beyond that due to maintaining the magic barrier around Lucis. The rapid aging is the fate of the king, and because Noctis could also meet this fate if he inherits the throne, Regis is torn on whether or not he should let Noctis become the next king.
When a king of Lucis dies, their wisdom gets passed to the next generation and thus the royal line lives on. Regis possess a valuable ring that contains both the wisdom and power of the previous king of Lucis. Regis is able to summon swords to his side, the summoned swords also inherited from each previous king.
Niflheim's army seeks to conquer Lucis, take its crystal, and end the reign of the Caelum family. Regis is reported dead in the invasion, but his actual status remains unknown.
Creation and developmentEdit
In the Final Fantasy Versus XIII trailer revealed at the "Square Enix 1st Production Department Premiere" in January 2011, Regis is sitting on his throne, pondering and talking to himself. He is also seen facing off against Idola Aldercapt. Regis wields a falchion with an engine attached to its hilt and has the power to manipulate weapons, sending a horde to point towards Idola.
Regis went through a redesign since he was first unveiled for Final Fantasy Versus XIII, a game that was eventually reworked into Final Fantasy XV. He has been made older, with graying shaggier hair and a beard, as opposed to his more refined look in earlier material. Director Hajime Tabata has said there is "one good reason" for the change but that it would be a spoiler. He elaborated that the issue wasn't the old design not suiting the game. At Tokyo Game Show in September 2015 it was revealed maintaining the shield that protects Lucis ages Regis.
The player party's car, Regalia, is Regis's car and represents the party traveling with him. How the bond between Noctis and his father and the focus on the car is going to be represented in the story was personally important to Tabata. He explained that in Japan kids are proud of their father's car, it being a big thing to go on a ride and to get the car's functionalities explained by one's father. He described this as a wonderful experience from his childhood that he wanted to present within the game.
Caelum is a Latin word meaning "sky".
Regis Lucis Caelum is a Latin phrase that may mean "Sky of the King's Light" or "Sky of the Light's King". Regis and Noctis's naming follows thus a similar theme pertaining light and sky.
- A point of clarification concerns a sequence where Regis is seated on his throne early in a trailer (before the gameplay begins) and says something along the lines of "You're not fit to be king". While many assumed this statement was directed at Noctis, it is actually directed at someone else.
- Regis is director Hajime Tabata's favorite character from the game.
- Due to the Kingdom of Lucis being that of a mafia like monarchy and his appearance, he is casually referred to as "Hans Gruber" by fans due to similarities to the antagonist of the action movie Die Hard.
- ↑ http://www.finalfantasy.net/xv/characters-final-fantasy-xv/
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Luna shows up as a guest party member in Final Fantasy XV (Accessed: November 27, 2015) at Nova Crystallis
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Final Fantasy Wiki (Accessed: November 27, 2015) at Spieletester
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ Final Fantasy Wiki (Accessed: November 27, 2015) at Nova Crystallis
- ↑ Tabata Teases That Final Fantasy XV Will Reflect Gaming's Move Online (Accessed: November 27, 2015) at Game Informer