The Red Mage is a well-rounded spell caster whose repertoire can include a balance of both black and white magic.
The Red Mage is a character class from the original Final Fantasy who can be selected as a member of the Warriors of Light at the game's start. This class can use both Black and White Magic, as well as wield many different weapons and pieces of armor.
True to his name, the Red Mage is clothed in red. Being unable to wield or use the highest level magic or equipment, he is generally relegated to a support position; a jack of all trades, but a master of none.
In the Final Fantasy manga, the Red Mage's name is Puffy (パフィ, Pafi?). An original character who does not appear in the game, she is the main protagonist and meets DB-6 in the back of the cave of Onrac near waterfall. She is a member of the Warriors of Light (together with Fritz, Matoya and Bahamut) and helps to restore the power of the Crystals.
After an event in which the party must retrieve a Rat Tail from the Citadel of Trials and return it to Bahamut, the Red Mage is upgraded to the Red Wizard (あかまどうし, Akamadōshi?). This class can wield slightly more equipment and learn magic up to level seven, and receives a new physical appearance, which is similar to the old appearance.
The names for the Red Mage class are:
- Duane - Character in Final Fantasy VI.
- Elayne - Character in Final Fantasy VI.
- Gill - Character in Final Fantasy V.
- KluYa - Character in Final Fantasy IV.
- Kory - Character in Final Fantasy IV.
- Lalibo - Character in Final Fantasy V.
- Lola - Character in Final Fantasy VI.
- Mid - Character in Final Fantasy V.
- Tot - Character in Final Fantasy IX.
- Yura - Character in Final Fantasy VI.
In the Final Fantasy 20th Anniversary and subsequent versions, one name is altered, to one of ambiguous origin:
- Tomok - Replaces Lalibo.
The Red Mage appears on a Triple Triad card in the version playable via Final Fantasy Portal App.