Ravager is a Paradigm role in Final Fantasy XIII. Its main function is to increase the foe's chain gauge so that inflicted damage is increased. The role is symbolized by the initials RAV and the color Blue.
Computer-controlled Ravagers tend to attack the same target as the player. If the player controls a Ravager and there are computer controlled Commando(s), usually one Commando will attack the player's target. Merely being in the Ravager role boost the person's chain gauge bonus. The benefits also extend to other party members to a lesser degree. The amount of bonus depends on the Ravager's role level. This bonus applies to all skills that can increase the Chain Gauge and is cumulative with the bonus from other Ravagers. However, without support attack from the other roles, the target's chain gauge will restore too quickly to effectively fill it.
The Ravager's command abilities primarily consist of offensive elemental spells, granting them the stereotype of being magical attackers, similar to Black Mages. Some Ravagers can also learn elemental physical attacks ("strikes"), similar to a weaker version of Mystic Knight. While elemental spells of fire, ice, lightning, water and air are all present in their traditional three-tiers (normal, -"ra", -"ga"), the Ravager is notably unable to deal earth-elemental damage. Instead, Quake is a Technique.
- See also: Commando (Final Fantasy XIII), Sentinel (Final Fantasy XIII), Synergist (Final Fantasy XIII), Saboteur (Final Fantasy XIII), and Medic (Final Fantasy XIII).
- See also: Ravager (Final Fantasy XIII-2).
The Crystarium Levels when each character can advance in role level.
The Ravager's role bonus adds a fixed value to the base amount each and every skill increases the chain gauge, and the bonus extends to other party members. If the party has more than one Ravager the Ravagers get both their personal bonus for being a Ravager, plus the party Ravager bonuses from the other Ravager(s). The role bonus is not contributed if the party member is incapacitated, and during summoning an Eidolon, only the party leader's role bonuses count.
|Vigor||When attacking with the Ravager's HP above 70% full, gain increased chain bonus.||8||-||8||-||8||10|
|Overwhelm||The more allies target the same foe, Ravager's attacks gain increased chain bonus.||4||2||6||4||6||9|
|Fearsiphon||When attacking a staggered foe, recover 10% of an ATB slot.||7||8||8||8||3||10|
|Fire||1||1.0||Fire-elemental magical attack against target foe.||3||1||-||2||1||7|
|Fira||2||1.5||Fire-elemental magical attack against target and nearby foes. If target is Staggered, effectiveness increases.||8||6||-||4||3||7|
|Firaga||3||2.2||Fire-elemental magical attack against large area of foes.||-||8||-||8||8||-|
|Blizzard||1||1.0||Ice-elemental magical attack against target foe.||5||-||1||6||1||7|
|Blizzara||2||1.5||Ice-elemental magical attack against target and nearby foes. If target is Staggered, effectiveness increases.||8||-||7||6||6||7|
|Blizzaga||3||2.2||Ice-elemental magical attack against large area of foes.||-||-||9||8||8||-|
|Thunder||1||1.0||Lightning-elemental magical attack against target foe.||1||4||-||4||3||7|
|Thundara||2||1.5||Lightning-elemental magical attack against target and nearby foes. If target is Staggered, effectiveness increases.||5||7||-||7||4||7|
|Thundaga||3||2.2||Lightning-elemental magical attack against large area of foes.||9||8||-||-||8||-|
|Water||1||1.0||Water-elemental magical attack against target foe.||1||-||5||1||3||7|
|Watera||2||1.5||Water-elemental magical attack against target and nearby foes. If target is Staggered, effectiveness increases.||6||-||8||6||4||7|
|Waterga||3||2.2||Water-elemental magical attack against large area of foes.||-||-||9||-||8||10|
|Aero||1||1.0||Wind-elemental magical attack against target foe. Stops foe movement briefly.||6||1||6||1||2||7|
|Aerora||3||2.2||Wind-elemental magical attack against target and nearby foes. Staggered foes get lifted up in the air.||8||5||8||4||7||8|
|Aeroga||5||3.6||Wind-elemental magical attack against large area of foes. Foes get hit in the air.||-||8||-||-||8||9|
|Flamestrike||1||1.2||Fire-elemental physical attack against target foe.||8||1||-||-||-||7|
|Froststrike||1||1.2||Ice-elemental physical attack against target foe.||8||-||1||-||-||7|
|Sparkstrike||1||1.2||Lightning-elemental physical attack against target foe.||2||6||-||-||-||7|
|Aquastrike||1||1.2||Water-elemental physical attack against target foe.||2||-||5||-||-||7|
|Army of One||All||0.3×11||Non-elemental combo physical attack. Conditionally affects chain efficiency. (Exclusive to Lightning.)||9||-||-||-||-||-|
|Cold Blood||All||0.1×17||Non-elemental combo physical attack. Conditionally affects chain efficiency. (Exclusive to Sazh.)||-||9||-||-||-||-|
|Last Resort||All||0.5×8||Large area non-elemental magical multi-attack. Conditionally affects chain efficiency. (Exclusive to Hope.)||-||-||-||-||9||-|
- The computer-controlled Ravager chooses commands best suited for raising chain gauge, rather than which commands deal the most damage.
- Unless the Ravager is the only offensive role in the currently chosen paradigm, the computer-controlled Ravager will always choose the same target as the other characters, and will continue to attack that target until it is defeated, or until the other characters change their target.
- The computer-controlled Ravager always attacks the Commando's target. If there is no Commando in the current Paradigm, the Ravager will attack the leader's target. If the leader is not targeting an enemy, the computer-controlled Ravager will aim for the same target as another Ravager. If there is no other Ravager the computer-controlled Ravager will auto-target.
- The computer-controlled Ravager only attacks when their ATB gauge is completely filled.
- The computer-controlled Ravager assesses the known strengths and weaknesses of the target's elemental, physical and magic affinities, what Statuss they are under, and how many other enemies there are nearby, when choosing their commands.
- Unlike the Commando, Ravagers have no preferences when choosing between physical and magic abilities. If the target is under Deprotect, Shell, weak against physical attacks, or strong against magic attacks, Ravagers will only choose strike abilities, such as Flamestrike. If the target is under Deshell, Protect, weak against magic attacks or strong against physical attacks, Ravagers will only choose magic spells such as Fire.
- If the target's notes section flag up any elemental weaknesses, the Ravager always chooses abilities geared towards that element, even if they have other elemental weaknesses. If the target's Notes section do not flag up any weaknesses, the Ravager will instead choose elements that the target is weakest against, based on the target's vulnerabilities section. Elements under "Weakness" are given the highest priority, followed by "Normal", "Halved", "Resistant" and "Immune", in that order. If the target absorbs all elements the Ravager can utilize, the Ravager will not attack that target.
- If the target's elemental, physical or magic affinities are not currently known, the Ravager will choose abilities at random until more information is obtained.
- If a few enemies are grouped together, the Ravager will use second-tier "-ra" spells. When battling against several enemies, the Ravager will use third-tier "-ga" spells.
- When a target is staggered, the Ravager will use second-tier "-ra" spells, as well as Wind-elemental spells such as Aero to attempt to launch the target in the air, even if the target isn't weak against Wind.
- Computer-controlled Ravagers will never choose Full ATB Skills.
Names in Other LanguagesEdit
- Spanish: Fulminador - Blaster / Striker
- Italian: Occultista - Occultist
- French: Ravageur - Ravager
- German: Verheerer - Devastator
- Chinese: 破壞者, Pohuaizhe - Destroyer
- Wind-elemental spells (except Aeroga) are the only spells that all playable characters can learn.
- Aerora and Aeroga are the only abilities that have an increased cost on their respective levels: Aerora costs 3 ATB bars where normal -ra spells only cost 2; Aeroga costs 5 ATB bars where normal -ga spells only cost 3.
- Aeroga is the only ability in the entire game to cost 5 ATB bars, excluding the special moves each character learn when they have 5 ATB bars.
|Final Fantasy XIII Abilities|
|Powerchain - Lifesiphon - Faultsiphon - Launch - Ravage - Smite - Blindside - Scourge - Jeopardize - Deathblow - Adrenaline|
|Attack - Blitz - Ruin - Ruinga - Highwind - Sovereign Fist|
|Vigor - Overwhelm - Fearsiphon|
|Fire - Fira - Firaga - Blizzard - Blizzara - Blizzaga - Thunder - Thundara - Thundaga - Water - Watera - Waterga - Aero - Aerora - Aeroga - Flamestrike - Froststrike - Sparkstrike - Aquastrike - Army of One - Cold Blood - Last Resort|
|Evade - Counter - Deathward - Fringeward - Reprieve|
|Provoke - Elude - Challenge - Vendetta - Entrench - Steelguard - Mediguard|
|Deprotect - Deprotega - Deshell - Deshellga - Poison - Poisonga - Imperil - Imperilga - Slow- Slowga - Fog - Fogga - Pain - Painga - Curse - Cursega - Daze - Dazega - Dispel - Death|
|Bravery - Bravera - Faith - Faithra - Haste - Vigilance - Enfire - Enfrost- Enthunder - Enwater - Protect - Protectra - Shell - Shellra - Barfire - Barfrost - Barthunder - Barwater - Veil|
|Cure - Cura - Curasa - Curaja - Esuna - Raise|
|Summon - Libra - Renew - Quake - Dispelga - Stopga|
|High HP - Low HP - Physical Defense - Magic Defense - Damage Reduction - Ultimate Physic - Ultimate Magic - Fire Resistance - Ice Resistance - Lightning Resistance - Water Resistance - Wind Resistance - Earth Resistance - Debrave Resistance - Defaith Resistance - Deprotect Resistance - Deshell Resistance - Slow Resistance - Poison Resistance - Imperil Resistance - Curse Resistance - Pain Resistance - Fog Resistance - Daze Resistance - Boost - Gestalt - Positive Effect - Adamancy - Independent|
|Eidolons: Normal Mode|
|Common Abilities: Arise - Penetration - ATB Charge|
|Shiva: Wheel Rap - Flip Kick - Wheel Grind - Wheel Toss - Pirouette|
|Odin: Flourish of Steel - Skyward Swing - Seismic Strike - Crushing Blow - Ullr's Shield - Valhalla's Call|
|Brynhildr: Slash - Valkyrian Scythe - Gunshot - Pyroshot - Cryoshot - Electroshot - Hydroshot - Pyroburst - Electroburst - Hydroburst|
|Bahamut: Dragon Claws - Whirlwind - Umbral Vise - Inferno - Ignis|
|Alexander: Steelcrusher - Obliterator - Soaring Uppercut - Blast Punch - Explosive Fist - Lofty Challenge|
|Hecatoncheir: Pummel - Aerial Tackle - Hurricane Kick - Force Projection - Counter - Looming Wrath|
|Eidolons: Gestalt Mode|
|Shiva: Wheelie - Spinfreeze - Icicle Drift - Ice Ramp - Diamond Dust|
|Odin: Stormblade - Lightning Strike - Razor Gale - Thunderfall - Zantetsuken|
|Brynhildr: Chopper Spin - Caltrop Bomb - Centrifugal Sweep - Spark Shower - Múspell Flame|
|Bahamut: Hunting Dive - Aerial Loop - Obliterating Breath - Pulsar Burst - Megaflare|
|Alexander: Purification - Earthquake - Brutal Sanction - Retributive Blast - Divine Judgment|
|Hecatoncheir: Chain Cannons - Missile Tetrad - Piercing Ray - Force Blasters - Gaian Salvo|