- “A mysterious item. A stolen item, supposedly... "I almost ate this thing when I first found it. I thought it was a snack. Gwahahahaha!"”
- —Description, Final Fantasy IX.
- “A token of valor and strength.”
The Rat Tail can be found in the Feymarch, and if given to a collector of tails inside the Adamant Isle Grotto, the player will get Adamantite in exchange, which in turn can be given to Kokkol, the dwarven smith, to forge the sword Excalibur.
The Rat Tail can be won at the Treno Auction House and then sold to the Adventurer at the cafe for much more money. Successfully selling the Rat Tail and several other artifacts will enable better items, such as the Magical Fingertip, to be available in the Auction.
- “A common alchemical ingredient. Rumored to be quite tasty when properly prepared.”
Rat's Tail is not an item in Final Fantasy XIII-2, but it is mentioned in one of the possible questions in Captain Cryptic's Confounding Quiz: The kids of New Bodhum love dares. One popular dare requires going into the woods late at night to retrieve an object. What is the item? The answer is Rat's tail.
The Rat Tail is a Fishing Tackle item, which can be equipped by Fishers that are level 15 or above. It is used as bait to catch fish found in oceans.
- “Long used among sorcerers as a magickal reagent, this exquisite delicacy was once the catalyst for a full-scale war. It has an extremely potent flavor.”
- “Lucky tail of a desert rat.”
- “The long tail of a desert rat. Thought to bring good luck, provided one isn't a rat.”