These roles we play. I must admit I find it... wearying.
Rasler is a young man with short, light blond hair and gray eyes. He wears a white suit of armor with gold detailing, including a chest-plate, buckled boots and a neck piece. It includes a royal blue drape at the waist with fleur-de-lis details and a tasseled finish, and he keeps his sword in a scabbard on his hip. Rasler's final design remains virtually unchanged from early concept artwork.
Rasler is patriotic and passionate and would lay his life on the line for Nabradia. He has an unwavering—though perhaps unfounded—sense of hope that the situation can be rectified even at the worst of stages.
Reading the EnemyEdit
In the year 704 Old Valendia, the Kingdom of Nabradia and its neighboring kingdom, Dalmasca, sat amid the political tension between the Archadian Empire of the north and the Rozarrian Empire of the south. Fearing impending conflict, Rasler's father and King Raminas B'nargin Dalmasca arranged a marriage between their children to secure political allegiance and solidarity. The arrangement sparked controversy in both kingdoms, spurning the Neo-Rozarria Faction, which Rasler was all too aware of.
As told in the manga version, Rasler traveled to the Royal Palace of Rabanastre alongside his army's general, Sir Forz, where—to the surprise of attendees—he claimed he could not marry Princess Ashelia. Rasler knew of the Neo-Rozarria movement's intentions and hoped that in refusing the marriage he would allow the Order of the Knights of Dalmasca and his own forces to seek out the underground faction before they had a chance to assassinate either Princess Ashe or her father. Ashe thought Rasler had rejected her and stormed away, embarrassed, into the arms of Marchioness Argas.
That night Rasler and Forz reconvened in the courtyard to discuss the plans of their stay. Unbeknown to both Ashe overheard the conversation and followed Forz into a closed-off area of the palace, to the location of a Neo-Rozarria meeting, where she heard of their plan to assassinate King Raminas in his bed chambers. Ashe assumed Rasler headed the conspiracy due to Forz's actions. Shocked, she fell and knocked over some boxes drawing the attention of the faction members. Before they could find her, Rasler grabbed Ashe and hid her behind a pillar until they retreated. Ashe jumped from his grip, disgusted at his duplicity, and lost her footing and fell through a weak flooring. Rasler jumped after her down into the Garamsythe Waterway.
Ashe tended to Rasler's wound after learning he was not a member of the rebellion. Since his wound smarted Ashe took Rasler's sword and led them out of the Waterways back to the palace in time to intervene the faction's assassination attempt. The leader of the Neo-Rozarria movement was Argas much to Ashe's despair, but their plan was foiled by the Order of the Knights of Dalmasca led by captain Basch fon Ronsenburg.
When Ashe realized Sir Forz was Rasler's spy placed within the faction and the Order knew of the plan she was embarrassed to have been left in the dark. Rasler revealed the passion and strength she had shown that night had affirmed his love for her. The marriage ceremony was slightly delayed but arranged nonetheless.
Despite their marriage being arranged for political reasons the two came to love each other. The ceremony was a grand occasion throughout the Royal City of Rabanastre proceeding from a lavish city parade to the cathedral. Their marital bliss was short-lived, as Archadia attacked Nabradia and Rasler left his new bride to stand alongside King Raminas in Dalmasca's strategy planning.
The council of war meeting was interrupted by Captain Ronsenburg bringing news of the destruction of Nabudis, the capital of Nabradia. Rasler asked for news of his father, but Basch did not know. An adviser worried that with Nabudis fallen it was only a matter of time before the Archadian forces reached Dalmasca's borders. Raminas ordered Basch to secure Nalbina Fortress with haste and insisted to accompany Basch and the Order for the sake of his homeland. After Raminas implored Galtea to watch over Rasler the Dalmascan forces marched eastward.
During the battle Basch tried to escort Rasler to safety, but he would not be moved as long as hope remained. When Imperial troops slaughtered the high priests the light of the city's paling was extinguished and Rasler charged the enemy. Seated on his chocobo he targeted by an Archadian archer who pierced his neck with an arrow. Basch caught the prince as he fell and signaled a retreat, but Rasler died before reaching Rabanastre, leaving the Midlight Shard of Nabudis heirless. His funeral was held in Rabanastre cathedral, overseen by his widow in mourning gown.
The manga adaptation gives more details with Rasler promising to return to Ashe safely before leaving with Basch. During the battle of Nalbina Fortress he faced Judge Magister Bergan after the Imperial insulted his dead father distracting him from protecting the paling. After being fatally shot by the arrow, Rasler died with his last thoughts on Ashe.
After she joins Vaan and the others in trying to reclaim the throne of Dalmasca, Ashe believes Rasler's spirit is guiding her to defeat the Archadian Empire. Whenever Ashe gains an ancient relic of the Dynast King, she sees an apparition of Rasler, encouraging her. In Feywood Rasler's apparition quells a storm of Mist, allowing Ashe approach the Giruvegan, an ancient city where knowledge is nethicite is said to come from. After learning that the Occuria have chosen her as their new Dynast King, Ashe realizes the Rasler she is seeing is an illusion; the Rasler she knew and loved would never have wished for her to partake in base revenge. Atop the Pharos she lashes out at the "spirit," knowing it to be an Occurian illusion sent to manipulate her, and the spirit dissipates into Mist.
Creation and developmentEdit
In the Japanese version, he is voiced by Yasyuki Kase.
In the English version, he is voiced by Andrew Philpot.
|"The Princess' Vision" from Final Fantasy XII|
|Trouble with the audio sample?|
When Ashe witnesses a vision of Rasler's "ghost" the theme "The Princess' Vision" (王女の幻影, Ōjo no Gen'ei?) plays.
Rasler and Ashe appear in backstory of the Return to Ivalice arc. Instead of husband and wife, they are twins who were killed in the Garlean invasion 30 years ago. He was the commander of the Dalmascan forces in the Nalbina Fortress, facing the Garlean Empire's forces. Before dying, Rasler entrusted his sister's safety to Ba'Gamnan, a fusileer in the Dalmascan Army, and entrusted him with an auracite necklace as well. His death signified the loss of the Fortress, heralding the fall of Dalmasca shortly after, which was completed with Ashe's death some time after they left the battlefield.
To have been able to come this far was all thanks to you. Thank you.
Rasler is a character and summonable vision. His job is listed as Prince.
Rasler's Trust Master reward is the Patriotic Recall special ability.
- 4★ - No. 0535: "The prince of Nabradia who appears in tales of Ivalice, a world foreign to this one. The kingdom of Nabradia boasts of exuberant nature and bountiful resources, but it is still subject to the pressure and threats of larger sovereign states. Despite this, Rasler marries Ashe, the princess of Dalmasca, in a grand and elaborate ceremony that engulfs their nations in joyous celebration. Unfortunately, the festivities are cut short when the Archadian Empire attacks Nabudis, the capital of Nabradia."
- 5★ - No. 0536: "The prince of Nabradia who appears in tales of Ivalice, a world foreign to this one. Rasler marries Ashe to reinforce the alliance between his Kingdom of Nabradia and her Kingdom of Dalmasca, but his home suffers a devastating attack by the powerful Archadian Empire that seeks to take control over Ivalice. Following the destruction of the capital, Rasler heads to the battlefield to avenge the death of his father, the king of Nabradia."
- 6★ - No. 0537: "The prince of Nabradia who appears in tales of Ivalice, a world foreign to this one. After marrying Princess Ashe to strengthen the alliance between Nabradia and Dalmasca, Rasler's home suffers a devastating attack by the Archadian Empire. This leads him to make his way towards Nalbina Fortress with Basch, captain of the Dalmascan forces, to defend Dalmasca against any upcoming attacks. Sadly, although he fought bravely against the empire, an enemy arrow would ultimately take his life at the tender age of eighteen."
- —Entries for different versions of Rasler.
Rasler's stats at his highest levels are as follows (with no passive abilities taken into account), along with the maximum amount of stat points that can be increased through pot-enhancements:
|All Resist Light||60|
|Heir to the Throne*Passive||1|
Rasler can equip the following weapons: daggers, swords and great swords.
He can equip the following armors: light shields, heavy shields, helms, light armors and heavy armors.
He can equip accessories.
- Limit Bursts
- Awakening Materials
|Quality Parts x25|
Hard Rock x13
Sacred Crystal x15
Fury Seed x8
Holy Crystal x8
|Calamity Gem x20|
Calamity Writ x10
Prismatic Horn x10
Rainbow Bloom x5
Divine Crystal x5
|4★||Wh-where in... What happened to Nabudis?||With power like this, I wonder if I could've protected Nabradia back then?||—|
|5★||I was summoned here? I wonder if I'm still capable of anything in this form?||I know it's the duty of the royal family, but it still doesn't make this any less tiring.||Just because I'm of the royal family, doesn't mean I'm just looking to be protected.|
|6★||A fight for country, and the world, eh? I will go with you, then!||I wonder how she's doing? As long as she's not pushing herself too hard...||Not yet! I'm not giving up just yet!|
Rasler appears on a card.
Users in Square Enix Members Virtual World community can make their character appear as Rasler. Rasler's hair costs 100 crystals and his clothes cost 500 crystals.
- Rasler's sprite is unlocked in the Sky Pirate's Den after completing every character's License Board, including Espers, earning the player the title of Conqueror.
- Rasler may be named after Prince Ralse, a character from The Dream Oath of Final Fantasy VI who was the prince of the eastern lands. Similarly, Nabradia is in eastern Ivalice.
- Though he is not a playable character he is the first character to appear in the opening credits.
- There is a dummied weapon called the Hero's Blade, which may be Rasler's sword. It appears in Ashe's promotional poster as the sword she is wielding, and in the in-game cutscene where King Raminas gives the sword to Rasler.