|White Mage: Life's refreshing breeze, blow in energy! Cure!|
|This article can be improved in areas such as grammar, style, formatting, and spelling.|
Please refer to the Manual of Style or Editing Help to get started.
- "These wandering performers entertain crowds and confound their enemies with a customizable puppet known as an "automaton." Puppetmasters can also fall back on hand-to-hand fighting skills that utilize the flexible movements of their art."
- —Official Description
- See also: Puppetmaster.
Puppetmasters are a playable advanced job in Final Fantasy XI since the addition of Treasures of Aht Urhgan expansion. Entertainers from the Near East in Vana'diel, they use their puppets to entertain audiences, but they are also effective in combat. Puppetmasters are adept with hand-to-hand combat, but their specialty is activating an automaton to assist them in combat. Unlike other summons, the puppet can be equipped with different heads or chassis, as well as customized using over a dozen attachments.
Puppetmasters are accompanied by an Automaton, which, according to the story of Final Fantasy XI, is a recent invention of a prominent engineer of the Eastern Empire, a Galka named Ghatsad. Traditionally, the entertainers of the past had used marionettes to entertain crowds. These new creations are built and maintained by their puppetmaster owners and function without the use of any strings or other attachment. Instead, a puppetmaster uses a remote device known as an animator which can be use to control the pet.
Square-Enix originally intended to introduce a Necromancer job class, but after deciding that it did not fit into the story concept of the game, they created the Puppetmaster instead.
Becoming a PuppetmasterEdit
Travel to Aht Urhgan Whitegate, and find Iruki-Waraki at K-9. He tells you to bring him an Automaton. From there, go to the Automaton Shop in the same zone at I-7. Ghastad will tell you about the old relic Automatons and where to find them. After talking with him, you learn that the relics are located in Arrapago Reef. Go to the Northern Port and ride the boat to Nashmau. You can also take the Runic Portal to Azouph Isle. Run through Caedarva Mire to I-6 and arrive in Arrapago Reef.
Once in Arrapago Reef, go to H-10. Aboard the first ship you come across there should be a Skeleton, a Lamia, and a ???. When it's safe, touch the ??? to get the relic head and frame. Then, return them to Ghastad at the Automaton shop. Wait until the next day, and then talk to him again. Travel back to Iruki-Waraki and choose a name for your new Automaton.
Combat Skill RatingsEdit
|Skill||Rank||Caps by Level|
Automaton Skills rank accordingly. Valoredge: A- in Melee. Sharpshooter: A- in Ranged. Stormwaker: A- in Magic. With Soulsoother/Spiritreaver head, A+ in magic. Harlequin: B- in Magic, Melee, and Ranged.
Puppetmasters in Final Fantasy XIEdit
- Good Puppetmasters can sometimes keep up with heavy damage dealing classes like Dragoon and Samurai using the combined power of their Automaton and their own fighting ability.
- Automatons can be configured to do a variety of different abilities and fill multiple roles. This allows Puppetmasters to take on the roles of Healers, Mages, and Damage Dealers. In this way the Automaton is similar to Gogo, making it the closest the game has to a Mime class.
- The Activate ability, which calls the Automaton, uses a ten minute timer. If the Automaton is knocked out, the master must wait for the timer to be ready before Activate can be used again. This sometimes makes it difficult to keep the Puppetmaster's damage at its peak until abilities like Role Reversal and Ventriloquy are merited.
- It takes time, money, practice, and patience to become a decent Puppetmaster. Requires complete knowledge of the function of each attachment and Automaton AI to master - which is occasionally altered by patches.
- Due to the difficult learning curve of the job, there are many sub-par Puppetmasters, which may lead to slow invites and forced solo-play.
One of the best choices for any Puppetmaster while in a party. Offers Provoke, allowing a Puppetmaster with a healing Automaton to be a back up tank. Also offers Attack Bonus, Double Attack, and Berserk for increased damage.
A good alternate to the Warrior. This gives the Puppetmaster higher Martial Arts traits earlier, Boost to raise their damage and help keep hate off their Automaton while solo, as well as Counter, Dodge, Focus, and Chakra.
With a Healing Automaton, a Puppetmaster is able to heal, but not as effectively as a White Mage. Despite this, they can free up Red Mages and Summoners to use their offensive abilities and provide back up healing if necessary. Aside from this, White Mage offers little for a Puppetmaster both inside and outside of parties.
A very good subjob for a solo Puppetmaster. Utsusemi will tank damage, allowing the Automaton to take on a damage-dealing role. Not advisable for parties, since it offers little that will be useful.
Another good, yet over-looked support job choice. A dragoon subjob offers Attack Bonus at earlier levels. Jump further increases damage. There are also many pieces of gear that add Haste and Attack+ that make this an acceptable support job for a solo or party Puppetmaster.
A superb subjob for a solo player, or for playing as a support healer in parties. It gives you healing abilities, debuffing abilities, and the option to have your Automaton on a DD frame to utilize their damage for faster kills.
A very good sub job for a solo Puppetmaster. PUP/SCH only offers spells available to a level 45 Scholar, but at level 90 strength while under the effects of Light Arts or Dark Arts. It gives healing and offensive magic and most importantly access to Sleep. PUP/SCH can solo very well with well timed Automaton magic attacks alternated with Sleep.
Puppetmaster appears in Final Fantasy Trading Card Game.
|Final Fantasy XI Jobs|
|Warrior - Monk - White Mage - Black Mage - Red Mage - Thief|
|Original Advanced Jobs|
|Paladin - Dark Knight - Beastmaster - Bard - Ranger - Summoner|
|Rise of the Zilart Jobs|
|Samurai - Ninja - Dragoon|
|Treasures of Aht Urhgan Jobs|
|Blue Mage - Corsair - Puppetmaster|
|Wings of the Goddess Jobs|
|Dancer - Scholar|
|Seekers of Adoulin Jobs|
|Geomancer - Rune Fencer|