- "O mighty Ifrit, Lord of the Inferno and Champion of Sun! Thy humble servants have summoned Thee forth from the boundless aether, that Thou might cleanse these heathens' souls of their transgressions with Thine holy flames."
- —Amalj'aa Transfigurator
Primals, also known as "eikons" are magical beings in Final Fantasy XIV who have been summoned ten years ago by the beast races of Eorzea, after Midgardsormr was killed in the Battle of Silvertear Skies and its seal on the aether beneath Silvertear Lake was broken, allowing the beast tribes to access it and summon their gods. Out of all the beast tribes, Sylphs, Goblins and Qiqirn are the only ones whose primals are currently unknown.
They all are classic Final Fantasy summons, and may be related to both the Echo and the sudden new attacks from the Garlean Empire, who considers them a powerful threat. Each beast race has its own Primal and plans to use them to its own ends, either to harass the city-states, self protection or to fight against the Garleans.
The summoning rituals requires a massive amount of crystals and shards of the same type used by crafters, a fact that prompted some of the beast races to stop selling those shards to the city-states.
Due to the presence of Primals in Eorzea and the massive amount of energy needed to summon them, it is said that the flux of aether over Silvertear Falls has been disrupted and the whole land of Eorzea will slowly perish if this process isn't reversed. This may be one of the reasons behind the Garlean Empire's campaign to destroy the Primals.
Known Primals are:
- Ifrit, Primal of the Amalj'aa.
- Garuda, Primal of the Ixal.
- Titan, Primal of the Kobolds.
- Leviathan, Primal of the Sahagin.
- Good King Moggle Mog XII, Primal of the Moogles.
- Ramuh, Primal of the Sylphs.
- Shiva, a confirmed primal of an unknown Beastkin to the north. All that is known is they are very large and have an icy demeanor.
- Odin, described as a roaming Elder Primal.
- Bahamut, primal of the Dragons; Bahamut used to be incarcerated inside Dalamud.
- In the original opening CG, it is possible to see the shapes of Ifrit and Titan emerging from the aether pillar formed after the death of Midgardsomr. This is the only time in the game in which Titan can be seen.
- The Garlean word "eikon" may be a combination of the word Eidolon and the name Eiko.