Join young Noctis and his magical guide as you explore the fantastical world of his dreams—a sneak peek of the excitement to come in FINAL FANTASY XV.
Platinum Demo - Final Fantasy XV is a free-to-play prologue to Final Fantasy XV that was released in all regions for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on March 30, 2016. It was delisted from the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live online stores on March 31, 2017.
While exploring the world of his dreams, Noctis Lucis Caelum can collect yellow crystals that unlock plates which have a variety of effects when he steps on them. Noctis can collect a maximum of 999 crystals after he unlocks gold plates in Altissia.
|Plate Type||Crystals Required||Effect|
|Bronze Plate||15||Speed up time, change the weather, reveal a Summon, transform into a vehicle or monster, or spawn soccer balls (in Altissia).|
|Silver Plate||100||Unlock Radiant Sword, unlock Shining Hammer, unlock Hero's Shield, unlock Thunderbolt, unlock Raindrops, receive Fire x3 (adult Noctis), restore MP (adult Noctis), or transform into a vehicle.|
|Gold Plate||250||Unlock Meteorain, receive Thunderbolt x5, receive Fireworks x5, receive Raindrops x5, receive Meteorain x5, or respawn monsters (in Altissia).|
|Platinum Plate||N/A (Defeat Iron Giant)||Respawn Iron Giant, unlock Cross Shuriken, or end the Platinum Demo.|
|Defeat Nightmare (Small Goblin)||+1|
|Defeat Nightmare (Large Goblin)||+5|
|Defeat Nightmare (Sabertusk)||+2|
- Noctis Lucis Caelum - The main protagonist and young prince of Lucis. He has been injured and must escape the world of his dreams to return to those he loves.
- Regis Lucis Caelum - Noctis's father and the king of Lucis. He tasks Carbuncle with protecting Noctis through his darkest dreams.
- Carbuncle - A creature that helps Noctis navigate his dreamworld and reach his safe place.
Eight-year-old Noctis Lucis Caelum wakes up in the world of his dreams after he is injured by a Marilith. He is approached by Carbuncle and given a smartphone that allows it to communicate with him. Together, Noctis and Carbuncle venture through Noctis's dreamworld to reach the exit.
When Noctis and Carbuncle reach a dream version of the Citadel, they are attacked by an Iron Giant. Words from Noctis's father give the boy courage, and he transforms into his adult self. Noctis defeats the Iron Giant, reverts to normal, and returns to the real world when his safe place is revealed: the Regalia.
The Final Fantasy XV team had already told the press it was thinking of releasing a playable tech demo; the Platinum Demo is what ultimately was created from this desire. Platinum Demo - Final Fantasy XV was finished in under two months, and it made use of assets already completed for Final Fantasy XV itself. The demo was originally intended to be "less emotional," but it was decided a more story-driven experience would be better for introducing new fans to the Final Fantasy series.
Platinum Demo - Final Fantasy XV was intended to be playable immediately after its announcement at Uncovered: Final Fantasy XV. Players' reactions to the demo would also give developers insight on what needed fixing and improvement for the final version of Final Fantasy XV.
- Noctis can find the hidden weapons Cross Shuriken and Hero's Shield during his battle against the Iron Giant.
- One of the playing cards on the floor in the second area of Noctis's dreamworld has a l'Cie brand on it. This is because the playing cards in Final Fantasy XV are reused assets from Final Fantasy XIII-2.
- By pressing the Attack button and holding down the left analog stick, the player can have Noctis use special "techniques" while wielding the Broadsword or Hero's Shield.
- The hammer young Noctis wields in the demo returns in Moogle Chocobo Carnival for the Whack-a-Cactuar minigame.
- The Carbuncle figurine that Regis brings at the start of the demo is referenced both on the Brotherhood anime and the Parting Ways prologue.
- ↑ Head-to-head with Hajime Tabata and Takeshi Nozue about FFXV - Making FF Great Again (Accessed: June 28, 2018) at Famitsu
- ↑ Hironobu Sakaguchi and Hajime Tabata Discuss Their Passion for the Series and Behind-the-Scenes Episodes from the Final Fantasy XV Reveal Event (Accessed: June 28, 2018) at Famitsu