The GhostTrain will attack with Acid Rain, Evil Toot, and its Wheels for starters. Sabin's AuraBolt and Suplex are effective. Stop it dead in its tracks with Revivify.
- —Final Fantasy VI PlayStation Bestiary entry
Phantom Train, or GhostTrain, is a boss in Final Fantasy VI. It is battled at the front of the Phantom Train, and is the main engine of the train, an undead and sentient entity rather than just a machine.
Phantom Train's attacks include the dangerous Diabolic Whistle, which inflicts a random status ailment on each party member; Acid Rain; and Saintly Beam, both of which do mediocre magic damage to the entire party. It will only use Diabolic Whistle regularly if only two party members are alive, so if the player boarded the train with Shadow and keeps all party members healthy, they can avoid the risk.
One time per battle: Attack (33%) or Wheel (33%) or Diabolic Whistle (33%)
1st Turn: Attack (66%) or Wheel (33%)
- Attack (66%) or Wheel (33%)
- Increase Var3 by 1
If Var3 >= 2:
- If 2 Characters are alive:
- Set Var3 = 0
- Diabolic Whistle (100%)
If Timer >= 15:
- Reset Timer to 0
- Acid Rain (66%) or Saintly Beam (33%)
If attacked by anything: Wheel (33%)
- The Phantom Train is vulnerable to Sabin's Meteor Strike, called Suplex in the Super Nintendo localization. A suplex is a throw used in wrestling, which usually involves arching/bridging either overhead or twisting to the side, so the opponent is slammed to the mat back-first. The idea that Sabin could grapple and throw such an enormous machine has become an inside joke among fans.