|Final Fantasy XII Elite Mark|
|Bestiary Location||Elite Marks|
|Location||Garamsythe Waterway (Southern Sluiceway)|
|Common Steal||Phoenix Down|
|Rare Steal||Slime Oil|
|Common Drop||Stolen Articles|
|Very Rare Drop||None|
|Canopic Jar Drop||None|
|Attacks||Attack 6-hit max, Lunge, Slap, Mythril Bubbles|
|Abilities||Thundaga, Slowga, Break, Bleed, Immobilizega, Disablega, Darkra, Phantasmal Gaze, Flash|
|Innate abilities||Safety, Null Knockback, Resist Guns and Measures, Focus, Adrenaline, Spellbreaker, Last Stand, Parry|
|Immune to||Death, Petrify, Stop, Doom, Confuse, Reverse, Slow, Disable, Immobilize, Silence, Poison, Oil, Sap, Lure, Berserk, Warp, Poach, Fractional Damage, Sight Unseeing, Syphon, Numerology, Charm, Achilles, Wither, Addle|
|Other Information||Has Shell and Haste.|
Has 50% Protect, Bravery, and Faith.
Libra is ineffective.
- See also: Ultros
Orthros is an Elite Mark in Final Fantasy XII located in the Garamsythe Waterway, in the Southern Sluiceway. The earliest the hunt can be accepted is after returning to the Royal City of Rabanastre after the events in the Tomb of Raithwall.
Orthros will only appear if the party consists of the three female characters. The player can swap the characters to male characters after Orthros appears. Guest characters Larsa and Reddas can be in the party as well.
Hunt 35: Crime and PunishmentEdit
- Petitioner: Contrite Thief
- Petitioner's Location: Lowtown (North Sprawl)
- A petition has been submitted for the hunting of Orthros (Rank 5). The petitioner is the contrite thief in the North Sprawl of Lowtown.
- Hunt accepted. The contrite thief stole a bundle of articles, but lost it to Orthros. She wants to return the bundle to its rightful owner. Orthros is known to dwell in the southern reaches of the Garamsythe Waterway, but may only be found under certain conditions.
- Orthros defeated! Report to the contrite thief in the North Sprawl.
- Hunt reported. Returned stolen articles to their rightful owner.
- Genus: Rank V Mark
- Classification: ???
- “Being an ancient Inhabitant of the Garamsythe Waterway with an inordinate Fondness of comely Maidens. Possessing a sort of Chameleonism, whereby it assumes the Hue of that which it consumes, it is said to glow as Gold for in the Past it ate a Merchant's Store of Coin. This creature consumed a thief's ill-gotten plunder, which she now wishes to return to its rightful owner, thus has she petitioned the hunt for this Mark.”
Orthros is a flan-type enemy, and thus physical attacks are ineffective, but Orthros is not immune to them. Orthros attacks with spells like Slowga and Immobilizega, along with other status magic. Its Mythril Bubbles move is particularly dangerous, as it can inflict several status ailments. Orthros can be inflicted with Blind.
The battle can be made easier with a few preparations. Sashes block the mark's Slowga spell. The biggest challenge is how to fight the mark. If the player has completed enough hunts, Bravery and Faith Green Magicks can make the battle easier. Weapon strikes under Bravery will inflict more damage.
Protect, Shell, Haste and Blind are the party's best friends in this battle. One way about the battle is to cast Reflectga, and then Firaga on the party causing three (possibly four if a guest is present) hits of Firaga on Orthros per cast, which makes it possible to defeat him in under a minute. Orthros can be beaten even at low levels by inflicting Sleep on it and then summoning an Esper or casting magic. Nihopalaoa+Alarm Clock is another good trick which works every time.
The player will also receive the Stolen Articles after the battle, which the Contrite Thief returns to Samal. He comes by to give the player a Blackened Fragment, which is part of the Nabreus Medal sidequest.
Orthros refers to the octopus Ultros that first appeared in Final Fantasy VI. Despite being a flan, it is the same color and its description alludes to Ultros.
Cerberus. It was slain as part of the twelve labors of Hercules.Orthros, also spelled Orthrus and Orthos, is a creature from Greek mythology, a two-headed dog that is brother to
The Orthros of Final Fantasy has no connection with the mythical Orthros, save for their link to Typhon, which in the Greek myth was the father of Orthros and Cerberus.