|Final Fantasy XIII Final Boss|
|Location||Orphan's Cradle (The Narthex)|
|Abilities||Kaleidoscopic Ray, Necrosis, Temporal Hollow, Rebirth, Doom|
|Notes|| - Capable of inflicting Doom.|
- Cannot be damaged except when staggered.
- Capable of inflicting Pain.
- Employs physical and magic combination attacks.
- “You don't believe in anything. You gave up on life before you were even born! All you care about is death's release, so take it and leave the rest of us alone! We don't think like that.”
- See also: Orphan
The final battle against Orphan proceeds directly after the previous battle and the player cannot initially change their paradigms or equipment. However, once the battle starts, if the player pauses the game and selects Retry, the game will permit the player to make changes without losing progress.
Orphan starts the battle by casting Doom on the party leader. While Doom will last three times longer than normal, the time limit imposed is strict as the player is required to deplete its 3,390,000 HP to win the battle. Orphan is immune to all forms of damage unless it is staggered.
Once Orphan is staggered, it is vulnerable to damage. Orphan can be Launched, but it can still damage party members when in the air. Uniquely for a final boss, Orphan is vulnerable to Instant Death when staggered, although the chances of Vanille's Full ATB Skill Death connecting remain low.
The player can maximize their damage output by exploiting Orphan's vulnerability against Deprotect, Deshell, and Imperil. While these statuses can be inflicted at any time, inflicting them on Orphan while it is staggered will make their effects last longer.
Defeating Orphan will grant a final Crystarium Expansion for all character roles and the Instrument of Change Trophy or Achievement. If the player obtains a five-star rating for this battle, the Superstar Trophy or Achievement will be awarded.
The player must aim to stagger Orphan as soon as possible, as this is the only time it can take damage. Using the items Painkiller and Mallet is faster than relying on a Medic to heal the status ailments Orphan may inflict onto the party. If using Lightning as party leader, it is easier to make Orphan hit stagger by using the Lionheart or Ultima Weapon line of gunblades.
If the player wants to acquire the Superstar Trophy/Achievement, a good tactic is to have either Fang or Snow as the party leader. Once Orphan has been staggered, the player can use their Full ATB Skills, Sovereign Fist and Highwind. It is recommended the player use Relentless Assault first when Orphan staggers, before switching to Cerberus (COM/COM/COM) to deal maximum damage. It is also a good idea to inflict Deprotect/Imperil.
- This form of Orphan is the only enemy in Final Fantasy XIII that is still able to attack while launched.
- According to the Final Fantasy XIII Scenario Ultimania, Square Enix battle planner Nobuyuki Matsuoka paid homage to the final boss of The Final Fantasy Legend by deliberately giving Orphan an Instant Death vulnerability.
- A dummied bestiary entry with a staggered version of Orphan exists, but only the unstaggered version can be seen when checking its attributes during the fight.