- “A certain kind of metal is always used when making statues of protection. This orichalcum is a curious metal indeed, ever burning with a cold flame. That it appears as a flame, in fact, has led to the belief that orichalcum has no true substance... but combine an incandescent flame with the cool-burning flame of the metal, and the energy given off as a result will be quite real enough to convince even the stubbornest skeptic. This is the power that moves the statues.”
- —Research Notes
Orichalcum (オリハルコン, Oriharukon?) is a recurring item in the Final Fantasy series. Usually a Key Item or loot, it is a rare ore like the Mythril and the Adamantite. It is usually used in weapons, such as the Orichalcum Dirk.
The Orichalcum is only present in the Nintendo DS version of Final Fantasy III, as it is used in the Legendary Smith sidequests. It is found in Cid's basement and is used by the Legendary Smith to forge the Ultima Weapon.
Orichalcum (ores, ingots, sheets, chains, etc.) is a relatively expensive ingredient used most commonly by Goldsmithers in the production of a number of powerful weapons and armors (and furnishings). For some time it was notably one of the rarer minerals to mine in the field, making it a rather expensive commodity. The ingots have a number of secondary applications as well, specifically with quest lines involving the upgrading of the Mandau Relic Dagger, Gungnir Relic Polearm, the five Salvage Headgears, and the ninth inventory expansion Quest.
- “This mysterious metal seems to waver and shine like a flame. Some believe it does not even truly exist, that it is the mere idea of the metal which lends protection.”
Orichalcum is a rare loot in Final Fantasy XII. It can be sold for 1,777 gil in the Bazaar in order to obtain the Stoneblade and the Masamune. Orichalcum can be stolen from Vishno and Poached from Deidar in the Pharos.
- “This metal has the strange property of becoming solid only at certain times of day. Smiths call it the phantom metal, and treat it with utmost care.”
Orichalcum is a rare loot in Final Fantasy Tactics A2, obtained by completing the missions The Dig, Through Another's Eyes, A Lady's Proposition, The Cat's Meow, Goug Nightwatch, and Yellow Wings in Trouble. It is required in order to create the Orichalcum Dirk, Restorer, Ayvuir Red, Vigilante, and Wygar.
The Orichalcum is a rare material in Crystal Chronicles that is used to create the that is used to create the strongest weapons and armor in the game, including Diamond equipment, Legendary and Ultima weapons, Ragnarok, Longinus, Dreamcatcher, and Force Ring.
- “A brass alloy high in zinc created by ancients. Prized as a strong material for military goods.”
The Orichalcum appears as a material, and can be obtained either by winning it from Daedalus, Dark Skeleton, Hammer Goblin (at Rela Cyel), Ice Flan, Lick Prickle, Needle Turtle, Skeleton (only at Valley of Heroes), Spin Spine (at the Crystal Temple), Carniflower (only at Abyssus Forest), Coelacanth (only at Rela Cyel), Dragon (only at Kilanda Islands), Lich, and Scorpion (at Valley of Heroes) on Hard or Very Hard mode, or by creating it for 500 gil by using up one Old Hellish Iron and three Holy Orbs through the Heavenly Ore scroll.
- “An ancient zinc and brass alloy. An excellent material for military applications.”
Orihalcon is found after beating the boss on the 80th floor of any of the four optional towers. It can be turned in to the weapon upgrade shop at Urbeth in order to raise the maximum upgrade level of any equipment. Default maximum is +9, but each Orihalcon turned in grants +10 to the maximum.
The orichalcum is an extremely rare mineral that can be found only within the Eisen continent. Orichalcum is described as being an extremely hard mineral, the hardest mineral off all, possibly as hard or harder than diamonds. Current technology in Luxendarc is incapable of processing it any longer than a rough hewn dagger.
Orichalcum is a key item only available after the party asked for the orichalcum Egil Meyer when he is staying at the Caldisla inn, with Innkeeper Karl. The party uses the orichalcum at the Grandship's engine room to put it in its 'heart'. After they've done it, the Grandship stopped sinking and leaning, becoming completely stable. Ringabel tried to push a "glowing button", after pushing it, the Grandship starts to rise from the sea, and is revealed that it is actually an airship! The party, along with Zatz, Datz and the Proprietress became a clan soon enough.
Kingdom Hearts SeriesEdit
Orichalcum is listed as an extremely rare ore, and can only be found in certain worlds at certain times, or as a drop from bosses. There is an upgraded form of Orichalcum; Orichalcum+, which only drops off of specific bosses and can be found only in the World that Never Was. Both types are needed to synthesize the Ultima Weapon.