- "I found out today that this magazine with a goofy name called BOO! Monthly changed its name to Occult Fan. Its articles were always interesting."
- —Note found at Dollet
Occult Fan (オカルトファン, Okaruto Fan?) is a magazine found in Final Fantasy VIII. There are four such magazines and they provide information about the PuPu sidequest as well as the Guardian Force Doomtrain. They are found at the following locations.
Occult Fan IEdit
- Mysterious Monster Death!!! Odell Burk (67) of Timber was tending to his field when he found a dead monster after hearing a loud impact sound. Mr. Burk said it occurred while he was making a fence with steel pipes. An extremely strange death!
Inside the Library in Balamb Garden, from one of the bookcases. It features a story about one Odell Burke, who heard a loud noise while making a fence out of steel pipes, only to discover a dead monster as if it was hit by a runaway train. This magazine gives clues for the player on one of three items needed to obtain Doomtrain - the Steel Pipe.
Occult Fan IIEdit
- It's an Unidentified Flying Object! On the left is a photo shot in Esthar. Take a look at the unidentified flying object in the center. Have you ever seen any monster or airplane like this!? Some say it may be Esthar's secret weapon, but residents of the area say it appears when there is a major Malboro outbreak.
After winning a game of Triple Triad against the Pub owner in Dollet, found by repeatedly examining the magazine stacks on the floor in his 'private room'. It features the sighting of a UFO, which is said to happen during a major Malboro outbreak. It actually points out where to find the UFO after four random encounters with it - the Grandidi Forest near Esthar where Malboros are usually found. It also points out one of the three items needed to obtain Doomtrain - the Malboro Tentacle.
Occult Fan IIIEdit
- Summoning Legend Revealed! Look at this picture. This is a confidential photo of what is assumed to be a ring that summons a legendary GF. Legend goes that it was a ring that belonged to a royal family. Its name and whereabouts are unknown. The legend says you must have 666 items to summon the GF.
From the Master Fisherman as soon as the player reaches Fishermans Horizon (down the ladder on the third screen). It features the item used to summon the GF Doomtrain - the Solomon's Ring. Also, it describes the quantity of additional items needed to be used with the Solomon's Ring.
Occult Fan IVEdit
- Unidentified Flying Object Revealed!? Our research on the deadly flying object revealed that a Devil (left) may be flying and attacking people. Another theory calls it an alien (right). Neither has been proven, but the people that were attacked all owned ST Full Recovery Medicine.
From the Presidential Aide in the Presidential Palace in Esthar. The player must leave the Palace, talk to another aide at the Esthar Airstation and come back to find it. Can only be obtained before Lunar Cry. The magazine features two unidentified beings, but it also hints on the third item needed to obtain the GF Doomtrain - a Remedy+.
- "A legendary magazine, now out of print."
- "The first issue of a legendary magazine, now out of print."
Occult Fan returns as a special trade accessory that grants +4 Luck when equipped, and can only be found in two parts of the Confessions of the Creator.