The Nintendo DS, sometimes abbreviated NDS or DS, was a family of handheld game consoles developed and manufactured by Nintendo, initially to complement the earlier Game Boy Advance. The initial model was released in 2004. DS units had a clamshell design akin to the Game Boy Advance SP; and enclosed within each unit were two separate LCD screens that give the handheld its name, the lower of which was a touchscreen that used a stylus for control and input. Early models were backward-compatible with Game Boy Advance games, but not earlier Game Boy games.
The Nintendo DS Lite, released in 2006, was a slimmer, more lightweight redesign of the earlier Nintendo DS model with a backlit screen; aesthetically sleeker to complement Nintendo's Wii, and to appeal to broader commercial audiences.
The Nintendo DSi, released in 2009 (2008 in Japan), was an even slimmer model than the DS Lite. This third iteration featured two interactive digital cameras, an SD card slot, internal memory, and an online store as well as an internet browser built-in. However, unlike the previous DS models, the DSi did not have a Game Boy Advance slot. A larger version of the DSi called the Nintendo DSi XL (Nintendo DSi LL in Japan) was released worldwide in 2010. It had the same capabilities of a normal Nintendo DSi, but with a much larger screen, thus making the screen almost as large as the PlayStation Portable's screen.
The Nintendo DS family had sold over 150 million units worldwide as of March 2016. It is the predecessor for the Nintendo 3DS line, released in 2011.
Final Fantasy Titles for Nintendo DSEdit
- Final Fantasy III (2006)
- Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales (2006)
- Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (2007)
- Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates (2007)
- Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift (2007)
- Final Fantasy IV (2007)
- Shido to Chokobo no Fushigi na Danjon Toki Wasure no Meikyū DS+ (2008) (Japan only)
- Chocobo to Mahou no Ehon: Majo to Shoujo to Go-nin no Yuusha (2008) (Japan only)
- Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time (2009)
- Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light (2009)
Related titles for the DSEdit
- Blood of Bahamut (2009) (Japan only)
- SaGa 2 Hihō Densetsu: Goddess of Destiny (2009) (Japan only)
- SaGa 3 Jikū no Hasha: Shadow or Light (2011) (Japan only)
Special editions of the console have been released along the games' respective releases in Japan.