Nidhogg is a Hyper Notorious Monster (one of the three HQ Land Kings) in Final Fantasy XI, found in the Dragon's Aery, as a forced spawn for its Normal-Quality placeholder counterpart Fafnir, using the item Sweet Tea. It is several levels higher than Fafnir, and has essentially the same character model on-screen but is somewhat larger. Nidhogg has a variety of devastating abilities shared by most monsters in the Wyrm family, as well as an un-named unique ability which boosts all of its stats significantly for a short span of time. Unlike Fafnir, however, all of its special attacks will strike every player within its immediate proximity, not simply the specific player-alliance fighting it. To avoid damage from Dragon Breath and Spike Flail, the most common strategy to defeat any Wyrm is to fight it with all party members standing at either side of its front, more or less on its front toes.
- Hurricane Wing: Moderate area damage, severe but brief Blind effect.
- Horrid Roar: Dispels at random one beneficial effect.
- Absolute Terror: Inflicts a single target with the Terror status, an irremovable Stun effect.
- Dragon Breath: Heavy frontal cone Fire-based damage.
- Spike Flail: Catastrophic area damage when hate is taken from behind. Generally will cause a player alliance to be instantly killed.
- "Boost": Raises Nidhogg's Attack, Defense, and Magic Defense astronomically for roughly 30 seconds; noticeable by the dust-cloud that appears upon use, and its raised wings.
All drop rates calculated with Treasure Hunter +4 effect.
|Dragon Blood - Synthesis Material used in Alchemy recipes||100%|
|Dragon Heart - Synthesis Material used in Alchemy and Cooking recipes||100%|
|Dragon Meat - Synthesis Material used in Cooking recipes||15%|
|Dragon Scales - Synthesis Material used in Bonecrafting recipes||5%|
|Dragon Talon - Synthesis Material used in Bonecrafting recipes||5%|
|Nidhogg's Scales - Synthesis Material used in Woodworking recipes||70%|
|Wyrm Beard - Item for Black Belt Quest||100%|
|Aquarian Abjuration: Body - Used to uncurse Dalmatica, powerful cloak for Mages||25%|
|Earthen Abjuration: Body - Used to uncurse Adaman Hauberk, powerful body armor for Front-line combatants||25%|
|Martial Abjuration: Body - Used to uncurse Koenig Cuirass, heavy body armor with great defenses||25%|
|Neptunal Abjuration: Legs - Used to uncurse Hecatomb Subligar, powerful legwear for damage dealers||25%|
- One Abjuration will always drop, each of the four with an equal chance of generating in the pool. There is a random chance for a second abjuration to drop, including the same abjuration as the first.
- One Dragon Heart, Dragon Blood, and Wyrm Beard will always drop. A second Dragon Blood may also drop.
- Nidhogg also drops several thousand Gil upon defeat.
- This is the only place in the game to obtain the Nidhogg's Scales item. For six years the item served absolutely no purpose until it was added as an ingredient in a furnishing recipe for woodworkers.
- Until 2008, Nidhogg was the only place in the game to get the Adaman Hauberk, Koenig Cuirass, or Hecatomb Subligar.
- If players are under the "Signet" status, Nidhogg may drop up to 4 Fire Crystals.
- Players are awarded the title "Nidhogg Slayer" upon defeating Nidhogg for the first time.
Níðhöggr (meaning "malice striker" in Old Norse, commonly anglicized as "Nidhogg") is a dragon in Norse mythology who would eat the roots of Yggdrasil, the world tree.The