New Game Plus or "New Game+" is a recurring feature in the Final Fantasy series that allows the player to start a new game after they complete the game. Normally players begin with rare items or abilities from their previous game.
The 3D remakes include a New Game Plus feature.
The things that carry over from playthrough to playthrough include:
- All Augments. Characters keep any assigned augments, while unassigned augments remain in the key items inventory.
- The Bomb, Cockatrice, Goblin and Mindflayer summons for Rydia, as well as the items that teach her these summons.
- All Adamant and Onion equipment, as well as any tails that can be traded for them.
- The number of times ???'s Love has been powered up.
- All Apples and Soma Drops. The stat bonuses they confer do NOT carry over, however, so it's recommended to save these for the final playthrough.
- The Dark Matter item, which can be stolen during the final battle, and which is used to battle the Proto-Babil superboss in a subsequent playthrough.
- The progress of the Namingway questline.
- All map completion, including overworld maps and dungeons mapped out using the Wayfarer's Map.
- The ending of the game can be viewed again in the Event Theater and the epilogue music can be listened to in the Music Box.
Only three playthroughs total are allowed. At the end of a fresh playthrough, the option to start again in New Game Plus mode is presented at the end of the game, after the credits. On the second playthrough, the option to start a third playthrough in New Game Plus mode is presented. No such option is presented after the third playthrough.
The IOS, Android and Steam releases feature a New Game Plus by loading a save file of a finished game when selecting a New Tale (with the exception of Kain's Tale and The Crystals). In New Game Plus, all characters retain their levels, their band levels, their exact numbers of HP and MP and, for Palom, Porom and Leonora, the dualcast command.
Since none of the items carry on while the game conserve the exact number of HP and MP of a character, it is advised to consume any Silver Apples, Golden Apples and Soma Drops before beginning a New Game Plus.
Rydia does not retain any of her rare summons.
After completing the game once, players choose a New Game+ option, which allows them to replay the game with all the same items, Materia, level, and equipment they had when they finished the game the first time.
However, all Digital Mind Wave characters are lost, except for Angeal and Sephiroth, along with all Mission data. Zack's weapon returns to being a regular sword rather than the Buster Sword. After completing the game again, there is a "New Game++" option, which acts the same way. There is, however, no new content that can be found on these replays.
New Game Plus appears as an option on the game's main menu after finishing the game and saving game-clear data. Soft-resetting the game after loading any file that is a New Game Plus also activates this option.
The following is carried over:
- All items in the inventory, with the exception of all Greens (as this would allow a player to catch a chocobo before the Ranch opens).
- Gil obtained.
- O'aka's current debt carries over, with an additional 1,000 gil added to his total.
- All accessories (characters do not, however, begin the new game with any accessories equipped).
- All dresspheres and Garment Grids, including their configuration. The First Steps grid is an exception: it will be reset to its "tutorial" config.
- All abilities (including any progress made towards unlearned ones), and all key items that teach abilities to certain dresspheres.
- Everything in Shinra's Bestiary and Dossiers, except for Shuyin's and Tidus's dossiers (see below).
- All Al Bhed Primers.
- All spheres purchased at the Luca Theater.
- Current high score in the Gunner's Gauntlet (which becomes the new score that must be beaten to clear the mission again).
- Blitzball stats and rankings.
- Completion percentage. Any previously-earned percentage will not be added to this new total.
- Play time.
- Any Fiend Tales completed in Shinra's Creature Creator.
- The current roster of eight creatures, as well as their learned abilities and permanent stat increases.
- All unlocked Tournaments in the Fiend Arena, as well as the number of times each one has been cleared.
The following is not carried over:
- Character and creature levels.
- Key items, with the exceptions of those listed above.
- Captured chocobos and any Gysahl Greens.
- All trap pods are lost and replaced with a single Trap Pod S.
- Everything related to the two Calm Lands companies, including PR ratings and credits.
- Matchmaking ratings.
- Bikanel excavation status and wages, as well as the the build status of the Experiment.
- Thunder Plains tower calibration scores.
- Sphere Break coins and their values.
- Checkpoints reached in the Via Infinito.
- Enemy formations unlocked in the Battle Simulator (except for aeons).
- The Fiend Arena config option is reset to Default and the Vibration option is reset to OFF.
- Shuyin's and Tidus's dossiers are reset to their Chapter 1 status (Shuyin's displays as ??? again, and Tidus's is missing)
The following new features are available in New Game+:
- Ending FMV scenes and additional music can be purchased at the Sphere Theater.
- Dossiers for Jecht, Auron, and Braska are unlocked.
- Scenes not viewed during the original playthrough will add percentage.
- International/HD Remaster: Kimahri, Lulu, Ormi, Logos, and Leblanc can be recruited into the Gullwings via Creature Creator.
The Zodiac versions have two New Game Plus modes: New Game+, where all characters begin at level 90, and New Game-, where all characters start at Level 1 and do not gain any experience, preventing them from leveling up. Nothing carries over into these new save files. In the console versions New Game+ can be started after completing the game, and New Game- can be started after the player completes the game's Trial Mode. Neither mode can be started at any other point. In the Steam version, New Game Plus and New Game Minus are accessible from the beginning.
There is no New Game+ feature but special items called Gate Seals allow players to "lock" certain locations and replay the events in them to obtain rare monsters if they had been previously missed, and choose different options during Live Trigger sequences to obtain "prizes" from previous choices that weren't made. However, some parts are not replayable in this way; for example, players cannot redo the Temporal Rift anomalies.
No matter which way a New Game+ starts, the following is always carried over:
- All power from saved souls, including HP, Strength, Magic, EP, ATB, and recovery item slots.
- All non-quest items.
- Most garbs, all adornments, and all accessories.
- Most weapons and shields. The exceptions are Ultima Weapon and Ultima Shield, which will revert to Crimson Blitz and Night Lotus, respectively.
- All EP abilities obtained.
- Gil obtained.
- Game time.
The following additional bonuses apply if a New Game+ is begun in any way after defeating the final boss at least once:
- The player can select Hard mode. On this difficulty, enemies are much tougher and give even less EP upon defeat, but they also drop better items, and triple the usual amount of gil. Merchants across Nova Chrysalia will also stock a number of garbs and equipment exclusively on this difficulty.
- The player will gain the ability to upgrade weapons and shields at Forges. The materials required for upgrades can be obtained through Adventuring Essentials shops, and by defeating various enemies.
- The player receives a key item from the Ark which allows them to activate Limit Break. This increases the cap on Lightning's HP/Strength/Magic from 50000/5000/5000 to 99999/9999/9999, respectively. While the Outerworld Services were still active, using this item would disable the ability to upload battle scores to the server.
- EP may be increased to 9, and item slots to 12 by completing main quests again.
- A crystal hourglass will appear in the Ark after the end of Day 2. This hourglass can instantly begin a New Game+ on demand, with all the benefits a standard New Game+ brings. The hourglass will also appear outside the doors leading to the final boss, if Lightning is forced to escape the battle.
All quests will give a different set of rewards if they were completed in any previous playthrough. Lightning will receive smaller stat bonuses for these repeated quests, but 50% more gil. Similarly, as she can only carry one of each accessory, opening a treasure sphere in New Game+ can instead upgrade that accessory (or contain gil instead) if she opened the treasure sphere in a previous playthrough. Previously-opened treasure spheres containing notes on monsters will now contain items that may be sold for gil.
New Game+ was added as a part of the version 1.03 patch. Originally, there was no New Game+ feature, though it is mentioned in the "Key Items" section of the official guide, implying that it had always been a part of Square Enix's plan. The New Game+ mode can be accessed after clearing the game once.
While playing on New Game+, the following is carried over from the previous playthrough:
- Character levels.
- Gear (including all non-quest weapons, accessories and attires, including the Kingly Raiment).
- Upgradeable weaponry (besides Engine Blade's upgrades).
- Royal arms and Armiger.
- Non-quest items.
- Ascension skills and Ability Points.
- Characters' skill levels: Fishing (and all fish caught and fishing gear), Survival, Cooking (and all recipes) and Photography (and all photos and filters).
- Elemancy spells and Magic Flasks. New Game Plus is a way to get more than 14 flasks at once as the flask locations reset.
- Regalia colors, decals and installation parts.
- Chocobo renting option.
- Chocobo levels, names, colors and race medals.
- Music bought in-game.
- After Patch 1.06 the Ring of the Lucii can be brought to New Game Plus.
Not carried over on New Game+ include:
- Ultima Weapon.
- Regalia Type-D and Type-F.
- Quest progression
- Hunting rank.
- Map information, map points, and parking spots.
- Sealbreaker's Key and Menace Dungeon access
There are no new difficulty levels on New Game+.
The New Game Plus feature is available only to all players who have completed the game, allowing them to replay the game with the same weapons and stats as the end of their first journey. They are also given the item "Rood Inverse" which allows them to enter new passageways originally blocked-off during the first playthrough, such as the Iron Maiden.
The New Game Plus feature is available after completing the game for the first time. Any character experience, weapons, and accessories the player has gained carry over from the previous save file, as well as the Setzer airship if the player has attained it. As the game was designed to be played more than once, new missions, classified as "Code Crimson", are unlocked during the second playthrough, which feature new cutscenes and enemies. Progress through certain sidequests, such as Emina's and Kazusa's, is carried over to the next playthrough; however, if such sidequests are completed, they are reset so as to allow them to be completed again. Finis difficulty (enemy level +50) is unlocked on New Game Plus as well, and some rewards can only be obtained on this difficulty setting.
The New Game Plus feature is available after completing the game for the first time. New Game Plus saved games are indicated with a Crown and a Star symbol to the left of it. All Gil, equipment, experience points and items are carried over from the last game. New equipment are also available to buy and craft, and a new dungeon, River Belle, is unlocked together with a new boss. Enemies are also stronger in the new playthrough, and they now drop new loot.
The New Game Plus feature is implemented here, under the name Start+. Virtually everything from the old file is carried over to the new one, including party members and mercenaries, character levels, equipped armor, and the entire inventory.
After completing the game, the player will be asked to save a "clear file", which is differentiated from first-playthrough files by the addition of a small medal icon. By loading this file, the player can begin a second playthrough in which Layle's health total and inventory from the end of the first, are carried over. Also, the Layle Moogle now offers his services from the beginning of the game, and can be found in the entrance corridor of Alfitaria Capital City.
Uniquely, New Game Plus mode also contains new and expanded scenes that provide clearer context for certain storyline events:
- At the very beginning of the game, Althea discovers her father's crystallized corpse in the cockpit of the decommissioned Alexis.
- When Jegran boards the Selkie Train in search of Layle, the letter he is given by the mail moogle is revealed to be from Belle, attempting to extort 10,000,000 gil from him in exchange for the continued secrecy of his being a crystal bearer.
The New Game Plus feature becomes available after clearing the game with the "The End" chapter. Finishing the game with the "Finale" chapter will not grant access to New Game Plus.
Before starting the game, the player may choose which of the following progress will carry over:
- Custom Character Names
- Job Levels
- Genome Abilities
- Norende Village Population
- Norende Village Status
- D's Journal
- Special Moves
- Play Time
The player is also given the choice to start the game in another save file, instead of overwriting their old file.
New Game Plus works slightly differently than in the previous game, this time tying in with the game's story. It is unlocked at the end of Chapter IV after leaving the Skyhold and landing the airship after Anne makes the Moon disappear. Yew will beseech the player to "bring them all to where it all began". From then on, New Game Plus is added to the main menu. Selecting it brings the player to the beginning of the game during the opening fight with Kaiser Oblivion, albeit with a few notable differences.
Yew will retain any equipment/job he had, including the Strange Hourglass, allowing him to activate Bravely Second. Doing so will trigger a cutscene and allow the player to fight the kaiser, which leads to the beginning of Chapter V. At this point, New Game Plus becomes unusable for that file until the end of Chapter 6.
After the final chapter, New Game Plus allows the player to return to the beginning of the game or of any chapter, and additionally allows the player to keep or reset the following:
- Character Names
- Character Levels
- Job Levels
- Funds (pg)
- Items (excluding Key Items)
- Favorites (saved quick-select party makeups)
- Catmancy Abilities
- Moon Population
- Moon Status (including Buster Ship level)
- Ba'als attacking the Moon
- Special Moves
- Play Time
- Chompcraft (upgrades, milestones, and cp accumulated)
On starting a new game, players are able to choose whether they would like to transfer save data from Dissidia Final Fantasy. If one opts to do so, there are two options: "New Game +", which carries over character levels, abilities, accessory slots, AP, Player Icons and bought PP Catalog items, and "Reset character levels", which does the same but resets levels, abilities and AP. Both options present the player with an "Elixir Pack" as bonus for transferring data.