New Game Plus or "New Game+" is a recurring feature in the Final Fantasy series that allows the player to start a new game after they complete the game. Normally players begin with rare items or abilities from their previous game.
The 3D remakes include a New Game Plus feature, which allows the player to keep any Augments (characters keep any assigned augments, while unassigned augments remain in the inventory), rare summons (Rydia retains any of the rare summons she has already learned, while rare summon items remain in the inventory) and certain rare items (including tails, adamant equipment, onion equipment, apples, soma drops) and the Dark Matter item, which can be stolen during the final battle used to battle the Proto-Babil superboss in the second or third playthrough.
New Game Plus can only be used to play up to three playthroughs in a row. At the end of a fresh playthrough, the option to start again in New Game Plus mode is presented at the end of the game, after the credits. On the second playthrough, the option to start a third playthrough in New Game Plus mode is presented. No such option is presented after the third playthrough.
New Game Plus allows the player to view the ending again in the Event Theater and listen to the epilogue in the Music Box. The map completion data from the previous playthrough is also retained in the next playthrough, thus, there are no completion rewards.
After completing the game once, players choose a New Game+ option, which allows them to replay the game with all the same items, Materia, level, and equipment they had when they finished the game the first time.
However, all Digital Mind Wave characters are lost, except for Angeal and Sephiroth, along with all Mission data. Zack's weapon returns to being a regular sword rather than the Buster Sword. After completing the game again, there is a "New Game++" option, which acts the same way. There is, however, no new content that can be found on these replays.
New Game Plus appears as an option on the game's main menu after finishing the game and saving game-clear data. Soft-resetting the game after loading any file that is a New Game Plus also activates this option.
The following is carried over:
- All items in the inventory, with the exception of all Greens (as this would allow a player to catch a chocobo before the Ranch opens).
- Gil obtained.
- O'aka's current debt carries over, with an additional 1,000 gil added to his total.
- All accessories (characters do not, however, begin the new game with any accessories equipped).
- All dresspheres and Garment Grids, including their configuration. The First Steps grid is an exception: it will be reset to its "tutorial" config.
- All abilities (including any progress made towards unlearned ones), and all key items that teach abilities to certain dresspheres.
- Everything in Shinra's Bestiary and Dossiers, except for Shuyin's and Tidus's dossiers (see below).
- All Al Bhed Primers.
- All spheres purchased at the Luca Theater.
- Current high score in the Gunner's Gauntlet (which becomes the new score that must be beaten to clear the mission again).
- Blitzball stats and rankings.
- Completion percentage. Any previously-earned percentage will not be added to this new total.
- Play time.
- Any Fiend Tales completed in Shinra's Creature Creator.
- The current roster of eight creatures, as well as their learned abilities and permanent stat increases.
- All unlocked Tournaments in the Fiend Arena, as well as the number of times each one has been cleared.
The following is not carried over:
- Character and creature levels.
- Key items, with the exceptions of those listed above.
- Captured chocobos and any Gysahl Greens.
- All trap pods are lost and replaced with a single Trap Pod S.
- Everything related to the two Calm Lands companies, including PR ratings and credits.
- Matchmaking ratings.
- Bikanel excavation status and wages, as well as the the build status of the Experiment.
- Thunder Plains tower calibration scores.
- Sphere Break coins and their values.
- Checkpoints reached in the Via Infinito.
- Enemy formations unlocked in the Battle Simulator (except for aeons).
- The Fiend Arena config option is reset to Default and the Vibration option is reset to OFF.
- Shuyin's and Tidus's dossiers are reset to their Chapter 1 status (Shuyin's displays as ??? again, and Tidus's is missing)
The following new features are available in New Game+:
- Ending FMV scenes and additional music can be purchased at the Sphere Theater.
- Dossiers for Jecht, Auron, and Braska are unlocked.
- Scenes not viewed during the original playthrough will add percentage.
- International/HD Remaster: Kimahri, Lulu, Ormi, Logos, and Leblanc can be recruited into the Gullwings via Creature Creator.
The International version has two New Game Plus modes: Strong Mode, where all characters begin at level 90, and Weak Mode, where all characters begin at level 1 and never level up. Nothing carries over into these new save files. Strong Mode can be started after completing the game, and Weak Mode can be started after the player defeats the game's Trial Mode. Neither Strong Mode nor Weak Mode can be started at any other point in the game.
There is no New Game+ feature but special items called Gate Seals allow players to "lock" certain locations and replay the events in them to obtain rare monsters if they had been previously missed, and choose different options during Live Trigger sequences to obtain "prizes" from previous choices that weren't made. However, some parts are not replayable in this way; for example, players cannot redo the Temporal Rift anomalies.
On the first playthrough, New Game+ can be unlocked in two ways: either by getting a Game Over from running out of days, or successfully completing the game by defeating the final boss. On every playthrough thereafter, a crystal hourglass will appear in the Ark after the end of Day 2. The hourglass can instantly begin a New Game+ when touched, with all the benefits a standard New Game+ brings. The hourglass can also appear outside the doors leading to the final boss if Lightning is forced to escape the battle.
Every quest in the game has two sets of rewards; one for completing them the first time, and a second for every completion thereafter. Completing a quest a second time in New Game+, whether it's a main quest, sidequest or a request on the Canvas of Prayers, will give the player this secondary reward, which gives 1.5x more gil yet smaller stat increases.
On a similar note, the player can obtain upgraded versions of head accessories by opening the same treasure spheres across multiple playthroughs. Head accessories can be upgraded three times this way; afterwards, the spheres will contain gil instead. Arm accessories do not have upgrades; their chests will also only contain gil if obtained in a past playthrough. Previously-opened treasure spheres containing notes on monsters will now contain items that may be sold for gil.
No matter which way a New Game+ starts, the following is always carried over:
- All power from saved souls, including HP, Strength, Magic, EP and ATB increments, and recovery item slots.
- All non-quest items.
- All weapons and shields. However, Ultima Weapon and Ultima Shield, if obtained in the final dungeon, will revert back to Crimson Blitz and Night Lotus, respectively.
- All garbs, adornments, and accessories.
- EP abilities obtained.
- Gil obtained.
- Game time.
The following additional bonuses apply if a New Game+ is begun after defeating the final boss, or by using the crystal hourglass:
- The player can select Hard mode. On this difficulty, enemies are tougher and give less EP upon defeat, but they also drop better items and triple gil. Merchants across Nova Chrysalia will also stock a number of garbs and equipment exclusively on this difficulty (although some garbs can also be obtained via Outerworld challenge rewards). The player must defeat Bhunivelze once to unlock Hard Mode. If the player uses the Crystal of Atonement on the first playthrough after escaping the battle, Hard Mode will not be unlocked.
- The player will gain the ability to upgrade weapons and shields at Forges. Materials required for upgrades can be obtained by defeating various enemies. Some of the more common materials can also be purchased from Adventuring Essentials merchants.
- The player receives a key item from the Ark which allows them to activate Limit Break. This increases Lightning's maximum HP/Strength/Magic from 50000/5000/5000 to 99999/9999/9999, respectively. Battle scores cannot be posted to the Outerworld service while Limit Break is active.
- EP may be increased to 9, and item slots to 12 by completing main quests again.
The New Game Plus feature is available only to all players who have completed the game, allowing them to replay the game with the same weapons and stats as the end of their first journey. They are also given the item "Rood Inverse" which allows them to enter new passageways originally blocked-off during the first playthrough, such as the Iron Maiden.
The New Game Plus feature is available after completing the game for the first time. Any character experience, weapons, and accessories the player has gained carry over from the previous save file. New missions, cutscenes, and enemies are accessible in the second playthrough, as the game was designed to be played more than once. Progress through certain sidequests, such as Emina's and Kazusa's, is carried over to the next playthrough. Finis difficulty (enemy level +50) is unlocked on New Game Plus as well, and some rewards can only be obtained on this difficulty setting.
The New Game Plus feature is available after completing the game for the first time. New Game Plus saved games are indicated with a Crown and a Star symbol to the left of it. All Gil, equipment, experience points and items are carried over from the last game. New equipment are also available to buy and craft, and a new dungeon, River Belle, is unlocked together with a new boss. Enemies are also stronger in the new playthrough, and they now drop new loot.
The New Game Plus feature is implemented here, under the name Start+. Virtually everything from the old file is carried over to the new one, including party members and mercenaries, character levels, equipped armor, and the entire inventory.
After completing the game, the player will be asked to save a "clear file", which is differentiated from first-playthrough files by the addition of a small medal icon. By loading this file, the player can begin a second playthrough in which Layle's health total and inventory from the end of the first, are carried over. Also, the Layle Moogle now offers his services from the beginning of the game, and can be found in the entrance corridor of Alfitaria Capital City.
Uniquely, New Game Plus mode also contains new and expanded scenes that provide clearer context for certain storyline events:
- At the very beginning of the game, Althea discovers her father's crystallized corpse in the cockpit of the decommissioned Alexis.
- When Jegran boards the Selkie Train in search of Layle, the letter he is given by the mail moogle is revealed to be from Belle, attempting to extort 10,000,000 gil from him in exchange for the continued secrecy of his being a crystal bearer.
The New Game Plus feature becomes available after clearing the game with the "The End" chapter. Finishing the game with the "Finale" chapter will not grant access to New Game Plus.
Before starting the game, the player may choose which of the following progress will carry over:
- Custom Character Names
- Job Levels
- Genome Abilities
- Norende Village Population
- Norende Village Status
- D's Journal
- Special Moves
- Play Time
The player is also given the choice to start the game in another save file, instead of overwriting their old file.
On starting a new game, players are able to choose whether they would like to transfer save data from Dissidia Final Fantasy. If one opts to do so, there are two options: "New Game +", which carries over character levels, abilities, accessory slots, AP, Player Icons and bought PP Catalog items, and "Reset character levels", which does the same but resets levels, abilities and AP. Both options present the player with an "Elixir Pack" as bonus for transferring data.