- "A variety of magicite with the unusual property of absorbing Mist, thereby nullifying the effects of magick. Though there is some mention of nethicite in ancient tomes, it had been lost, or perhaps consumed, with no mention or record appearing for several centuries. Sky pirates call it the magicite of legend. Latterly, methods of manufacting nethicite have been developed in Archades, and at the time of writing, several test samples are in active use."
- —Nethicite, Sage Knowledge
- "We seek Raithwall's legacy... The ancient Relics of the Dynast King: deifacted nethicite."
- —Judge Ghis
Deifacted nethicite was created by the Occuria in the form of the Sun-Cryst. It has a large amount of magickal energy stored within it. The Occuria chose to give nethicite first to the garif, but they would not and could not use it to impact the world's events, so it was taken from them. King Raithwall was then selected.
He was given the Sword of Kings that could cleave pieces from the Sun-Cryst so that he could wield the power of nethicite in his hands. He severed three pieces, the Dawn Shard, the Midlight Shard, and the Dusk Shard. Each of these pieces held so much power it guaranteed his victory in battles and his legend.
The three pieces of nethicite had great power (essentially the magickal equivalent to a nuclear weapon), but could only be used once before needing to recharge slowly over hundreds of years. Judge Zecht was instructed by Doctor Cid to use the Midlight Shard, destroying Nabudis in the process. Judge Ghis used the Dawn Shard and accidentally destroyed himself and the entire 8th fleet.
There are three pieces of deifacted nethicite in the game. Each piece is said to be able to reveal a true descendant of King Raithwall, the Dynast King:
- The Dawn Shard is hidden in the Tomb of Raithwall. This piece is found and subsequently used, destroying the Dreadnought Leviathan, as well as the entire 8th fleet. Currently, Princess Ashe holds this shard, but it is drained of power.
- The Midlight Shard was held by the House Nabradia. However, after the Archadian invasion of Nabradia, Archadia was able to get a hold of this shard of nethicite. Wanting to test its power, they sent Judge Zecht to Nabudis. The results were catastrophic, destroying the capital and covering the area in a thick Mist. It was last known to be in the possession of Doctor Cid.
- The Dusk Shard was hidden in the Royal Palace of Rabanastre. It is proof of royal lineage of the Dalmascan line. Vaan steals it from the Palace, but is forced to hand it over to Judge Ghis when they sent aboard Dreadnought Leviathan to save Ashe. Currently, Doctor Cid holds this shard.
The word Deifacted means literally "God-made". During the events in Pharos at Ridorana Doctor Cid integrates the shards of deifacted nethicite back into the Sun-Cryst, which makes the entire crystal explode. Deifacted nethicite absorbs magickal energy, seen with the case of the Dusk Shard draining the power of Fran's hoverbike causing the sky pirates to crash into the Garamsythe Waterway, and how the Dawn Shard drains the power of the Leviathan when being placed in its engine.
- "No. No, the power of manufacted nethicite is the power of Man! A weapon forged by his wisdom... who would challenge the gods themselves! A fitting blade for a true Dynast King."
- —Judge Bergan
Manufacted nethicite is created by Doctor Cid under direction from the rogue Occuria Venat. The nethicite is created in the Draklor Laboratories from the magicite taken from the Lhusu Mines, where Lord Larsa was searching for more information about it. Manufacted nethicite absorbs magickal energy, and can stop or disrupt magick attacks directed at the wielder.
The power of manufacted nethicite is much more easily harnessed than deifacted nethicite. It can be charged with Mist, used, and charged again. It can be used to gather and concentrate large quantities of Mist, to create Jagd resistant skystones, summon Espers, and can even be implanted in a person's body in order to drastically increase their physical strength and magickal abilities. Judge Bergan, Doctor Cid, and Vayne Solidor are all known to have done this.
Unfortunately, extended use of nethicite is toxic to humans and causes the body to break down into Mist. Deifacted nethicite on the other hand, can only be used once, and the release of its power cannot be controlled, causing a catastrophic explosion of Mist, and takes centuries to recharge. However, its raw power and potential for destruction is far greater than manufacted nethicite.
There are two artifacts in the game that hold any power over nethicite:
- The Sword of Kings, which can either destroy nethicite, or cut pieces off the Sun-Cryst. Given to King Raithwall by the Occuria; they gave him this sword so that he may take as much nethicite as he wanted from the Sun-Cryst. Cutting off three shards, he used these shards to begin his rule of Ivalice. The sword was then sealed away in the Stilshrine of Miriam. It was probably stored here, so that no one would be able to destroy the nethicite.
- The Treaty Blade, which can either destroy nethicite, or cut pieces off the Sun-Cryst. Given to Princess Ashe by the Occuria; they gave her this sword so that she may take her own pieces of nethicite from the Sun-Cryst.
- "A gem bearing massive power. If you're lucky, this one is fake."
When Gabranth uses his EX Charge abilities to charge his EX Meter, he glows with the Nethicite when performing the ability. Also, when he has entered EX Mode, he will have a Nethicite aura.
- "A gem sent by the Dynast-King."
Nethicite returns as an accessory, and the said aura graphics on Gabranth are also retained.