The Monster Arena モンスターアリーナ (Monsutā Arīna?) is a Battle Arena in Final Fantasy X, situated in the Calm Lands. The Monster Arena is used to store fiends caught during the game. This is done by defeating the monster while using weapons with the Capture special ability, which can only be purchased here.
Once the monsters are caught they can be battled at any time within the arena for a fee. If certain conditions are met new creations are bred and can be fought. As new monsters are bred, the owner rewards the party with special, and often rare, items. For each new creation the first battle is free, but any fight after costs. The most expensive battle is against Nemesis, costing 25,000 gil each time. Within the arena, the player cannot get a Game Over after defeat: they simply return to the entrance and can heal, and then try again.
A lot of the Monster Arena monsters' equipment drops are semi-fixed. Some monsters, including all original creations except Neslug, drop equipment that provides a 6% critical hit chance bonus instead of the usual 3% (this is relevant to weapons and armors, but only to attacks that deal physical damage).
In the monster directory there are 13 different sections. These are the different areas in which monsters can be found. The areas and monsters in them are shown below.
Some monsters appear in more than one area, however, for capturing purposes they count towards the same area regardless of where you find them. For example, a Nidhogg captured on Mt. Gagazet still counts towards Cavern of the Stolen Fayth. In most (but not all) such cases, the fiend counts towards the first area where it can appear.
The following fiends also appear in Mi'ihen Highroad, but count towards other areas for capturing purposes:
- Thunder Flan (Mushroom Rock Road)
The following fiends also appear in Djose, but count towards other areas for capturing purposes:
- Raptor (Mushroom Rock Road)
- Gandarewa (Mushroom Rock Road)
- Funguar (Mushroom Rock Road)
- Lamashtu (Mushroom Rock Road)
The following fiends also appear in Stolen Fayth Cavern, but count towards other areas for capturing purposes:
- Malboro (Calm Lands)
- Coeurl (Calm Lands)
- Dark Flan
The following fiends also appear in Mt, Gagazet, but count towards other areas for capturing purposes:
- Nidhogg (Stolen Fayth Cavern)
- Imp (Stolen Fayth Cavern)
- Gemini (sword)
- Gemini (mace)
- Great Malboro
- Behemoth King
The following fiends also appear Inside Sin, but count towards other areas for capturing purposes:
- Ahriman (Mt. Gagazet)
- Varuna (Omega Ruins) (only past point of no return)
- Floating Death
- Black Element
- Master Coeurl
- Master Tonberry
The following fiends also appear in Omega Ruins, but count towards other areas for capturing purposes. This does not include fiends which can only appear in Omega Ruins as fixed encounters in the basement room.
- Wraith (Inside Sin)
- Demonolith (Inside Sin)
- Great Malboro (Inside Sin)
- Adamantoise (Inside Sin)
Once certain requirements have been met new monsters can be unlocked.
There are three extra groups in which the unlocked monsters are in:
- Nirvana (reopen the Monster Arena, Celestial Mirror required)
- Blossom Crown (catch the fiends from Mt. Gagazet)
- Mars Sigil (breed ten monsters in Area and Species Conquests)
|Trouble with the audio sample?|
The theme that plays at the Monster Arena is called "Bravely Forward".
- It is unknown what became of the owner of the Monster Arena between Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X-2, and in Final Fantasy X-2 it has been abandoned.
- There is a moving statue of an Anacondaur and three Gemini swords around the entrance to the arena. If the statue is investigated in Final Fantasy X, subtitles will say "It's alive...".