Mobius Final Fantasy, titled early in development as Mevius Final Fantasy, is a free-to-play role playing game for iOS and Android, produced by Yoshinori Kitase. The game is said to take the "classic road" with features like map exploration–although moving across the map will be automated–tactical battles, and a leveling system. The game focuses on Wol. The scenario is written by Kazushige Nojima and is said to be on par with a numbered game, featuring refined plot twists. Since the game will have the Warriors of Light as a theme, it pays homage to the first Final Fantasy game with inclusion of a variety of references to it, but it is not a remake and has a new story and setting.
Although the player selects the places to go on the map and is automatically transported there, the exploration of the fields, strategic battles and leveling systems conform to the orthodox Final Fantasy games. The game will feature a job system.
The battle system follows the traditional smartphones controls: they are simple and fighting happens by tapping the screen. players can also use magic abilities, including fire and blizzard. Some enemy types have elemental weaknesses: by casting a blizzard spell on fire elemental monsters will become weakened, making it easier to finish them off. Similar to the Final Fantasy XIII saga, Mobius Final Fantasy also uses stagger system, where even more damage can be done. By defeating these mighty beasts, the player will also gather elements as loot.
Similar to other Final Fantasy games, there will be a summon system where the player can utilize eidolons such as Shiva, Onion Knight and Fat Chocobo in battles. The player can also rename the hero the way they like.
Multiplayer Mode was introduced in the Japanese release in February 2016 along with the announcement of Final Fantasy Record Keeper collaboration.
- Wol - A foreigner from an unknown planet that drifted his way into Palamecia. He lost his memories and doesn't remember how he arrived in Palamecia. Detached from reality, he fights on to continue living.
- Meia - A princess from the Kingdom of Zahn. A Warrior of Light chosen by the crystal.
- Sarah Cornelia - A princess and a Cornelia family descendant of the Palamecian Kingdom. Fitting to her stature as a princess, she's neat and tidy, but occasionally shows a cuter side. She's been waiting for the Warrior of Light told by prophecies.
- Mog - Mog is from one of Palamecia's races, known as moogles. Mog feels something special after meeting the protagonist, and decides to act as his guide. Moogles are a special being that have the ability to cooperate using their senses and memories.
- Echo - A fairy that aids Wol in his journey.
- Garland - A Palamecian knight.
This world is not your home,
For you hail from elsewhere.
All you have ever known is war.
All your memories have vanished.
You've drifted without them to the land of Palamecia.
There are many outsiders here like you.
With your past erased from memory, they have begun to call you The Blank.
Though you have lost your past, you may still hold the future.
In Palamecia, there is a prophecy:
"When despair enshrouds the world, a Warrior of Light shall appear."
This world is under siege by the evil armies of Chaos.
In accordance with the prophecy, a hero with no past will arise to save the world.
Among the blankers, there is one, perhaps even you,
Who will emerge as the legendary Warrior of Light.
Fight for the future, Blank, and bring hope to Palamecia.
During the Famitsu interview with Sakaguchi and Kitase where Mobius Final Fantasy was unveiled, Sakaguchi was impressed with the game's graphics and asked Kitase if the player can zoom in on the world map. Kitase replied that currently that was not possible, but Sakaguchi urged them to add the feature, as well as a moon. Kitase argued that if the game has a moon players will want to go there and Sakaguchi retorted that being the point.
The interviewer suggested Kitase and Sakaguchi do a collaboration of Sakaguchi's Terra Battle and Kitase's Mobius Final Fantasy. Both were on board with the idea.
For a smartphone game the staff for Mobius Final Fantasy is bigger than any previous title of that sort and it is mostly developed in-house. The staff consists of people who work on the numbered Final Fantasy games. Mobius Final Fantasy is the first Final Fantasy mobile game of this scope, although parts of the illustrations and graphics are outsourced. Kitase explained that even though it is possible to make games like on dedicated game console also on smartphones, they didn't seem to exist and that's why they wanted to make one. He also added that players spend most of their gaming time on smart devices.
The game was released August 3rd, 2016 in the west. From launch until August 31, Square Enix awarded players with special in-game items, including Brotherhood, Tidus's signature weapon from Final Fantasy X, a Yuna character card, extra Ability Tickets, Summon Tickets, and more. Daily login rewards including extra Bronze Openers, Ability Tickets and Elixirs, will also be available through August 12.
Mobius Final Fantasy will release on Steam in Japan in November 2016.
- Minimum requirements
- OS: Windows 7, 64 bit.
- CPU: Intel/AMD Dual Core CPU 1.6GHz or more.
- Memory: 2GB or more.
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT or GeForce GT 240 / ATI Radeon HD 4770 512MB.
- DirectX： Version 9.0c
- Storage: 10GB or more free of space.
- Open GL 2.0.
- Network connection: Required
- Recommended system requirements
- OS: Windows 7 64bit/Windows 8.1 64bit/Windows 10 64bit.
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66GHz or Core i5 2.4GHz.
- Memory: 3GB or more.
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460/GeForce GTX 750/ATI Radeon HD 5770 512MB.
- DirectX: Version 9.0c
- Storage: 10GB or more free of space.
- Sound card: DirectSound compatible soundcard (DirectX 9.0c)
- Open GL 2.0
- Network connection: Required.
|Art Director||Toshitaka Matsuda|
|Character Designer||Toshiyuki Itahana|
|Wol||Nobunaga Shimazaki||Bryce Papenbrook|
|Echo||Sakura Tange||Sarah Anne Williams|
|Sarah Cornelia||Yumi Hara|
|Garland||Keiji Fujiwara||Keith Silverstein|
Mobius Final Fantasy makes references to other Final Fantasy games.
The game is named after the Möbius strip. The "8"-shaped figure in the logo can also be seen as a variation on the Möbius strip. Möbius strip, or simply Mobius, is a surface with only one side and only one boundary. An example of a Möbius strip can be created by taking a paper strip and giving it a half-twist, and then joining the ends of the strip together to form a loop. Thus it can be considered that the name "Mobius" refers to the concept of how many elements from other games in the series are incorporated into Mobius and make a harmonic whole.
- Official Japanese website
- Official English website
- Official Japanese Wiki
- First look video
- Japanese iTunes App Store
- English iTunes App Store
- Japanese Google Play
- English Google Play
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 http://www.siliconera.com/2014/12/16/mevius-final-fantasy-upcoming-smartphone-game-yoshinori-kitase/
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaAtu_8RHKs
- ↑ http://kotaku.com/the-latest-final-fantasy-looks-to-the-original-1672158436
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 17th December 2014 issue of Famitsu
- ↑ http://www.finalfantasy.jp/mobius/cpn/win_regi.html
- ↑ http://gematsu.com/2016/10/mobius-final-fantasy-coming-pc-via-steam-november-japan
- ↑ Mobius Final Fantasy now available in the west (Accessed: October 19, 2016) at Gematsu
- ↑ http://www.finalfantasy.net/mobile-dlg/mevius-final-fantasy-update/
- ↑ Character: Player (Accessed: October 19, 2016) at Mobius Final Fantasy official site
- ↑ Bryce Papenbrook (Accessed: October 19, 2016) at Twitter
- ↑ Character: Mog (Accessed: October 19, 2016) at Mobius Final Fantasy official site
- ↑ Character: Echo (Accessed: October 19, 2016) at Mobius Final Fantasy official site
- ↑ Sarah Anne Williams (Accessed: October 19, 2016) at Twitter
- ↑ Character: Sarah (Accessed: October 19, 2016) at Mobius Final Fantasy official site
- ↑ Character: Garland (Accessed: October 19, 2016) at Mobius Final Fantasy official site
- ↑ Keith Silverstein (Accessed: October 19, 2016) at Twitter