The Milities Empire's capital is Ingram where the White Peristylium, an organization that conducts research into the energy from the Byakko crystal, is located. Different from the crystals of other countries, whose power can be wielded only by a select few like the students of the Vermilion Peristylium, the power of the Byakko crystal is used to create weapons and Magitek for both military and domestic affairs. When the Milites Emperor had gone missing, Cid Aulstyne takes over all government affairs as well as the White Peristylium. Cid then used the Militesi government to break the Pax Codex and sparked a war between the nations by invading Rubrum to obtain the Vermilion Bird Crystal.
Milites is Latin for "soldiers."
The nations of Orience are based on the Four Symbols.
Four Symbols (Chinese: 四象; pinyin: Sì Xiàng) are four mythological creatures in the Chinese constellations. They are the Azure Dragon, (Qing Long) of the East, the Vermilion Bird (Zhu Que) of the South, the White Tiger (Bai Hu) of the West, and the Black Turtle (Xuan Wu) of the North. While originating from China, the Four Symbols are also widely known in Korea, Japan and Vietnam. Each region have distinct names for the symbols. In Japan, the Shijin, as they are collectively known, are called Seiryū, Suzaku, Byakko and Genbu respectively.The
The country's attributes and qualities, as well as symbolism to one of the animals of the Four Symbols is evident in its themes.
- Representing the west, the nation is also situated in the westernmost region of Orience.
- Representing the season of Autumn, the nation boasts a continuous overcast sky, with an upper continental climate.
- Aligned with the Wu Xing element of Metal, the Byakko Crystal manifests its use through technology and machinery, as metal is a material common in innovative uses. Metal also being the prime material for weaponry, it is also symbolic of martial force and death, both of which Milites has much of and causes greatly, respectively.
- Its animal the White Tiger, the animal is also seen in the ranks of its military and heraldry.
- The Milites Empire seems to have a form of writing that looks similar to Norse runes.