- “Scion of darkness ruling and protecting those who live in the underworld, in opposition to Lahabrea the Abyssal Celebrant and scion of light. In the course of his rule, he submitted to avarice, and the darkness took his heart, transforming him until he was both evil and corrupt. Then in his cowardice did he bind a Goddess of the Demesne of Ice, and using her as a living shield, he challenged the gods. Defeated before their might, he fell screaming into the depths of hell, there to be imprisoned for eternity.”
- —Clan Primer Bio
Mateus the Corrupt (背徳の皇帝マティウス, Haitoku no Koutei Matiusu?, lit. The Corrupt Emperor Mateus) is a recurring entity in the world of Ivalice. He is associated with the element of Ice and the Zodiac sign of Pisces, the Fish, which is reflected by the fish-like aspects to his appearance. He is also referred to as the Meena Ascendant, which is the Sanskrit name of its Zodiac sign as used in Jyotish (Hindu) astrology. It should be noted that Mateus is a male, being the creature with multiple limbs wielding a trident. The blue female is the goddess he used as a living shield.
- For the battle information, see: Mateus (Final Fantasy XII Boss)
Mateus's License costs 25 LP, and he requires one Mist Charge to summon.
Flash-Freeze: An ice-elemental attack that acts as a stronger form of Blizzard.
Frostwave: A Blizzard-elemental and Mateus's ultimate attack. Mateus dives into a lake, after momentarily charging his trident, he launches the weapon towards the enemy. The force of the trident results in a column of water engulfing the opponent. The column freezes, and the immediate vicinity experiences a drastic decrease in temperature. The column begins to crack before the entire screen shatters.
|1||Summon time remaining < 10s||Frostwave|
|2||Self: HP < 30%||Frostwave|
|3||Summoner: HP < 50%||Cura|
|4||Foe: absorbs ice||Attack|
- Attack: 65
- Defense: 39
- Magick Defense: 25
|Level||Max HP||Max MP||Speed||Strength||Magic||Vitality|
- Piercing Magick
- Main article: Mateus (Revenant Wings)
- “The corrupt.”
- —In-game Description
Mateus is the Rank III Water Flying summon in Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings. Mateus can use the spells Flash-Freeze and Blizzaja. Filo learns her Quickening, Wind Soul, after defeating Mateus. The Goddess which Mateus bound to him is referred to as Mateus in this game.
- For the battle information, see: Mateus (Tactics Advance)
Mateus is a Totema of the human race, and is obtained by fighting her in the dimensional rift. When summoned, Mateus is less damaging to humans. Unlike the other appearances of Mateus, the Totema is an armored female warrior, not an armor with a goddess as a living shield.
Mateus returns as a Scion, along with the other Espers, in Final Fantasy Tactics A2. Mateus can be called by the Corsage of Corruption. His Wrath, Frostwave, deals heavy Ice damage to all foes.
Mateus appears in Final Fantasy Trading Card Game.
Mateus's name is taken directly from Emperor Mateus of Final Fantasy II. His backstory in Final Fantasy XII also has similar elements to the Emperor's, particularly the concept of a once virtuous ruler getting corrupted and eventually banished to Hell.
Mateus is the Portuguese form of the name Matthew, which means "gift of god".
- Even though the goddess is bound to Mateus and acts as his 'shield', her head acts as Mateus's face, and always faces his target.
- Mateus is referred to as female in Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings.