- “This gigantic Esper strikes down its enemies with waves of pure wrath.”
- —Final Fantasy VI PlayStation esper section
Maduin, also known as Madeen (マディン, Madin?) is a recurring summon in the Final Fantasy series. Maduin has appeared as both a man and a woman, and takes the form of a bestial, usually leonid, human that is a Holy-elemental summon.
- Main article: Maduin (Final Fantasy VI)
Madeen is disguised as a moogle named Mog, who lived and grew up with Eiko Carol in Madain Sari. When Zorn and Thorn kidnap Eiko and take her to Mount Gulug, Mog comes out of Eiko's pocket and goes into Trance, revealing herself as the eidolon Madeen.
Madeen urges Eiko to use her special ability, Terra Homing, which eliminates Zorn and Thorn. Afterward, Madeen reminds Eiko she will always be with her before disappearing entirely. Madeen is never referred to as a male eidolon, even after abandoning its female form, so this is the only game in which it is assumed to be female.
Eiko can learn to summon Madeen from the Ribbon add-on. Madeen's summon attack is Terra Homing (テラホーミング, Tera Hōmingu?) to deal Holy-elemental damage. Madeen's spell power increases with Eiko's level (see Summon (Final Fantasy IX)#Mechanics for damage formulae), and costs 54 MP to summon.
Location: Memoria, Treno (Eidolon Master in Card Stadium)
Madeen can be learned from the Cheer Staff by the Summoner class. It uses the most MP of all the summons in the game, taking 36 MP and needing 300 AP to master. This summon deals Holy-elemental damage to all targeted enemies, and has a Magic Power of 52. It is stealable through the ability Steal: Ability, and is also susceptible to Return Magic and Absorb MP.
Maduin is a Holy-elemental esper, and similar to its Final Fantasy Tactics Advance appearance, deals Holy damage to all units within a large area, and is learned by the Summoner from using the Cheer Staff. It requires 350 AP to master and 24 MP to cast.
- Main article: Madeen (Crystal Defenders)
Madeen appears in this game not as a summon, but a boss.
Maduin does not appear in person, but two items make reference to it. Terra's Level 100 exclusive weapon is called "Maduin's Horn" after the esper in Final Fantasy VI. The "Maduin's Fang" accessory explicitly makes reference to Madeen's transformation in Final Fantasy IX.
While Maduin and Madeen have always been the same creature in the Japanese releases, the description of Maduin's Fang refers to the Final Fantasy IX Madeen as Maduin, marking the first and only time the two creatures have been addressed as the same being in the English release.
Maduin appears in Pictlogica Final Fantasy as an item held by Terra.
Madeen is the sole eidolon that Eiko can summon in Final Fantasy All the Bravest. It performs Terra Homing when summoned.
Madeen from Final Fantasy IX appears in the trading card game with a Shine-elemental card.
Non-Final Fantasy AppearancesEdit
Maduin is a card in Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable.
- In Final Fantasy XII, there exists a Mystic Armor body piece called Maduin Gear: it provides 31 points in Defense, 8 points in Magick Power, and costs 7,000 gil and can be purchased at Phon Coast's Hunters' Camp and in Archades at Charlotte's Magickery. It requires "Mystic Armor 7" which costs 30 LP for character to be able to equip it.
- In the Dawn of Souls, 20th Anniversary and iOS remakes of the original Final Fantasy, Maduin is one of the automatic names the player can choose for the Monk Job.