|Final Fantasy XII Enemy|
|Lv.99 Red Chocobo|
|Bestiary Location||The Ozmone Plain|
|Location||Ozmone Plain (Haulo Green)|
|Rare Steal||Empyreal Soul|
|Common Drop||Ribbon (Equipment)|
|Very Rare Drop||N/A|
|Monograph Drop||Gemsteel (90%)|
|Canopic Jar Drop||High Arcana (90%)|
|Innate abilities||Safety, White Wind, Null Knockback, Focus, Parry, Counter+|
|Immune to||All except Reflect, Protect, Shell, Haste, Bravery, Faith, Invisible, Regen, Berserk|
|Other Information||1/256 chance to spawn.|
The Lv.99 Red Chocobo is an elusively rare chocobo in Final Fantasy XII. It is one of the few Level 99 enemies in the game. It uses Choco-Comet in combat for roughly 4,000 to 5,000 damage, and drops the Ribbon accessory as common loot. It has 239,686 HP, but this displays as only 99,999 with Libra.
Note: Shares Bestiary Entry with other Chocobos.
- Genus: Avion
- Class: Chocobo
Page 1: ObservationsEdit
- “What creature, fair or foul, has affected the lives of the common man more than the noble chocobo? Though the yellow chocobo is by far the most common, and the only domesticable sort, many other wild breeds of differing hues have been identified. In general, the other colorations of chocobo tend to be quite violent, giving rise to the saying: "Yellow, best for riding; aught else, best be hiding.
Even as tame chocobos are known for their temper, true domestication requires time and expertise. Their curiosity can often get them into trouble, but they are charming nevertheless, and popular throughout Ivalice. As famed naturalist Merlose once wrote: "a little personality goeth a long way.”
Page 2: The Town CrierEdit
- “Hear ye, hear ye! Good news for those knights who are sensitive of nose! Thanks to recent discovers, you can bid a fond farewell to troublesome chocobo odors! The method is simple: ply your chocobo chick with only fresh gysahl greens, and that disconcertingly disgusting stench will diminish by up to three quarters! The news isn't all good, however, as it takes two to three years to raise a chocobo to riding age, meaning that the fragrant fruits of your labor won't ripen for some time.”
To spawn this chocobo, the player must kill at least six chocobos in the Haulo Green area of the Ozmone Plain, then move two areas away and return. Odds are 1/256 that the Lv.99 Red Chocobo will spawn among one of the six chocobos. To cut down on walking time, the player can kill, leave and return once, and then Petrify the chocobos, which will respawn continuously. Two of the six chocobos are placeholders for the Lv.99 Red Chocobo; the ones at the bottom of the attack menu, Black Chocobo A and Black Chocobo D.
Two Lv.99 Red Chocobos can be spawned at the same time, but the graphics engine will not allow them to be displayed on the same screen simultaneously.
The Lv.99 Red Chocobo is larger than the other chocobos in the vicinity and is colored red, making it easy to distinguish. It will never be encountered asleep, unlike its normal-sized counterparts, due to its immunity to all negative status ailments.
The Lv.99 Red Chocobo is a powerful enemy and can be difficult to defeat if the party is not prepared. It will continuously use Choco-Comet once it has spotted the player, hitting all characters in range for massive damage.
Reverse or Bubble may be necessary to survive. Hitting its elemental weaknesses, by reflecting Thundaga on all party members, or equipping Holy-elemental weapons, such as the Excalibur, may prove helpful.
One viable strategy is inflicting it with Berserk to make it focus on only one character at a time, although high evasion or constant healing will be needed to survive its strong normal attacks. Equipping one character with an Ensanguined Shield while under the Lure status is considered the easiest strategy for defeating it, as all of its attacks can be blocked by the shield-holder while the other party members attack it unharmed.
The name "chocobo" is likely a reference to the Japanese chocolate malt ball, chokõbo.
- A randomly encountered party consisting of five yellow chocobos and one Level 99 Red Chocobo named Redhawk can be encountered in Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift, appearing in the Corpolk Field of the Goug region. Defeating them will grant the clan the accessory needed to summon Shemhazai, the Armlet of Whispers.
- Its rare steal, the Empyreal Soul, and its monograph drop, the Gemsteel, are two types of loot needed to make the Tournesol.
- By using a glitch involving the Garif Hunter, it is possible to make the Lv.99 Red Chocobo target the player while they're mounted on a chocobo and have it pursue them (within the area) without being able to attack, rather than just continue ignoring the player, as enemies are programmed to do whenever a character is riding a chocobo.
- Black Chocobo
- White Chocobo
- Red Chocobo
- Brown Chocobo
- Green Chocobo
- Bull Chocobo (Rare)
- Trickster (Elite Mark)