|Age||About 12 - 14 (Final Fantasy Tactics A2)|
|Job class||Game Hunter (Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions)|
Soldier (Final Fantasy Tactics A2)
|Final Fantasy Tactics A2 Character|
- “An energetic boy with more than enough curiosity. Fearless, which gets him into trouble. A prankster, which also gets him in trouble. Never abandons someone in need.”
Luso Clemens is the main male protagonist of Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift, who also appears as an optional playable character in Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions. A young schoolboy who, one day while cleaning up the school library, finds the Grimoire of the Rift, and accidentally summons the past Ivalice.
Appearance and PersonalityEdit
While Luso is usually depicted with blue eyes, in his main concept art for Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions his eyes are brown. He has brown wavy hair he keeps in a ponytail and wears a red hat with a silver brooch. He wears yellow dungarees with a white-lined russet vest under it, and has a round plate with a four-leaf clover motif on the side of his chest. He has a steel-blue belt with a black-and-red beetle motif, and a second belt hanging below it made of leather from which Luso hangs a bag where he keeps the grimoire. A green shawl is wrapped around his waist. He has a blue gauntlet and a silver shield on his left arm, and a regular sleeve and a glove on his right arm. Luso's shoes have heels and he wields a giant sword with a chain.
In Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions his appearance remains similar, although simpler. He has different shoes and no knee-guards, the green shawl is of simpler design and the bag he carries is different; although it appears he is still carrying a book.
- “There's only one way to end a story.”
Luso Clemens is a student known for his mischievous streak. Just before the school's summer break Luso is sent by Mr. Blair to help Mr. Randell, the school's librarian, to clean the library as punishment. Mr. Randell is not in when he arrives, so he takes the opportunity to explore. Luso finds a mysterious book on the table with its pages empty, save for an inscription asking the reader to write the name of the one who would finish the book.
Luso writes down his name, and is warped to the world of Ivalice. Luso appears in front of a Crushatrice and its Cockatrice flock, but it Clan Gully, led by Cid, is at the scene. To help him, Cid urges Luso to join his clan, summoning a Judge to help with the process. Luso is made a Soldier, and helps Clan Gully defeat the Crushatrice.
During one of the quests he takes with the clan, Luso and Cid discover that he has with him a magick journal. Luso recalls the mysterious book that brought him to Ivalice, and they conclude a magician named Lezaford may know about the book. Luso takes a quest where he meets up with, and is joined by, the infamous Adelle the Cat. Adelle accompanies him in the quest after Cid is injured on a night-time stroll while trying to find information on Lezaford's whereabouts.
Adelle and Luso find Lezaford at the Aldanna Range, where the mage takes a closer look at Luso's journal and declares it to be a grimoire, a magickal tome with the power to return Luso to his world. Lezaford assures Luso he would only need to fill out the grimoire's pages by living out his life in Ivalice the best he can. Luso concludes the best way to do this is to take every possible mission available at the pub.
During a mission at Tramdine Fens, Luso is infected with a wayward spirit that begins to haunt his dreams. After defeating the Oversoul at the Nazan Mines, some of Luso's memories are available for the player to see. Adelle learns Luso's parents have died and he was raised by his aunt, a woman who often worried after Luso's tardiness.
Luso meets the Nightshade Illua at Zellea, the Forbidden Land, and defeats her and the Neukhia that spawn out of her grimoire. By doing this, his grimoire is completed, and he is allowed to return home. His friends gather at Targ Wood, the site of Luso's appearance in Ivalice, to see the Judge send him off in a column of light. Upon returning to the school library, Luso tells his story to Mr. Randell, who believes him (as Mr. Randell had previously been sent to Ivalice in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, though a different kind) and allows Luso to keep the grimoire. Luso continues to use the book as a journal, recording not his adventures in Ivalice, but those of his own world.
- “If it's dinner you're after...I'll feed you a length of iron!”
- —Luso to the horde of Behemoths
After leaving the Orbonne Monastery in Chapter 3, Ramza encounters Luso being chased by Behemoths in Zeklaus Desert. Ramza, knowing Luso cannot defeat them on his own, helps Luso and together they defeat the Behemoths.
Luso explains he is a Game Hunter, and he is looking for his friends. Luso asks if he can join Ramza's party in the hopes of finding his friends, and Ramza gladly accepts.
- Main article: Game Hunter
Luso's Job class is Game Hunter, a Job class specializing on hunting monsters. He joins at level 25 with 55 Bravery, 48 Faith, and comes equipped with the Icebrand, Platinum Shield, Crystal Helm, Jujitsu Gi, and Elven Cloak.
When fought in Rendezvous Missions #14: Brave Story, he is level 99 and starts with 71 Bravery and 63 Faith. He is equipped with the Icebrand, Crystal Shield, Thief's Cap, Luminous Robe, and a random accessory. He comes with the Huntcraft command, as well as the abilities Reflexes, Tame, Move +1, and a random movement ability.
According to Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift, Luso's musical theme is "Luso". Parts of the song were used in "A Hymn for the Journey" (which is the song Hurdy played before Luso comes back to his home world), "A Sound that Connects the World", "Each Tale", and "Words Put Together".
Luso has two fire-elemental cards in the Final Fantasy Trading Card Game.
"Luso" is an adjective of Latin origin that describes the region of the Iberian Peninsula that corresponds to Portugal. Whether by design or coincidence, he wears the colors of Portuguese flag. "Clemens" is a Latin word meaning "kind, merciful, gentle".
- A voice in Luso's point of view could be heard at the Japanese trailer of Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift, though it is unknown who the voice is. Luso is voiced by Justin Cowden in Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions.
- On various occasions, Vaan refers to Luso as "Red Cap".
- In an early draft for Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift Luso was the last villager of a village, with the other villagers having gone away or died. They abandoned this plot in the sense that it was deemed too dark, but it may have been used for Adelle's backstory when she speaks to Lezaford the second time, as she alludes to a plague wiping out her village, with herself being the only survivor due to her being a Gifted One. Ironically, Luso's eventual plot point has been criticized as childish.
- Luso is afraid of ghosts, which he is teased for by Adelle in a mission. This is also brought up by random encounters with ghosts as predominant enemies. Instead of Luso saying the usual "Ack! We're under attack!", he would ask, "H-Hey, that wasn't a ghost, was it?".
- Luso's Zodiac sign is Cancer, first seen in Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions.
- Luso's large rounded sword at the artwork had appeared in the Bishop's ability "Judge", while Marche and Cid also has the same large rounded sword at his artwork. This may imply that Luso's artwork sword is indeed the Judge Sword. Regardless, the player cannot obtain it for personal use. The sword looks largely identical to the weapon held by Rue, the protagonist in Threads of Fate, another Square title.